"The knee"

General discussion - chat about anything you want!

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

White G

"The knee"

Post by White G »

Well done to the rugby players who didn't take "the knee" yesterday. It's ridiculous that parts of the media are suggesting that they're racists. Reasons for not supporting this gesture for me are:

1. It's American
2. BLM are a movement who have overstepped the mark at times.
3. It's been done to death.
4. Just like these claps on your doorstep, wearing a poppy etc, nobody should be frowned upon for not complying.
5. It's become a meaningless gesture.
bristleposh

Re: "The knee"

Post by bristleposh »

White G wrote: 07 Feb 2021, 16:33 Well done to the rugby players who didn't take "the knee" yesterday. It's ridiculous that parts of the media are suggesting that they're racists. Reasons for not supporting this gesture for me are:

1. It's American
2. BLM are a movement who have overstepped the mark at times.
3. It's been done to death.
4. Just like these claps on your doorstep, wearing a poppy etc, nobody should be frowned upon for not complying.
5. It's become a meaningless gesture.
I’ve been dying to say that for several weeks, but I knew I’d be accused of being racist if I had. Half the problems possibly more than half, are the idiots that abuse black players on social media are being encouraged to do it by these insignificant gestures. With me when the players take a knee, I think why, I turn away from the screen in disgust, yes racism is vile but to keep on about it with these americanisms is simply wrong, well done for Posh yesterday not doing it.
I don't judge people on race, religion, gender,
ability or size, I judge them on whether or not
they're a prat!
BanburyPosh

Post by BanburyPosh »

I’ve got to say that I’m with Whitey and Bristle on this one. This is becoming farcical now and is not working as proved by the recent social media attacks on a couple of players. As already said, it’s having the opposite effect. It’s run it’s course now, we’ve all took notice and inwardly digested. And it’s time these sporting people, especially the pampered Premier League players, were given the choice of performing this gesture or not. It doesn’t mean that they are racist just because they are not kowtowing to the out-of-touch authorities. After all, we do supposedly live in a democracy. I didn’t see anything yesterday about the rugby players being branded as racists. If that’s the case, you have to ask yourself how many sherberts did those media persons consume as they can’t be right in the head, just stirring it up again.

:clap: :comeon: :clap:
ashman

Post by ashman »

It's a bit like the 'Thursday hand clapping for the NHS' - a great showing of how we all appreciate the NHS but which has now run its course. We get the message but now move on please!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'
Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller »

:roll:
“Apology is not about saying I'm sorry, but it is about the meaning you put behind the apology and admitting that you are the wrong part.”
― Unarine Ramaru
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

Oh dear the mighty Gaz has spoken, surprised he hasn’t blamed Brexit for people kneeling before a game.

The idea of taking the knee has come from a criminal organisation in America supporting an evil thug who had constantly broken the law.

A bandwagon jumped upon my countless sportsmen who’s backbone can’t seem to keep them upright. Three cheers for Posh not doing it on Saturday.
they're a prat!
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

I was thinking about this in bed this morning. If you consider there seems to be a lot more online trolling of black players since the taking of the knee began. During the England v Scotland rugby match on Saturday a couple of the England players didn’t take the knee, one was Billy Vunipola, who is black and refrains on religious grounds, and as I didn’t watch from the start as I was busy watching the Posh match, I’m not sure who the other was, but the majority of the Scottish team ignored the move.
I thought because of the connection between the American criminals and their politics it would be less controversial to do something different yet hopefully equally as respectful that when all the players come out of the tunnel they wear an over shirt with the words “Kick it Out” on the front and back.
Wobblers and Posh did it for Sir Tommy, and I have seen many other cases where teams have respected someone who has died by wearing shirts with that players number on. The subs could also wear them as could the officials, and the management staff. They can be removed just prior to kick off collected up and recycled week on week.
they're a prat!
HantsPosh

Post by HantsPosh »

Abusing a non black i.e. white sports person on Social Media is acceptable though apparently just not a black person.

Strange also how Sky Sports ram BLM down our throats at every opportunity despite having just TWO black presenters (Jessica Creighton & Mike Wedderburn) on their Sports News channel. Neither of whom have mentioned this fact during their screen time especially Mike Wedderburn who routinely finds any racist angle to stories but bizarrely failed to report the black referee in Bedfordshire who was banned for 42 days last December for calling a player a white b*stard.
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

Once again rugby showing how it should be done, not one of the thirty players took the knee and nor did the three officials.
they're a prat!
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

Taking a knee is a protest against institutional racism...I humbly suggest that a few on here read White Privilege to get educated...then again, maybe the "rugby" fraternity knows best (I always thought rugby in England was such a tiresome upper class sport and I suppose not taking a knee confirms my suspicions)....white people complaining about people complaining about racism...what a surprise...white trash comes to mind
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

bristleposh wrote: 08 Feb 2021, 10:33 Oh dear the mighty Gaz has spoken, surprised he hasn’t blamed Brexit for people kneeling before a game.

The idea of taking the knee has come from a criminal organisation in America supporting an evil thug who had constantly broken the law.

A bandwagon jumped upon my countless sportsmen who’s backbone can’t seem to keep them upright. Three cheers for Posh not doing it on Saturday.
Black Lives Matter is not a "criminal organization" - you may want it to be as do many old, white, out of touch losers......you need to put down the Daily mail and do a bit of self educating...so much white trash blowing hard in the wind nowadays
ashman

Post by ashman »

stumpy wrote: 01 Mar 2021, 01:27
bristleposh wrote: 08 Feb 2021, 10:33 Oh dear the mighty Gaz has spoken, surprised he hasn’t blamed Brexit for people kneeling before a game.

Black Lives Matter is not a "criminal organization" - you may want it to be as do many old, white, out of touch losers......you need to put down the Daily mail and do a bit of self educating...so much white trash blowing hard in the wind nowadays
Whatever the rights or wrongs of both sides of this debate, it seems that making a statement on most things start to lose their effectiveness after an extended time. Just like the support for the NHS (clapping on Thursday evenings) has waned, it seems that to continue doing the same thing every time just seems to lessen the effect of the message. Everyone knows that the NHS is fully appreciated now and so the clapping has stopped, not because people don't still appreciate them but because the message has become watered down. The same applies to 'taking the knee" we all know and sympathise with the message but it has now become an overworked gesture.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

If Black Lives Matter is not a criminal enterprise, then why pray tell do they encourage people to break the law. Colston's statue was one example. Any form of trying to rewrite history. As Ashman rightly says taking the knee is well past its sell-by date. Self-educating needs to be done by those who are too blind to see.
they're a prat!
Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller »

bristleposh wrote: 01 Mar 2021, 09:30Self-educating needs to be done by those who are too blind to see.
I've just spat tea all over my keyboard.

The irony meter has exploded.
“Apology is not about saying I'm sorry, but it is about the meaning you put behind the apology and admitting that you are the wrong part.”
― Unarine Ramaru
White G

Post by White G »

ashman wrote: 01 Mar 2021, 07:51

Whatever the rights or wrongs of both sides of this debate, it seems that making a statement on most things start to lose their effectiveness after an extended time. Just like the support for the NHS (clapping on Thursday evenings) has waned, it seems that to continue doing the same thing every time just seems to lessen the effect of the message. Everyone knows that the NHS is fully appreciated now and so the clapping has stopped, not because people don't still appreciate them but because the message has become watered down. The same applies to 'taking the knee" we all know and sympathise with the message but it has now become an overworked gesture.
Good post, I think you've covered everything there.