Waching the Darts Grand Prix

General discussion - chat about anything you want!

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

bristleposh

Waching the Darts Grand Prix

Post by bristleposh »

As usual, I love the darts, and in the commentary tonight I was reminded of one of the many great quotes from the much-missed Sid Waddell.

"In one word. 'Magic darts'"

A twisted nerve, a ganglion gone awry,
Predestinates the sinner and the saint
ashman

Re: Waching the Darts Grand Prix

Post by ashman »

bristleposh wrote: 05 Oct 2021, 23:05 As usual, I love the darts, and in the commentary tonight I was reminded of one of the many great quotes from the much-missed Sid Waddell.

"In one word. 'Magic darts'"
'I can't believe what's happening visually, in front of my eyes.'

Sid and Murray Walker, both legends of their particular sport - although darts is not a sport imo!

Here's a few more of Murray's classical quotes!

https://www.brainyquote.com/authors/mur ... ker-quotes
'Everybody needs to have a friend'
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2012/ ... ell-quotes

Far more of a sport than F1 could ever possibly be, it should be in the Olympics, something that F1 could never aspire to be. A rich man's sport played by multi-millionaires, unlike Darts which is a people's game that can be played by anyone no matter what their income.

ashman

Post by ashman »

bristleposh wrote: 06 Oct 2021, 08:12 https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2012/ ... ell-quotes

Far more of a sport than F1 could ever possibly be, it should be in the Olympics, something that F1 could never aspire to be. A rich man's sport played by multi-millionaires, unlike Darts which is a people's game that can be played by anyone no matter what their income.
To be a darts player, drink until your centre of gravity is low enough to keep you steady on the oche and have no form of fitness whatsoever.

Waddells comments about some players! Says it all!

"He's perspiring like a pudding in a pot."

"His eyes are bulging like the belly of a hungry chaffinch."

"His face is sagging with tension."

To be an F1 driver you need a top level of fitness (remember how well the F1 drivers did in Superstars TV Programme from 1973) At no point was there a darts player included in the lineup!
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

ashman wrote: 06 Oct 2021, 08:41
bristleposh wrote: 06 Oct 2021, 08:12 https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2012/ ... ell-quotes

To be a darts player, drink until your centre of gravity is low enough to keep you steady on the oche and have no form of fitness whatsoever.

To be an F1 driver you need a top level of fitness (remember how well the F1 drivers did in Superstars TV Programme from 1973) At no point was there a darts player included in the lineup!
Not the point at all, are you telling me that all weightlifters have svelt bodies, most dart players don't drink anymore unlike in the sixties seventies when they would drink on stage before going to the oche. Superstars was a good advert for most of the drivers who weren't capable of doing much else, apart from that is from spending the majority of their days avoiding tax and adding to their millions. F1 is a game for rich boys to show they are little more than gamers in Grand Theft Auto.

ashman

Post by ashman »

bristleposh wrote: 06 Oct 2021, 08:54
ashman wrote: 06 Oct 2021, 08:41

Not the point at all, are you telling me that all weightlifters have svelt bodies, most dart players don't drink anymore unlike in the sixties seventies when they would drink on stage before going to the oche. Superstars was a good advert for most of the drivers who weren't capable of doing much else, apart from that is from spending the majority of their days avoiding tax and adding to their millions. F1 is a game for rich boys to show they are little more than gamers in Grand Theft Auto.
Absolute rubbish. We have had this argument time and time again and neither of us is ever going to concede, therefore the thread will be closed! How's your svelte looking body by the way? :wink: :D