Peterborough United v Reading
REFEREE: MATTHEW DONOHUE

ASSISTANT REFEREES: Richard Wild and Ian Cooper

Fourth Official: Mark Dwyer
'Everybody needs to have a friend'
JohnC

Re: POSH v READING ***POSTPONED***

Post by JohnC »

The COVID outbreak in the Reading camp could have interesting ramifications for our Boxing Day clash; I hope it's not postponed.
JohnC

POSH v Reading {Score} ***POSTPONED***

Post by JohnC »

In the 74th minute of the Millwall game, the visitors, in search of an equaliser, sent on 1.98m striker Matt Smith with the clear intent of playing to his height. Our manager’s response – with Kent available on the bench and twenty minutes still to negotiate – was, essentially, to do nothing and hope for the best. What could go wrong? Well, in the closing minutes of the game, Smith predictably got the hoped-for free header seven yards from goal (Edwards was in the vicinity, but otherwise uninvolved), but inexplicably sent it wide.

Why does this matter now?

Boxing Day. Reading. Andy Carroll. The contest could claim to be the most significant of our season thus far. Whatever version of Andy Carroll Reading have available, they’re likely to deploy it at some point if they feel in urgent need of a goal. If Mark Beevers isn’t at least available on the bench, I’d be interested to know the reason. Our fallibility in the air in our own penalty box is a matter of record.
HantsPosh

Re: POSH v Reading {Score} POSTPONED

Post by HantsPosh »

Edwards plays instead of Beevers as he can be massively hyped up and hopefully sold for a large sum whereas Beevers can't be. I can understand that for a business point of view tbh as the club needs the £££s after a season of BCD games and the hoped for new stadium but not from a footballing perspective. For set pieces JC-H could/would/should mark someone like Smith though
ashman

Post by ashman »

HantsPosh wrote: 17 Dec 2021, 10:21 Edwards plays instead of Beevers as he can be massively hyped up and hopefully sold for a large sum whereas Beevers can't be. I can understand that for a business point of view tbh as the club needs the £££s after a season of BCD games and the hoped for new stadium but not from a footballing perspective. For set pieces JC-H could/would/should mark someone like Smith though
I agree to an extent. However Edwards is a top player in the centre of defence; the only black mark against him is his limited heading ability. Beevers could be the one to do that job but the other mistakes he makes really do not fit into a championship team. We desperately need a top excellent centre back during the January window, probably more than any other position.
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

HantsPosh wrote: 17 Dec 2021, 10:21 Edwards plays instead of Beevers as he can be massively hyped up and hopefully sold for a large sum whereas Beevers can't be. I can understand that for a business point of view tbh as the club needs the £££s after a season of BCD games and the hoped for new stadium but not from a footballing perspective. For set pieces JC-H could/would/should mark someone like Smith though
Smith replaced Afobe : like-for like, attacker for attacker. I'd expect whoever was charged with marking Afobe to switch to Smith. Equally, I'd expect JC-H to be tasked with covering an advancing defender (Millwall had plenty of hefty units there); and the Smith chance came from open play, not a set piece. In fact, earlier in the move, Smith directed an unchallenged header to the wide player, setting up the subsequent cross.
In the Cardiff game, their centre-half, Flint, headed two goals after JC-H was replaced by Randall in the 81st minute.

As for Beevers, We've conceded 22 goals during his 11 appearances, so on that indicator at least, he doesn't seem to add significantly to our defensive strength. At Middlesbrough, his part in conceding the penalty was followed by a weak tackle in the build-up to the second goal, and at Swansea, his ill-advised third-minute foray into the opposition half may linger in the managerial memory.
Last edited by JohnC on 17 Dec 2021, 13:25, edited 2 times in total.
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

ashman wrote: 17 Dec 2021, 11:44
I agree to an extent. However Edwards is a top player in the centre of defence; the only black mark against him is his limited heading ability. Beevers could be the one to do that job but the other mistakes he makes really do not fit into a championship team. We desperately need a top excellent centre back during the January window, probably more than any other position.
I haven't seen Edwards win many aerial challenges, certainly Equally concerning is his lack of pace. Against Plymouth he looked positively leaden-footed, while he seemed very uninterested in exerting himself to try to cut out the cross which led to the Millwall goal. (Knight was unable to make the first block, but arguably he was covering for Thompson who, unsurprisingly, had found himself viewing proceedings from further upfield.) Opposition coaches may view Edwards as a slow defender who can be easily beaten in the air, and lick their lips accordingly.
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

JohnC wrote: 17 Dec 2021, 13:24
I haven't seen Edwards win many aerial challenges, certainly Equally concerning is his lack of pace. Against Plymouth he looked positively leaden-footed, while he seemed very uninterested in exerting himself to try to cut out the cross which led to the Millwall goal.
That’s it then he’s useless, we should give him away on a free in the January window. Ever thought of following a different sport that you might have some idea about. Tiddlywinks perhaps!
This season witnessed four games
P4 W0 D0 L4 GF2 GA14
ashman

Re: POSH v READING

Post by ashman »

bristleposh wrote: 17 Dec 2021, 16:14
I haven't seen Edwards win many aerial challenges, certainly Equally concerning is his lack of pace. Against Plymouth he looked positively leaden-footed, while he seemed very uninterested in exerting himself to try to cut out the cross which led to the Millwall goal.
That’s it then he’s useless, we should give him away on a free in the January window. Ever thought of following a different sport that you might have some idea about. Tiddlywinks perhaps!
Great observations bristle! :D
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

With which part of my comment do you take issue? Is it your view that Edwards is fleet of foot and commanding in the air? I wouldn't worry too much about his sell-on value: 'slow of foot' and 'not dominant in the air' were strictures applied occasionally to that notable 20th century tiddlywink practitioner, Bobby Moore. Swiftness of thought can save a lot of legwork.
pleasureboy60

Post by pleasureboy60 »

I think its a well known fact that if Posh players are attracting interest from bigger clubs, then they will play week in week out regardless of whether they fit into any type of team formation or whether they possess certain abilities(eg heading).
Edwards is on show to bring in the coffers, Championship survival is secondary!
HantsPosh

Post by HantsPosh »

So Bristle please tell us why you rate him so much when we all know he’s only playing so he can continue to hyped to the max by the chairman (admittedly not Edwards fault) and hopefully flogged for big money in January.
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

HantsPosh wrote: 19 Dec 2021, 01:15

So Bristle please tell us why you rate him so much when we all know he’s only playing so he can continue to hyped to the max by the chairman (admittedly not Edwards fault) and hopefully flogged for big money in January.
Yes, he is better than anybody else in that position, in our current set up, probably better than anyone we’ve had in the last ten years, and will be worth every penny we can get for him
This season witnessed four games
P4 W0 D0 L4 GF2 GA14
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

pleasureboy60 wrote: 18 Dec 2021, 21:38 I think its a well known fact that if Posh players are attracting interest from bigger clubs, then they will play week in week out regardless of whether they fit into any type of team formation or whether they possess certain abilities(eg heading).
Edwards is on show to bring in the coffers, Championship survival is secondary!
The complicating factor, in my view, is that selling our best players isn't necessarily the best way to ensure solvency. I imagine that there's a computable financial benefit accruing from staying in the Championship. If that can be ensured with signings like (in recent times) Steven Taylor and (a little while ago) Steve Welsh, who would have limited sell-on value, then that might be a wiser financial strategy than flirting with relegation in the hope of cashing in subsequently on a developing player. It's not a binary choice, of course: we might survive in the Championship on the strength of contributions from Edwards, Burrows and Tomlinson, but it doesn't seem likely. YaYa Anderson didn't help to swell the club coffers.

Fortunately, we have the best deal-maker outside the EPL to make these difficult calls on our behalf.
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

bristleposh wrote: 19 Dec 2021, 08:49
HantsPosh wrote: 19 Dec 2021, 01:15

Yes, he is better than anybody else in that position, in our current set up, probably better than anyone we’ve had in the last ten years, and will be worth every penny we can get for him
Ryan Bennett?
In our present plight, I think I'd select Zakuani or Tafazolli or Steven Taylor ahead of Edwards -- that's not the same as claiming that they are better players. This is not meant in any sense to be a criticism of Edwards; in my 'First Quarter Report' I posted 'Burrows and Edwards don’t look out of place in the Championship', and I still hold that view. I suspect that Edwards' long-term potential might be maximised in a 'base of the diamond' role.