R.I.P. George Hudson

Chat about any non-Posh related football matters here.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

bristleposh

R.I.P. George Hudson

Post by bristleposh »

My favourite striker has joined the strike force in heaven

Centre-forward, George Anthony Hudson was born in Manchester, on 14th March 1937.
He began his professional career at Blackburn Rovers in 1958, before moving on to Accrington Stanley in 1960. During his second season at Accrington, the club folded mid-season and Posh signed George, for £6,000. He scored 23 goals in his first season at London Road. The following season he was Posh`s top goalscorer with 26, despite being sold to Coventry City, with ten games of the season remaining. He scored a total of 49 goals in his 75 appearances for Posh.
He scored a hat-trick on his debut for Coventry, where he became one of their all-time highest goalscorers. He then played for Northampton Town and Tranmere Rovers, before finishing his career with non-league Altrincham.
After retiring from football, he returned to his native Manchester to work.
George died, at the age of 83, on 28th December 2020.

I don't judge people on race, religion, gender,
ability or size, I judge them on whether or not
they're a prat!
bristleposh

Re: R.I.P. George Hudson

Post by bristleposh »

bristleposh wrote: 31 Dec 2020, 20:20 My favourite striker has joined the strike force in heaven

Centre-forward, George Anthony Hudson was born in Manchester, on 14th March 1937.
He began his professional career at Blackburn Rovers in 1958, before moving on to Accrington Stanley in 1960. During his second season at Accrington, the club folded mid-season and Posh signed George, for £6,000. He scored 23 goals in his first season at London Road. The following season he was Posh`s top goalscorer with 26, despite being sold to Coventry City, with ten games of the season remaining. He scored a total of 49 goals in his 75 appearances for Posh.
He scored a hat-trick on his debut for Coventry, where he became one of their all-time highest goalscorers. He then played for Northampton Town and Tranmere Rovers, before finishing his career with non-league Altrincham.
After retiring from football, he returned to his native Manchester to work.
George died, at the age of 83, on 28th December 2020.

they're a prat!
Brianposh

Post by Brianposh »

A wonderful player and the best header of a ball I have ever seen. Scored many goals, bought from Accrington after scoring a hat-trick against us in a League game.
R.I.P. George.
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.
ashman

Post by ashman »

Brianposh wrote: 31 Dec 2020, 21:12 A wonderful player and the best header of a ball I have ever seen. Scored many goals, bought from Accrington after scoring a hat-trick against us in a League game.
R.I.P. George.
That's exactly what I remember about him too - even if he occasionally used a little bit of a fist to accentuate the finish! :wink:

RIP George.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Even I remember George Hudson.
RIP George.
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

My memory not being the best but I seem to recall one header, I think it was against Lincoln where he beat the keeper from outside the area with his head
they're a prat!
Brianposh

Post by Brianposh »

bristleposh wrote: 01 Jan 2021, 15:12 My memory not being the best but I seem to recall one header, I think it was against Lincoln where he beat the keeper from outside the area with his head
You are spot on Nick, he did indeed, into London Road End from memory. Good memories. :)
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.