There has to be a reason

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

bristleposh

There has to be a reason

Post by bristleposh »

Having watched last night's performance and taken a lot of positives and a few negatives from it. Firstly some great individual performances from Poku, Mumba, and Morton, some vastly improved performances from JCH, Taylor, and Marriott. Some steady performances from Burrows, Thompson, Beevers, Kent, Norburn, and Benda. Some still to come back like Edwards, Dembele, Grant, Randall, Tomlinson, and possibly Ward, Kanu, and Jones. So what is going wrong?

At WestBrom we were completely out of sorts, never got into the game and in the end, our usual capitulation meant another away defeat. At Birmingham, excellent performance was ruined by some bizarre managerial decisions. How with ten minutes to go and two players completely out on their feet, one barely able to walk let alone run, were changes not made? When they were made why did they change to a different system, when there were players on the bench who could have kept the balance of the side, as it was. Admittedly JCH, there was no direct replacement but he could have brought on either Tomlinson or Knight and sent Beevers up to replace JCH, He could have kept the shape the same by sticking Grant into the Poku role, which he has done successfully a number of times.

There were three club legends on the sidelines along with the Estate Agents pet, and none of them could see the problems, what are they being paid for, are our three owners not watching and thinking why the hell was that done or that not done.

I can see us escaping the drop by default we are certainly good enough but without thought, despite our potential, we could blow it. Wake up Fergie, smell the coffee, get players off who are injured, (remember you even sent Butler back on, which has probably ended his season, when an early departure may have got him back sooner), or knackered (JCH and Poku before we conceded). Get Dembele off the books before he becomes another Maddison, both were great for us and could have made good money if we handed stood in their way. Don't try and defend a two-goal lead against other relegation rivals (Cardiff and now Birmingham). Our best form of defence is attack.

Saturday v Sheffield United good luck I shall be supporting from my computer desk. If we get two-nil up keep attacking and don't try and sit on the lead.
We were much improved under McCann
JohnC

There has to be a reason

Post by JohnC »

“But is Mark Robins a better manager than Darren Ferguson? I don’t think so, but he’s getting a better tune out of his players.”

Yes, Robbins is a better manager than Darren Ferguson, since you asked.
His team (featuring the tuneful Matt Godden) finished 16th in the Championship last season, and it’s currently 9th, 20 points ahead of Posh.

“Are our players worse than Blackpool’s? I don’t think so, but ours are just playing well below their own standards. We must all do better, the manager, the players and the ownership.”

Yes, since you asked; our players are worse than Blackpool’s. if they’re not, then our manager must be worse than Blackpool’s. Blackpool are sixteen points ahead of us.

MacAnthony said: “A change of manager is not happening. If Darren goes I go. I am standing by that.”

Our club must be almost unique in professional football if its manager is not to be held accountable for the performance of his team.
Presumably, therefore, if the manager chose to resign, or to accept a more lucrative post elsewhere, the chairman would also depart.
ashman

Re: There has to be a reason

Post by ashman »

JohnC wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 23:18 “But is Mark Robins a better manager than Darren Ferguson? I don’t think so, but he’s getting a better tune out of his players.”

Yes, Robbins is a better manager than Darren Ferguson, since you asked.
His team (featuring the tuneful Matt Godden) finished 16th in the Championship last season, and it’s currently 9th, 20 points ahead of Posh.

“Are our players worse than Blackpool’s? I don’t think so, but ours are just playing well below their own standards. We must all do better, the manager, the players and the ownership.”

Yes, since you asked; our players are worse than Blackpool’s. if they’re not, then our manager must be worse than Blackpool’s. Blackpool are sixteen points ahead of us.

MacAnthony said: “A change of manager is not happening. If Darren goes I go. I am standing by that.”

Our club must be almost unique in professional football if its manager is not to be held accountable for the performance of his team.
Presumably, therefore, if the manager chose to resign, or to accept a more lucrative post elsewhere, the chairman would also depart.
He probably would, but that ain't happening. Leave it and get down and support the club in it's tough times.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'