News coverage

General discussion - chat about anything you want!

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

bristleposh

News coverage

Post by bristleposh »

A small rant about the news coverage of the EUROs final. Now I love football and I imagine everyone else who reads this forum does too. Yet, quite a lot of people don’t, several hours have been given to the final on the news from all the major channels, what about the rest of the news. A lot less time could be given to the football. Chris Eubank’s son died in Dubai, I only knew about it from Twitter. There was a stabbing on the underground not mentioned on TV , there was a terrorist outrage in Paris that I haven’t seen anything at all on TV, and of course we are still in the middle of a pandemic, where cases, despite the best efforts of scientists, are still rising. Max Griggs the Dr Martens founder has died, again not shown on TV. England won at Rugby as they did at cricket. Yet all we get is wall to wall coverage of a football game that hasn’t been played yet.
There are two types of people in this world:
1. Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data
ashman

Re: News coverage

Post by ashman »

I think that the general public has just about had enough of the dire news that we have endured this last eighteen months. Even before that, the number of times I would switch on the news only to be confronted with death, negativity, destruction etc. and it was all becoming a bit too much. After a while people tend to switch off when confronted with more and more horrible newscasts.
Thank heaven for a bit of positive news (even though it is only football) in amongst the rest of the awful world problems.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'
HantsPosh

Post by HantsPosh »

Not everyone thinks football is either news or positive news though, I couldn't care less that England lost. I didn't actively want them to lose of course but am not bothered either way. They always claim viewing figures of 20 million plus, but that just means that 40 million have no interest in it.

The media gave minimal coverage to the anti social behavior in Central London before and after the game in which several police officers were injured but give lengthy coverage to online abuse to players despite nobody being injured as a result. Both are obviously wrong but should be reported equally or are we saying that physical injury and pain is not as worthy of coverage of some words online. The sticks and stones rhyme my Grandmother used to say to me comes to mind.
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

HantsPosh wrote: 12 Jul 2021, 11:06 Not everyone thinks football is either news or positive news though, I couldn't care less that England lost. I didn't actively want them to lose of course but am not bothered either way. They always claim viewing figures of 20 million plus, but that just means that 40 million have no interest in it.

The media gave minimal coverage to the anti social behavior in Central London before and after the game in which several police officers were injured but give lengthy coverage to online abuse to players despite nobody being injured as a result. Both are obviously wrong but should be reported equally or are we saying that physical injury and pain is not as worthy of coverage of some words online. The sticks and stones rhyme my Grandmother used to say to me comes to mind.
We certainly agree on that. I don’t agree with the abuse, but it does seem too much given over to racial abuse and far less to the nutters kicking and injuring people and causing untold amount of damage.
ashman

Post by ashman »

LATEST INCOMING NEWS:

bristleposh and HantsPosh agree! :shock:
Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller »

HantsPosh wrote: 12 Jul 2021, 11:06 Not everyone thinks football is either news or positive news though, I couldn't care less that England lost. I didn't actively want them to lose of course but am not bothered either way. They always claim viewing figures of 20 million plus, but that just means that 40 million have no interest in it.

"some words online" - is that ALL you think it is, a few words online?

Have you read any of it? It's absolutely vile (unless you agree with it of course).

I'd say a bit of anti-social behaviour is about 1% of newsworthiness in comparison.

No wonder the country is in such a mess if people think anti-social behaviour is worse than the hideous abuse dished out since last night.
"We all should rise, above the clouds of ignorance, narrowness, and selfishness." -- Booker T. Washington
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

Gaz_Miller wrote: 12 Jul 2021, 13:32

"some words online" - is that ALL you think it is, a few words online?

Have you read any of it? It's absolutely vile (unless you agree with it of course).

I'd say a bit of anti-social behaviour is about 1% of newsworthiness in comparison.

No wonder the country is in such a mess if people think anti-social behaviour is worse than the hideous abuse dished out since last night.
I haven’t read any of it, but it was enough for the ‘oh so righteous’ to come out and make it all the fault of racists like Johnson and Patel. Strange that Johnson employs half a dozen ethnic minorities within his parliament. Don’t give me the argument about the post boxes, that won’t wash he was championing women’s rights and that is not racism it would’ve classed possibly as blasphemy, somewhat like the Charlie Hebdo cartoon. Yet again what was worse the cartoon or the absolute carnage dished out in response.
Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller »

Wow.

This thread tells me all I need to know about a couple of posters in here. I genuinely will not engage in any thread with either of them again.

There is NO room for racism, whether from our racist PM, our racist Home Secretary or anybody else online who supports their racist views. Thick ignorance will never prevail & neither should we let it.
"We all should rise, above the clouds of ignorance, narrowness, and selfishness." -- Booker T. Washington
ashman

Post by ashman »

.... and Gaz disagrees!
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

Gaz_Miller wrote: 12 Jul 2021, 14:00 Wow.

This thread tells me all I need to know about a couple of posters in here. I genuinely will not engage in any thread with either of them again.

There is NO room for racism, whether from our racist PM, our racist Home Secretary or anybody else online who supports their racist views. Thick ignorance will never prevail & neither should we let it.
We’ll just go and do one then, I’m sure Dotnet will welcome you back with open arms
HantsPosh

Post by HantsPosh »

Gaz_Miller wrote: 12 Jul 2021, 14:00 Wow.

Simple question, which would upset you more, a beloved family member being seriously injured (as happened to several police officers last night) or called a nasty name by a faceless anonymous person on a screen and which would you want the police to investigate and apprehend the offender?

But as always you’re are right and everyone else is wrong so I’m more than happy not to engage in any dialogue with you either. My life will not be the poorer for it.
Last edited by HantsPosh on 13 Jul 2021, 07:47, edited 1 time in total.
Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller »

Of all the websites & social media channels I've visited, this is the ONLY one that hasn't condemned the vile abuse of our players.

In fact, I'm the only poster on here who has shown their disdain towards it.

Hmmm. Maybe I've stumbled across something.
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

Gaz_Miller wrote: 12 Jul 2021, 22:28 Of all the websites & social media channels I've visited, this is the ONLY one that hasn't condemned the vile abuse of our players.

In fact, I'm the only poster on here who has shown their disdain towards it.

Hmmm. Maybe I've stumbled across something.
You have often accused me of not answering questions, yet here you are avoiding HantsPosh question, which would you prefer?