Contenders

Chat about any non-Posh related football matters here.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

OBM

Contenders

Post by OBM »

Can you see any of the teams outside the top six making a run for a play off place or better, if so who? and who is going to drop out of the running?
ashman

Re: Contenders

Post by ashman »

OBM wrote: 21 Feb 2021, 14:04 Can you see any of the teams outside the top six making a run for a play off place or better, if so who? and who is going to drop out of the running?
Way too early for any sort of predictions just yet.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

OBM wrote: 21 Feb 2021, 14:04 Can you see any of the teams outside the top six making a run for a play off place or better, if so who? and who is going to drop out of the running?
Our "combined wisdom" at the start of the season. In Poshay's prediction game said that the top six would be.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30811
1 Portsmouth
and Sunderland - equal top
3 P'boro
4 Charlton
5 Ipswich
6 Oxford
My guess right now is that Lincoln will replace Ipswich in that six and Accrington will replace Oxford and Hull will replace Charlton
The top six might be (not necessarily in this order!)
1 Posh
2 Portsmouth
3 Lincon
4 Accrington
5 Sunderland
6 Hull
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Nobody is brave enough to have a go, OBM.
They have probably been put off by ashman's "too early" comment. (Even though some of them didn't think it was too early at the beginning of the season).
Anyway, you asked the questions. What do you think?
OBM

Post by OBM »

I probably didn't ask the question very well, I was not trying to re run the prediction league but looking for a team coming into the frame with a late run possibly Blackpool and someone currently sitting pretty dropping out, hopefully Lincoln, as you say it did not capture the imagination
Brianposh

Post by Brianposh »

Blackpool was my dark horse team, still think they will be in top 8.
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

I have my doubts about Hull and Doncaster staying the course.

Hull have already lost ten games, and their captain, Smallwood, is out for the season. They had the wind in their sails after winning 5-0 at Wigan; since then they've twice let a two-goal lead slip at Doncaster: maybe conceding the late equaliser caused a hangover, as they subsequently lost at home to Ipswich.

Doncaster's two games in hand would push them close to us if they won both, but they have secured one point from their last four games, and games in hand may prove a mixed blessing when the fixture list is already congested. I'm hoping they fall out of contention, as it might make our end-of-season double-header with them somewhat less challenging.

Blackpool are in good form at the moment (the postponement of our fixture there may have been helpful for us). They have three games in hand on us, but that leaves them with a lot of football to play in a short time.
ashman

Post by ashman »

Sunderland looking a touch ominous!
HantsPosh

Post by HantsPosh »

Any Lee Johnson team will lose 6 or 7 in a row at some point, every club he's been at does it and usually more than once as well
blueboro

Post by blueboro »

Brianposh wrote: 23 Feb 2021, 22:48 Blackpool was my dark horse team, still think they will be in top 8.
I agree Blackpool will make it into playoff spot
blueboro

Post by blueboro »

Or just outside like you said top 8
OBM

Post by OBM »

Blackpool making progress again today and they have a gimme on Tuesday.
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

HantsPosh wrote: 25 Feb 2021, 13:24 Any Lee Johnson team will lose 6 or 7 in a row at some point, every club he's been at does it and usually more than once as well
Now would be a good time for Sunderland to begin that run; they look like a team that's forgotten how to lose.
ashman

Post by ashman »

JohnC wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 22:59
HantsPosh wrote: 25 Feb 2021, 13:24 Any Lee Johnson team will lose 6 or 7 in a row at some point, every club he's been at does it and usually more than once as well
Now would be a good time for Sunderland to begin that run; they look like a team that's forgotten how to lose.
Yep, that would be excellent timing!
Brianposh

Post by Brianposh »

It only counts when you accurately forecast during the FIRST month of the Season, not in the last week or so !!! :D :clap:
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.