Joe Ward

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

OBM

Joe Ward

Post by OBM »

According to Player Profiles on theposh.com our Joe is a defender, presumably right back. I know he has filled in here many times but I have always seen him as more of a winger, despite a dubious crossing ability. If he is not going to play right back where are Joe and similarly Burrows going to fit into this 4 3 3 system, can you see them being 1st eleven or substitutes in the main?
bristleposh

Re: Joe Ward

Post by bristleposh »

I think both Burrows and Jones will be used as impact bench warmers, Ward too,
We were much improved under McCann
HantsPosh

Post by HantsPosh »

1st X1 every time for me, on the wings putting crosses into to the box for JC-H, Sammie, JM.

the club website lists Joe as a defender under the player profiles
Steamy Nin

Post by Steamy Nin »

I expect that todays starting 11 will be the first choice 11 at Cheltenham, not sure where Joe Ward was today though.
OBM

Post by OBM »

One of the match previews said he had a slight knock, would he have played otherwise? and where?
Steamy Nin

Post by Steamy Nin »

OBM wrote: 23 Jul 2022, 21:19 One of the match previews said he had a slight knock, would he have played otherwise? and where?
Ok, didn't read that.
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

I can't see Joe starting even if fit, Kwame must start along with Thompson on the right-hand side
OBM

Post by OBM »

bristleposh wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 09:36 I can't see Joe starting even if fit, Kwame must start along with Thompson on the right-hand side
Agree, I would rather Tomlinson than Burrows at left back, just sticking wingers at full back is a cop out, and a good side will punish it
Steamy Nin

Post by Steamy Nin »

I thing I noticed from yesterday's starting 11, is that there were no new outfield signings on from the start. Quite rare for a friendly where the manager has the opportunity to assess new signings.
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

Steamy Nin wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 10:05 I thing I noticed from yesterday's starting 11, is that there were no new outfield signings on from the start. Quite rare for a friendly where the manager has the opportunity to assess new signings.
I think apart from the keepers we only signed three, two came on when changes were made, and the other Kyprianou was apparently injured
ashman

Post by ashman »

bristleposh wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 22:29
Steamy Nin wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 10:05 I thing I noticed from yesterday's starting 11, is that there were no new outfield signings on from the start. Quite rare for a friendly where the manager has the opportunity to assess new signings.
I think apart from the keepers we only signed three, two came on when changes were made, and the other Kyprianou was apparently injured
.... is correct. Harvey Cartwright, Dan Butler, Emmanuel Fernandez and Oliver Norburn are out injured. Other than that all the squad got a run out, either against Hull or against Scunthorpe.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'
OBM

Post by OBM »

ashman wrote: 25 Jul 2022, 05:49
.... is correct. Harvey Cartwright, Dan Butler, Emmanuel Fernandez and Oliver Norburn are out injured. Other than that all the squad got a run out, either against Hull or against Scunthorpe.
TEAM NEWS https://www.theposh.com/news/match-prev ... friendlies

McCann has confirmed that Joe Ward, Benjamin Mensah, Harvey Cartwright and Hector Kyprianou won’t be risked on Saturday due to slight knocks. Kyprianou limped out of the defeat to Luton with an ankle injury, but the club have received good news from the scan.
Steamy Nin

Post by Steamy Nin »

OBM wrote: 25 Jul 2022, 07:12

McCann has confirmed that Joe Ward, Benjamin Mensah, Harvey Cartwright and Hector Kyprianou won’t be risked on Saturday due to slight knocks. Kyprianou limped out of the defeat to Luton with an ankle injury, but the club have received good news from the scan.
I will say though that Poku and Randall seem like new signings. They didn't get much game time last season, for one reason or another, but both have been very good in pre-season and I am very optimistic for the new season.
ashman

Post by ashman »

Steamy Nin wrote: 25 Jul 2022, 14:16
OBM wrote: 25 Jul 2022, 07:12

I will say though that Poku and Randall seem like new signings. They didn't get much game time last season, for one reason or another, but both have been very good in pre-season and I am very optimistic for the new season.
I agree with that completely and hope all the new ones can bring much needed support to an already good squad.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'
HantsPosh

Post by HantsPosh »

bristleposh wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 09:36 I can't see Joe starting even if fit, Kwame must start along with Thompson on the right-hand side
Don’t disagree with Poku starting but not Thompson, of all the new signings he would be the one I’m least excited about to be honest but hope to be proved wrong of course. Haven’t seen him play as I’ve no interest in watching PSFs and can’t believe people actually pay to watch them.

Personally I would prefer to start the season with the League Cup as no-one cares about it and it can be used as pre-season if ties were played over two legs guaranteeing two ‘competitive’ games.