Marcus Maddison

Chat about any non-Posh related football matters here.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

HantsPosh

Marcus Maddison

Post by HantsPosh »

Posted on his Instagram account yesterday

“Well the football industry has eventually broke me. All the abuse, pressures & monotony of the last 2 years has just got to me. I’ve tried to fit in & be happy but if I can’t be happy In a winning team fighting for promotion it’s clearly something deeper. I’m returning home to think do I want to play football any more as it just doesn’t bring me any joy at all. I can’t thank Ian Evatt enough for understanding & wish @officialbwfc all the best for the final run in”

Such a shame and a waste of a talent
Slabby

Re: Marcus Maddison

Post by Slabby »

Fergie having a chat with him today. I hope it helps Marcus.....I really do. 27yr old and the best attacking midfielder we've had, imo.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall during that conversation.
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

At some point, I imagine the option of re-signing him in the close season on a club-friendly deal will be raised by some. I don't know any of the 'back story', or whether or not he's burned all his boats here.

Whenever I see Dembele riding and/or making tackles, I make comparisons with Maddison, and remember when there seemed to be a perception in the game that black players were 'soft'.

On balance, if he could be signed at no cost, if he were disposed to compete professionally, if he didn't prove a distraction, I could see a role for him as, initially, a second-half 'impact' substitute.

That's a lot of 'ifs', though.
Slabby

Post by Slabby »

Absolutely. Never been a fan of having back "oldish" former players...CMS and George spring to mind. However Marcus is a whole different case.

Plenty of 'ifs' but if he can be managed, I'd relish seeing him come on at half time.
HantsPosh

Post by HantsPosh »

One of the most talented players we’ve ever had. I remember with fondness his performance at MK Dons last season and the reception he got when he got subbed and walked round in front of the fans. It was genuinely spine tingling and I was so chuffed for him that he could see how appreciated he was by the majority of fans. Eisa has never been anywhere the same player once Marcus left.

All this ******** about he didn’t work hard enough is nonsense, if you want people to work hard then pick 11 fans to play. If you want skill and talent pick Maddison and players like him. Bostwick and Anthony Grant do the graft, Maddison does the skill.
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

HantsPosh wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 17:49 One of the most talented players we’ve ever had. I remember with fondness his performance at MK Dons last season and the reception he got when he got subbed and walked round in front of the fans. It was genuinely spine tingling and I was so chuffed for him that he could see how appreciated he was by the majority of fans. Eisa has never been anywhere the same player once Marcus left.

All this ******** about he didn’t work hard enough is nonsense, if you want people to work hard then pick 11 fans to play. If you want skill and talent pick Maddison and players like him. Bostwick and Anthony Grant do the graft, Maddison does the skill.
Thing with Marcus was he was top dog, he wasn’t the captain, but he made all decisions regarding free kicks, corner kicks and penalties. Once we had Reed and Ward taking free kicks and Toney taking penalties he must have felt unwanted. Even more so now we have Burrows, Ward and Butler taking corners, Ward, Taylor, JCH, taking free kicks and JCH missing penalties 😜 he would find his opportunities sadly limited. We tried with Charlery, CMS, McLean, Boyd, Tomlin, Taylor and several I have forgotten, I’d prefer to have him back than Mark Little or Charlie Lee.
There are two types of people in this world:
1. Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data
Sheriff Fatman

Post by Sheriff Fatman »

There should be a place for Marcus next season. Darragh likes a bargain and he’s def that now, just whether he’s up for it.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

There is no place for Maddison at the Posh next season.
ashman

Post by ashman »

tonyp wrote: 09 May 2021, 08:18 There is no place for Maddison at the Posh next season.
Spot on Tony.
As Marcus himself says,

"....do I want to play football any more as it just doesn’t bring me any joy at all. I can’t thank Ian Evatt enough for understanding & wish @officialbwfc all the best for the final run in”

No mention of anyone at Posh, where he experienced the best times in his football career. No thanks; I don't think that DMac would even entertain the thought of his return. He has welcomed players back before, but none with which he had an out and out total disagreement.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'
blueboro

Post by blueboro »

No place for MM or his ego
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

Another thing with Maddison was that he opened the door for a couple of rather good players to leave like Edwards and Taylor
Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller »

So he’s signed for Spalding United.

What an absolute waste
"We all should rise, above the clouds of ignorance, narrowness, and selfishness." -- Booker T. Washington
Slabby

Post by Slabby »

Yep. He's a confused young man and clearly hasn't yet sorted out his aim in life. So sad. Find happiness Marcus (and look after him Gaby).
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

FT - @SpaldingUnited 6 - 1 @BourneTownFC

Macleod x 2
Maddison
Mezine
J Brownhill
Assombalonga

Thanks to @BourneTownFC for travelling to us and we wish them all the best for their season ahead
Scott Welland

Post by Scott Welland »

I've heard that Posh are keeping an eye on Maddison at Spalding and that he has done some pre season training with us.

If we want to Posh can sign him outside of the transfer window from the league Spalding play in. It's up to Maddison to really work hard and prove that he is right in the head to play in the championship with Jack Marriott like he did in League One