Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

JohnC

Half-Term Report

Post by JohnC »

The quarterly splits:

First P11 W2 D2 L7 F12 A23 Pts8 PPG 0.73
Second P12 W3 D2 L7 F8 A21 Pts11 PPG 0.91
Half P23 W 5 D4 L14 F20 A44 Pts19 PPG 0.82

Our current dilemma is entirely predictable: we started off in relegation form, and have maintained that. Only Barnsley have a worse playing record than ours. A continuation of this form will leave us with thirty-eight points. The manager speaks of the need for consistency, but like most managers, he uses ‘consistency’ to mean ‘consistent competence/success’. Eleven defeats from twelve away games is a model of consistency. Without Hull’s missed penalty, we’re probably cornering the market in consistency.

It’s (still) the defence, Stupid.
While the manager continues to lament our impotence in front of goal, we’ve conceded virtually two goals a game, and are on course to ship 88 goals. In this century, the average highest number of goals conceded in a Championship season is 83.

A Clandestine Glance at the Opposition’s Play-Book
‘In attack, just drop it in among ‘em; they’ll do the rest for us.’
‘In defence, let ‘em play with themselves around their own penalty area while we regroup in defence. Foul Dembele near the half-way line. Stay patient until they pass their way into a mistake. Try not to laugh when they win a corner.’

Passing and Failing
Defenders passing to each other in and around our own goal area usually allows the opposition time to organise its own defence. Ball-retention has much to recommend it – usually when playing with a lead; We’ve played 34.5 hours this season, and held the lead for just over 3.5 hours.
We make it easy for opposition defenders by playing in front of them. Against Barnsley, I started counting the number of back-passes to Cornell, but stopped after about half an hour with the tally at thirteen -- at home to the only team in the division with a worse scoring record than our own. We may play more passes into our own penalty area than into the opposition’s. We seem to put a greater premium on a completed pass than on an accurate shot on goal. Why bother to score a goal? It only gives the opposition possession from the kick-off.

Coaching
Mark Robson left the club on November 12. Since then, we’ve played six, won one, lost four, drawn one, scored three goals and conceded twelve.

What a job Andy Butler, our set-piece coach, must be doing….
In attack, eighty-five corners, one goal scored. One goal from a free kick.
In defence, eleven goals conceded from set pieces.

Man-management
There’s the Pym situation. Then there’s the ‘Buttercup’ Ward jibe. Then there’s the fulsome celebration of the Norburn signing, regardless of the message that might send to anyone competing with Norburn for a start. Then there’s the starting of Norburn at Blackburn, when he was demonstrably sick. Which brings us to what Conor Coventry might have inferred from that decision…. Against Millwall, with Butler clearly in great pain and Tomlinson stripped and ready to come on, Butler was sent back out onto the pitch – presumably to try to ‘run it off’. His hobbling presence when trying to defend a corner could easily have cost us a goal. Who knows what additional damage to his ankle those few minutes might have caused? What input does our physio/medical staff have on these decisions?

Silence is Golden

“I would say 99% of what is happening at the club is positive,” MacAnthony said on the December 8) ‘Hard Truth’ podcast. “The under 18s are going well, the under 23s are doing well, there’s a dome going up to further improve the training ground and we’ve just launched our own Posh + service to replace iFollow.
It’s just the most important 1% we haven’t got right yet….”’

So the performance of the first team is statistically insignificant in the Great Scheme of Things? Relegation won’t matter as long as we have a training ground dome (heated by self-generated hot air, presumably) to admire.

A Simple Challenge/Comparison
Last season, Wycombe reached the half-way point with this record:
P23 W3 D6 L14 Pts15
Their second half performance:
P23 W8 D4 L11 Pts28
Their final total of 43 points left them two points (or one timely goal) from safety.
We have 19 points. Matching Wycombe’s second half record would put us on 47 points, and probable safety.
This season, Wycombe sit fourth in League One.
pleasureboy60

Re: Half-Term Report

Post by pleasureboy60 »

Excellent post and one which highlights our current predicament totally.
Just recently our possession ratio against teams we have played has been far superior, but unfortunately as you well documented in your post, this possession has been mainly in our own half of the field with constant sideways and backwards passes between defenders and goalkeeper.
HantsPosh

Post by HantsPosh »

Surely the defence shouldn’t be a problem as it was all Beevers & Kent’s fault and now ‘New Stadium’ Edwards is playing we should never concede a goal again and with ‘Jonno’ upfront the goals will flow against terrified defences.

Pym banished for rowing with Fergie yet Teflon JC-H returns from the summer overweight and unfit but gets picked regardless. The hyperbole from DMaC around players such as Poku and Randall is embarrassing at times. If they really are world beaters in the making then surely they wouldn’t be at Posh, they’d have been signed by clubs much higher up the food chain.
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

I can tell your not a happy bunny, we are Posh, we play in a certain manner and have done for most of the past twenty years. As you say teams have worked out what they are, picking out individuals for criticism is not helpful. Especially when Edwards and Norburn are currently our best two players. It is the system and the manager's diktat, or more to the point the owner's diktat. The amount of money that he has invested in the club he is entitled to have his opinion. If he enjoys watching pretty football ending in defeat, every week, that ultimately will cost him money then perhaps you should be directing your criticism at him. Cut off the head of the snake and we may end up like Bury, Gateshead, Scarborough, and Rushden. Which was where we headed before his intervention.
This season witnessed four games
P4 W0 D0 L4 GF2 GA14
ashman

Post by ashman »

bristleposh wrote: 19 Dec 2021, 09:35 I can tell your not a happy bunny, we are Posh, we play in a certain manner and have done for most of the past twenty years. As you say teams have worked out what they are, picking out individuals for criticism is not helpful. Especially when Edwards and Norburn are currently our best two players. It is the system and the manager's diktat, or more to the point the owner's diktat. The amount of money that he has invested in the club he is entitled to have his opinion. If he enjoys watching pretty football ending in defeat, every week, that ultimately will cost him money then perhaps you should be directing your criticism at him. Cut off the head of the snake and we may end up like Bury, Gateshead, Scarborough, and Rushden. Which was where we headed before his intervention.
Exactly. Where have all the genuine fans gone? Now is the time the encourage and get behind the club instead of simply 'having a go' at them at the earliest opportunity. :shock:
'Everybody needs to have a friend'
pleasureboy60

Post by pleasureboy60 »

It was quite evident from our Chairman's latest Podcast that the main priority of this club now and for the unforseeable future is to concentrate on the production line of finding and producing young players for profit
I honestly think that the chairman wouldn't be unduly worried if the club where relgated this season or if the council refuse planning permission for a new ground.
As long as the money keeps rolling in from the sale of our youngsters to line his pockets, then he would be more than happy
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

bristleposh wrote: 19 Dec 2021, 09:35 I can tell your not a happy bunny, we are Posh, we play in a certain manner and have done for most of the past twenty years. As you say teams have worked out what they are, picking out individuals for criticism is not helpful. Especially when Edwards and Norburn are currently our best two players. It is the system and the manager's diktat, or more to the point the owner's diktat. The amount of money that he has invested in the club he is entitled to have his opinion. If he enjoys watching pretty football ending in defeat, every week, that ultimately will cost him money then perhaps you should be directing your criticism at him. Cut off the head of the snake and we may end up like Bury, Gateshead, Scarborough, and Rushden. Which was where we headed before his intervention.
Dembele doesn't make it into our top two players rankings?

Luton spent several years out of the Football League (2009-14?). Both Coventry and Blackpool have endured horrendous off-pitch difficulties in recent years. They have all survived adversity and seem to be coping well with life in the Championship.
ashman

Post by ashman »

JohnC wrote: 19 Dec 2021, 17:18 Luton spent several years out of the Football League (2009-14?). Both Coventry and Blackpool have endured horrendous off-pitch difficulties in recent years. They have all survived adversity and seem to be coping well with life in the Championship.
.... and your point is? :?
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

ashman wrote: 19 Dec 2021, 17:29
JohnC wrote: 19 Dec 2021, 17:18 Luton spent several years out of the Football League (2009-14?). Both Coventry and Blackpool have endured horrendous off-pitch difficulties in recent years. They have all survived adversity and seem to be coping well with life in the Championship.
.... and your point is? :?
I had thought my point was obvious, given my highlighting of Cut off the head of the snake and we may end up like Bury, Gateshead, Scarborough, and Rushden.
If our 'snake head' is cut off, then plunging out of the EFL is not necessarily a likely consequence, and given what Luton, Coventry and Blackpool seem to have done, it would be eminently possible to not just survive but prosper at Championship level.
ashman

Post by ashman »

JohnC wrote: 19 Dec 2021, 17:40 If our 'snake head' is cut off, then plunging out of the EFL is not necessarily a likely consequence, and given what Luton, Coventry and Blackpool seem to have done, it would be eminently possible to not just survive but prosper at Championship level.
It's all about opinions and if you talk to maybe 90% of Posh supporters, getting rid of Darragh or Darren is a non starter!
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

ashman wrote: 19 Dec 2021, 17:50
JohnC wrote: 19 Dec 2021, 17:40 If our 'snake head' is cut off, then plunging out of the EFL is not necessarily a likely consequence, and given what Luton, Coventry and Blackpool seem to have done, it would be eminently possible to not just survive but prosper at Championship level.
It's all about opinions and if you talk to maybe 90% of Posh supporters, getting rid of Darragh or Darren is a non starter!
I wouldn't claim to speak for 90% of Posh supporters, and I was not/am not advocating 'getting rid' of Darragh. (How that might be effected I'm not quite sure.) I'm not of the view that our manager -- any manager -- is irreplaceable. It didn't take long for Leicester City to get rid of Claudio Ranieri during the season following their EPL title, and they've fared quite well since then.
ashman

Post by ashman »

JohnC wrote: 19 Dec 2021, 18:02
ashman wrote: 19 Dec 2021, 17:50
I wouldn't claim to speak for 90% of Posh supporters, and I was not/am not advocating 'getting rid' of Darragh. (How that might be effected I'm not quite sure.) I'm not of the view that our manager -- any manager -- is irreplaceable. It didn't take long for Leicester City to get rid of Claudio Ranieri during the season following their EPL title, and they've fared quite well since then.
We are not Leicester City with the millions behind them!
Mig25

Post by Mig25 »

This is a football forum, not a therapy forum for berieved nuns.

The comment earlier by the moderator of "Where have all the genuine fans gone?" is frankly insulting to those of us who travel home and away to support the team. Where is it stated that you can only post on here if you think everything is fine? If you criticise DF for his tactics or inability to motivate the players, are you therefore not a genuine fan?

A while back, the moderator suggested that if some players read this forum, they may get upset by comments made by posters on here. What????

I shall be at the Reading game and if I see players not pulling their weight, I shall let rip from my seat. It happens at every other ground so why should LR be any different? If I consider that DF has made a formation howler or needs to change it fast, I shall shout it out too. If the moderator feels that this makes me a non-genuine fan because I don't go along with his "Fergie is untouchable" stance, then all I can do is apologize......not.

This is a football forum and if criticism of players or the manager is frowned upon, the forum should close.
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

JohnC wrote: 19 Dec 2021, 17:18
Dembele doesn't make it into our top two players rankings?
It's all about opinions and in mine no
Luton spent several years out of the Football League (2009-14?). Both Coventry and Blackpool have endured horrendous off-pitch difficulties in recent years. They have all survived adversity and seem to be coping well with life in the Championship.
Coventry. Blackpool and Luton don't get crowds of 8,000 home fans for games in the Championship, and didn't get crowds of 4000 in league two
This season witnessed four games
P4 W0 D0 L4 GF2 GA14
ashman

Post by ashman »

Mig25 wrote: 19 Dec 2021, 21:04 This is a football forum, not a therapy forum for berieved nuns.

The comment earlier by the moderator of "Where have all the genuine fans gone?" is frankly insulting to those of us who travel home and away to support the team. Where is it stated that you can only post on here if you think everything is fine? If you criticise DF for his tactics or inability to motivate the players, are you therefore not a genuine fan?

A while back, the moderator suggested that if some players read this forum, they may get upset by comments made by posters on here. What????

I shall be at the Reading game and if I see players not pulling their weight, I shall let rip from my seat. It happens at every other ground so why should LR be any different? If I consider that DF has made a formation howler or needs to change it fast, I shall shout it out too. If the moderator feels that this makes me a non-genuine fan because I don't go along with his "Fergie is untouchable" stance, then all I can do is apologize......not.

This is a football forum and if criticism of players or the manager is frowned upon, the forum should close.
Constructive criticism is always welcomed, but posts suggesting getting rid of the manager and owner and that players, costing the club a fortune in wages that cannot be maintained, should be bought are ridiculous. The last thing that any fan would appreciate is the club going into serious debt, administration and finally out of business. The way some misguided posters think is a guaranteed route to just that. The club has never been in a more successful position than it is just now, in the Championship, completely solvent and planning a new Arena for team and the local community. We may have to suffer a relegation this season but we will be well equipped for life in a lower division. The alternative view is to get rid of our most successful manager and owner, revert to the bad old days of the seventies and eighties, and have to put up with extremely poor games week in week out and with the managers scratching around trying to find enough money to pay the wages! That could easily be the outcome of getting rid of the present manager and owner.