Engerland

Chat about any non-Posh related football matters here.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

bristleposh

Engerland

Post by bristleposh »

If I was Garreth S, this would be my first line up https://www.buildlineup.com/shared/60c1 ... 0b68281ee3

A twisted nerve, a ganglion gone awry,
Predestinates the sinner and the saint
White G

Re: Engerland

Post by White G »

:oops: If England can't beat a pub team at home, then they have absolutely no chance of doing anything!

They weren't even the dominant team, I fear for the future rounds if they can't even look superior to the Dog & Duck! 😃
ashman

Post by ashman »

White G wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 23:41 :oops: If England can't beat a pub team at home, then they have absolutely no chance of doing anything!

They weren't even the dominant team, I fear for the future rounds if they can't even look superior to the Dog & Duck! 😃
It was an awful game of football. England looked as if they were out to obtain a draw, almost from kickoff! Disgraceful display!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'
White G

Post by White G »

ashman wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 00:26
White G wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 23:41 :oops: If England can't beat a pub team at home, then they have absolutely no chance of doing anything!

It was an awful game of football.England looked as if they were out to obtain a draw, almost from kickoff! Disgraceful display!

We were poor but Scotland had players from Liverpool, Chelsea, Man United, Arsenal, Celtic, Aston Villa etc. Maybe the Dog & Duck made us play badly. The discrimination & disrespectful sometimes is atrocious, I'm half & half but delighted for the away team tonight. England will still qualify, we just need to up our game!
ashman

Post by ashman »

White G wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 00:53
ashman wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 00:26

It was an awful game of football.England looked as if they were out to obtain a draw, almost from kickoff! Disgraceful display!

We were poor but Scotland had players from Liverpool, Chelsea, Man United, Arsenal, Celtic, Aston Villa etc. Maybe the Dog & Duck made us play badly. The discrimination & disrespectful sometimes is atrocious, I'm half & half but delighted for the away team tonight. England will still qualify, we just need to up our game!
We certainly do. I know Posh have sometimes been accused of back/side movement but if Darren Ferguson (our own North of the Border manager) had been in charge of that team, he would have gone berserk at the sideways and backwards movement of the team. Even when they went forward it was at a pedestrian pace!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

Disappointed to say the least, we were truly awful, how can so many top professionals have an off day at the same time. I can understand why he went with the side he did, but he could so easily have brought in players like Bellingham, Grealish, and DCL without weakening the line up. He has got to get out of this defensive mode of playing two holding midfielders.I feared he’d bring back Maguire and Henderson, our best player on the night was probably Pickford which says a lot for the way we played.
My comments about the pub league is very much tongue in cheek, yet only one of Scotland’s starting line up was from a pub team, however only two of the unused substitutes came from the champions, is Clarke anti Rangers or is their side full of foreigners.

One of Scotland’s best players on the day was in the Chelsea side that got walloped by Posh a couple of years back in the Micky Mouse trophy.

Brianposh

Post by Brianposh »

Yep, a BIG DISAPPOINTMENT. An awful game of football that highly paid players did themselves no justice. No real effort, no ideas,no fight, no nothing. We move on to the next game.
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.
White G

Post by White G »

Brianposh wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 08:36 Yep, a BIG DISAPPOINTMENT. An awful game of football that highly paid players did themselves no justice. No real effort, no ideas,no fight, no nothing. We move on to the next game.
I think the truth is that England aren't as good as people think. Gilmour, McGregor, McGinn & McTominay are probably better footballers than Phillips & Rice, who didn't look nearly as comfortable in possession. Tierney & Robertson would walk into the England team as well.

There's no doubt that England have some brilliant players (particularly going forward) but there are a few average, technically limited players in there too. I don't think the English performance was terrible, we're just overrated and played against a team who are slightly underrated.

I can't see us being able to worry the decent teams who have superior technical ability, as well as the pace & strength to match us.
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

I hope your wrong, I just feel the manager picked the wrong players for the game, look I’m becoming Starmer talking in hindsight, I feel he should only have payed one holding midfield player (either Rice or Phillips) and played Bellingham, we should also have started with Grealish.

White G

Post by White G »

bristleposh wrote: 20 Jun 2021, 20:45 I hope your wrong, I just feel the manager picked the wrong players for the game, look I’m becoming Starmer talking in hindsight, I feel he should only have payed one holding midfield player (either Rice or Phillips) and played Bellingham, we should also have started with Grealish.
Perhaps you're right, but it could leave us exposed against the better teams. I can see us beating the Czechs but will be concerned when we face teams such as France & Belgium. Time will tell I guess!
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

Yes but the extra power and skill level would have been too much for Scotland who were superb.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

I've been calling for Grealish to start but apart from the odd free-kick he won and the single goal he created, I don't think he was as effective as Saka who I had never considered. I think on the night he was our best player. Well done Scotland on getting as far as you did, go back to fighting for independence.

White G

Post by White G »

bristleposh wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 22:39 I've been calling for Grealish to start but apart from the odd free-kick he won and the single goal he created, I don't think he was as effective as Saka who I had never considered. I think on the night he was our best player. Well done Scotland on getting as far as you did, go back to fighting for independence.
Scotland's midfield were outclassed by Modric & co who played superbly. Just not enough top players, perfectly highlighted by Stuart Armstrong coming in for Gilmour. His technical ability was significantly inferior, while the Croats didn't make a heavy touch all night. Scotland had to beat the Czechs and were unlucky, but no complaints against the Croats!!

This in itself is a worry for England, we need to improve in midfield to have any chance against the good teams. I'd say that's where we lack the quality & technical ability. I don't quite know our strongest midfield yet, let's hope Gareth finds the best formula soon.
White G

Post by White G »

Thoughts?? I thought England and Germany were both very poor but it's about the result. We're in the easy side of the draw and should get to the final. If we were to go all the way, would it rank alongside 1966?

We've not looked great but in 1966 we were lucky in the final. Football is a much more global game now so I'd say this would be just as big an achievement. Home advantage is clearly our best weapon but with VAR, we can't rely on any dodgy Russian linemen!
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

White G wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 13:29 Thoughts?? I thought England and Germany were both very poor but it's about the result. We're in the easy side of the draw and should get to the final. If we were to go all the way, would it rank alongside 1966?

We've not looked great but in 1966 we were lucky in the final. Football is a much more global game now so I'd say this would be just as big an achievement. Home advantage is clearly our best weapon but with VAR, we can't rely on any dodgy Russian linemen!
I notice the pronouns claiming Englishness, I thought by your normal posts in pro Krankie mode, I thought you were a died in the wool sweaty