covid 19 (non political)

General discussion - chat about anything you want!

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

tonyp

covid 19 (non political)

Post by tonyp »

tonyp wrote: 27 May 2021, 00:56 According to an article in the New York Times
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/26/heal ... eb1e77895d
Immunity to the coronavirus lasts at least a year, possibly a lifetime, improving over time especially after vaccination, according to two new studies.
The findings may help put to rest lingering fears that protection against the virus will be short-lived.
I have a daughter who lives in the USA, a sister who lives in England and a wife, a daughter and a son who live in Australia.
I am interested in what is happening in the world regarding Covid19.
If I come across information which I think others might be interested in, I share it. But nobody seems interested.
It does seem that some members of this board are only interested in the politics of the problem.
ashman

Re: covid 19 (non political)

Post by ashman »

tonyp wrote: 27 May 2021, 09:28
tonyp wrote: 27 May 2021, 00:56 According to an article in the New York Times
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/26/heal ... eb1e77895d
Immunity to the coronavirus lasts at least a year, possibly a lifetime, improving over time especially after vaccination, according to two new studies.
The findings may help put to rest lingering fears that protection against the virus will be short-lived.
I have a daughter who lives in the USA, a sister who lives in England and a wife, a daughter and a son who live in Australia.
I am interested in what is happening in the world regarding Covid19.
If I come across information which I think others might be interested in, I share it. But nobody seems interested.
It does seem that some members of this board are only interested in the politics of the problem.
Exactly Tony. I don't understand however how they can say that the vaccines will last at least a year, possibly a lifetime! No politicising here my friend!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

There are some interesting statistics available eg deaths per million of the population the UK is currently 21st all the ones above us in the list are European. I imagine we will soon be overtaken by Brazil, USA, and India.
I don't judge people on race, religion, gender,
ability or size, I judge them on whether or not
they're a prat!
ashman

Post by ashman »

bristleposh wrote: 27 May 2021, 09:37 There are some interesting statistics available eg deaths per million of the population the UK is currently 21st all the ones above us in the list are European. I imagine we will soon be overtaken by Brazil, USA, and India.
You've left that to roll along the line bristle! I can see some (no one in particular) coming in with statistics that will drag it into a political bias! Those sort of posts will be moved or deleted!
White G

Post by White G »

Good thread, let's hope it lasts!
ashman

Post by ashman »

White G wrote: 27 May 2021, 13:35 Good thread, let's hope it lasts!
Here, here!
Slabby

Post by Slabby »

If we can, by some incredible miracle, keep politics out of this thread, I hereby declare that I shall swear undying love for Fergie.

(Please hurry up and start posting Brizzle) :wink:
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/18/worl ... -poll.html
A new poll in Japan finds 83 percent don’t want the Olympics this summer.
Opposition among the Japanese public to the Tokyo Olympics is reaching new heights with the Games just over two months away, as a soaring coronavirus caseload has led growing areas of the country to be placed under a state of emergency and the country’s vaccination campaign has got off to an agonisingly slow start.
Some Australian atheletes are already in Japan. Others have been vaccinated and will soon be going.
How are the GB preparations going? The last I heard they are more worried about the heat than the coronavirus.
ashman

Post by ashman »

tonyp wrote: 29 May 2021, 02:58 https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/18/worl ... -poll.html
A new poll in Japan finds 83 percent don’t want the Olympics this summer.
Opposition among the Japanese public to the Tokyo Olympics is reaching new heights with the Games just over two months away, as a soaring coronavirus caseload has led growing areas of the country to be placed under a state of emergency and the country’s vaccination campaign has got off to an agonisingly slow start.
Some Australian atheletes are already in Japan. Others have been vaccinated and will soon be going.
How are the GB preparations going? The last I heard they are more worried about the heat than the coronavirus.
'Team GB chef de mission Mark England insists he has "more confidence by the day" that the Tokyo Games will go ahead, despite the city being placed under state of emergency, extended until the end of May, due to rising Covid numbers.'

More here: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/olympics/0/ ... competing/
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

The three traffic light system of green for places we can fly to, amber where we are advised not travel to, and red where only cyclists are allowed to fly to.
they're a prat!
Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller »

So, are we going to lift all restrictions on June 21st or not?

Apparently, a decision will be made on Sunday evening after the G7
“Apology is not about saying I'm sorry, but it is about the meaning you put behind the apology and admitting that you are the wrong part.”
― Unarine Ramaru
ashman

Post by ashman »

Gaz_Miller wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 09:26 So, are we going to lift all restrictions on June 21st or not?

Apparently, a decision will be made on Sunday evening after the G7
It's what most people will be wanting. Whether it happens is another thing!
Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller »

ashman wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 09:57 It's what most people will be wanting. Whether it happens is another thing!
Persoanlly, I'd keep existing restrictions in place for another month until every over 18 has had at least the first jab. What's a few more weeks after 15 months of this crap?

And without making it political, I really, really hope they bring in some kind of covid passport scheme to at least make everyone who hasn't had a jab think again. It's not a punishment but more of a realisation that you'll never have anything near normal again without one. The whole world can't move on without vaccines
“Apology is not about saying I'm sorry, but it is about the meaning you put behind the apology and admitting that you are the wrong part.”
― Unarine Ramaru
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

Gaz_Miller wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 10:08
ashman wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 09:57 It's what most people will be wanting. Whether it happens is another thing!
Persoanlly, I'd keep existing restrictions in place for another month until every over 18 has had at least the first jab. What's a few more weeks after 15 months of this crap?

And without making it political, I really, really hope they bring in some kind of covid passport scheme to at least make everyone who hasn't had a jab think again. It's not a punishment but more of a realisation that you'll never have anything near normal again without one. The whole world can't move on without vaccines
Absolutely, and yet there are some people out there that still refuse the vaccine, they’re the ones who sill believe the world is flat and they’re frightened of falling off the edge.
they're a prat!
Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller »

bristleposh wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 10:46 Absolutely, and yet there are some people out there that still refuse the vaccine, they’re the ones who sill believe the world is flat and they’re frightened of falling off the edge.
I did read an interesting article from a reporter who visited Bolton & asked why people hadn't been vaccinated.

A hell of a lot of them simply couldn't get to a vaccination centre, i.e. no transport, single parents with nobody to leave children with etc.

Some put it down to religious regions or genuine fear of what was in the vaccine.

The remainder appeared to be poorly educated and didn't even udnerstand what COVID was. Unfortuantely, in society, there will always be a minority who fall into this bracket.

I don't think it's as simple as just saying 'they believe the world is flat'. However, those who think it's down to 5g phone masts really are beyond help.
― Unarine Ramaru