Conor Coventry recalled

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

bristleposh

Conor Coventry recalled

Post by bristleposh »

https://www.the42.ie/west-ham-recall-co ... 4-Jan2022/

Frustratingly didn’t work out for him, didn’t really suit our needs.
A warning to JCH whatever you do,
don't tweet about our new keeper
you'll be banned from football for life.
Steamy Nin

Re: Conor Coventry recalled

Post by Steamy Nin »

I think he was mainly anonymous. In the games I saw him play, I forgot he was on the pitch. If we are going to get a PL player on loan, we want someone of the calibre of Harvey Elliott (Blackburn last season) or Harry Wilson (Cardiff Last Season), it's no use getting a loan player to keep the bench warm.
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

Absolutely
ashman

Post by ashman »

Steamy Nin wrote: 05 Jan 2022, 14:57 I think he was mainly anonymous. In the games I saw him play, I forgot he was on the pitch. If we are going to get a PL player on loan, we want someone of the calibre of Harvey Elliott (Blackburn last season) or Harry Wilson (Cardiff Last Season), it's no use getting a loan player to keep the bench warm.
Being on the bench is not his fault. FWIW I thought he deserved more playing time than he got. He captains the Irish team so he must have impressed others too! :comeon:
'Everybody needs to have a friend'
pleasureboy60

Post by pleasureboy60 »

Steamy Nin wrote: 05 Jan 2022, 14:57 I think he was mainly anonymous. In the games I saw him play, I forgot he was on the pitch. If we are going to get a PL player on loan, we want someone of the calibre of Harvey Elliott (Blackburn last season) or Harry Wilson (Cardiff Last Season), it's no use getting a loan player to keep the bench warm.
There have been times this season when Taylor has been anonymous and uninspiring in midfield, but he still gets picked for the next game.
Funny how some of our players are in favour compared to others!
Brianposh

Post by Brianposh »

Was disappointed in him where seen to play. Not given much playing time.
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.
ashman

Post by ashman »

pleasureboy60 wrote: 05 Jan 2022, 21:51
There have been times this season when Taylor has been anonymous and uninspiring in midfield, but he still gets picked for the next game.
I agree with that. I would have rested Taylor in favour of Coventry a couple of times!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'
Steamy Nin

Post by Steamy Nin »

But Taylor has also proved his worth, mainly last season but this season as well (Hull away best example). Connor Coventry hasn't proved anything and I am guessing he didn't shine in training either. That said he will probably star alongside Declan Rice and get WHU into the Champions League, to show how much I know :D
pleasureboy60

Post by pleasureboy60 »

Steamy Nin wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 11:36
But Taylor has also proved his worth, mainly last season but this season as well (Hull away best example). Connor Coventry hasn't proved anything and I am guessing he didn't shine in training either. That said he will probably star alongside Declan Rice and get WHU into the Champions League, to show how much I know :D
Or maybe it's because like many before him, Taylor needs to be in the shop window to attract potential buyers, unlike Coventry who wasn't our asset!
How many times over the McAnthony regime have we seen young players being picked week in , week out, regardless of their form, to attract potential buyers.
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

pleasureboy60 wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 19:32
Or maybe it's because like many before him, Taylor needs to be in the shop window to attract potential buyers, unlike Coventry who wasn't our asset!
How many times over the McAnthony regime have we seen young players being picked week in , week out, regardless of their form, to attract potential buyers.
…and to be fair a lot of the ones that were slagged off by so called fans went on to have careers at clubs far higher than Posh, Leo in the top division in Belgium, Joe Newell in a top half club in the pub league. I’m sure there are other examples, the only failure I can think of was YaYa but he got badly injured which more or less brought his career to an end.
pleasureboy60

Post by pleasureboy60 »

pleasureboy60 wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 19:32
Steamy Nin wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 11:36
I think yesterday's fac game highlights what I said earlier about players getting game time on a week to week basis, despite inconstant performances.
I thought Taylor was awful in midfield yesterday. No endeavour, uninspiring, didn't look interested. I get the impression that he feels he's invincible and just has to turn up to get a game, when others before him hardly got an opportunity.
I'm sure Coventry could have done a better job than Taylor yesterday, but alas we will never now know.
If I was Broom I would jump at the opportunity of playing in Scotland, cause he ain't going to get the chance to play here whilst the likes of Taylor gets picked purely on his price tag