Food Banks

General discussion - chat about anything you want!

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

bristleposh

Food Banks

Post by bristleposh »

Gaz_Miller wrote: 30 Jan 2021, 10:53 Maybe you should focus your energies & come up with ONE benefit (apart from being happy that people have to use food banks in 2021).
The Trussell Trust started food banks in Salisbury in 2000 under the Labour government of Tony Blair, the problem with food banks is that some people have more children than they can afford to support. They have eight or ten children and then decide they can’t afford to work because they are better off on benefits, but despite being on benefits they still want the luxuries of life like cigarettes, alcohol, tv deals, telephone contracts, gambling on scratch cards breakfast at Greggs etc etc. Trying to blame Brexit or Coronavirus on parents stupidity is totally unfair, and also trying to blame it on the current government is again unfair.
I don't judge people on race, religion, gender,
ability or size, I judge them on whether or not
they're a prat!
White G

Re: Food Banks

Post by White G »

Some of what you say is valid Bristle, but some of your views are what the tabloids want you to believe.

Yes, there are scroungers out there of course, but the majority of people who use food banks are from working families, or pensioners who have worked their whole lives.

The Establishment want you to blame layabouts & immigrants but that's used as a smokescreen for the major causes. The main reasons are low wages, zero hours contracts, delays in Universal Credits & the private rental housing market which kills working families who can't get social housing.

You can't just rock up to a food bank and take what you want either. There's forms & procedures, whilst the choice of goods isn't quite the Ritz! The bulk of people who use food banks are proud and don't want to tell others.

Changes of circumstances can often mean that people who once could afford a family, now cannot. Now I don't see the problem in helping folk when they're down.

Scroungers & immigrants do cost us money but as a proportion of the Government's income, it's a miniscule amounts. Keep building up that hysteria like they want you to do though, as it distracts you from the real issues!
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

All I can judge by is the L Dub food bank, when I used to walk dogs across the front of. I’d see people texting on their phones having driven up in their fairly modern cars and have McLaren push chairs.
they're a prat!
White G

Post by White G »

bristleposh wrote: 30 Jan 2021, 21:34 All I can judge by is the L Dub food bank, when I used to walk dogs across the front of. I’d see people texting on their phones having driven up in their fairly modern cars and have McLaren push chairs.
To be fair, I wouldn't say that texting on your phone is evidence of financial mismanagement. Phones & contracts can be cheap these days and could be seen as essential, particularly if you don't have a computer, broadband or a landline.

I'd also see your point if it was a McLaren sportscar but McLaren buggies aren't shockingly expensive, and for all we know they could be 2nd hand.

Regardless, situations can change. For example my brother got laid off last week in the latest round of redundancies at a warehouse for a well known High Street shop. Once steady jobs have become more in danger for many industries, so some people may have cars and also need food.
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

White G wrote: 31 Jan 2021, 22:50
bristleposh wrote: 30 Jan 2021, 21:34 All I can judge by is the L Dub food bank, when I used to walk dogs across the front of. I’d see people texting on their phones having driven up in their fairly modern cars and have McLaren push chairs.
To be fair, I wouldn't say that texting on your phone is evidence of financial mismanagement. Phones & contracts can be cheap these days and could be seen as essential, particularly if you don't have a computer, broadband or a landline.

I'd also see your point if it was a McLaren sportscar but McLaren buggies aren't shockingly expensive, and for all we know they could be 2nd hand.

Regardless, situations can change. For example my brother got laid off last week in the latest round of redundancies at a warehouse for a well known High Street shop. Once steady jobs have become more in danger for many industries, so some people may have cars and also need food.
I don't doubt that one little bit, I just think that some (maybe a lot of) people rely heavily on it
they're a prat!