Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

ashman

POSH v READING Wednesday 16th. February K.O. 7.45pm

Post by ashman »

Peterborough United v Reading (19:45)

REFEREE: MATTHEW DONOHUE

ASSISTANT REFEREES: George Byrne and Ian Cooper

Fourth Official: Stephen Martin

Probably one of the most important games for the club in recent history! :comeon:
'Everybody needs to have a friend'
bristleposh

Re: POSH v READING Wednesday 16th. February K.O. 7.45pm

Post by bristleposh »

Since Palace
We were much improved under McCann
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

All we have to do is win.
HantsPosh

Post by HantsPosh »

bristleposh wrote: 13 Feb 2022, 23:17 Since Palace
Since Cardiff as they were catchable if we'd won but are now too far ahead. The Derby game on Saturday will be the biggest game since Reading regardless of the result tonight
matt404

Post by matt404 »

That was really frustrating. They were there to be beaten and we couldn't manage it. We were the least bad team.

Benda looked comfortable in goal and make a couple of decent saves - one from a free kick and a smart reaction save, other than that didn't have much to do. The defence which has been so leaky was largely untroubled. Kent, Knight and Thompson both looked good. Coulson was exceptional going up and down the left flank and was the source of so much good play.

Brown, Ward & Poku were the pick of the midfield for me. We lost rhythm when Brown left. Maybe he was good enough for the Championship after all - how much of a difference would he have made in the previous 25+ games? Poku looked a talent in the first half but should have come off earlier in my opinion as he looked spent and out of ideas. I couldn't fathom why Fuchs was pushed forward in the first half - he looked lost and his passing was poor. He is very tenacious and disrupted their midfield in the second half when he played where he should have. I didn't see that as a MOTM performance. Similarly, I don't understand all the praise I've seen for Norburn - yes, he ran around a lot but I can't recall many times where he did anything with the ball.

Couple of efforts of note from JCH but he was too isolated for us to take advantage of when he won headers and flicks. RJJ doesn't look ready to make an impact at this level yet, he's all legs and no upper body. Surprised that Szmodics wasn't brought on instead. Marriott made some clever runs and could have been in were it not for a smart save from Hein. Morton didn't make much of an impact on the game.

I can understand Reading fans frustration at their team - to think they've got several ex-Premier League players and a Premier League winner in Drinkwater. To find themselves in that position is mind boggling. They were awful. They wouldn't stand out in League One.

What's most damning is that despite how inept they were, we couldn't win the match and probably sums us up.

To end on a positive, my eldest got a ticket through the schools initiative. Despite her not being a football fan and having witnessed that as a spectacle, she was still keen to go again so well done Posh!
Christopher Kannnnnnuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

I thought we have been playing a lot better with this defensive setup with the 4-3-3 or 4-5-1. JCH who has been about as much use as a chocolate teapot all season, did a lot better, just a shame he didn't have a runner closer to him because he was alone for most of the game a lot of his good work came to naught. I didn't hear who got man of the match, I would have thought Sky should have given it to the Reading goalkeeper, who was outstanding, and as for our player of the game I think it was difficult to choose, but our keeper certainly saved us on a couple of occasions and would get my vote along with Thompson and Coulson the full-backs both had good performances, such a shame their keeper was in startling form.
We were much improved under McCann