STOKE CITY v POSH (Saturday 20th November 3.00 pm)

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

ashman

STOKE CITY v POSH (Saturday 20th November 3.00 pm)

Post by ashman »

Apparently a very tough stadium for visiting teams and spectators alike. We need to get something out of this and not just kudos that we played well!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'
bristleposh

Re: STOKE CITY v POSH (Saturday 20th November 3.00 pm)

Post by bristleposh »

Bad news is I’m going. Sorry.

A twisted nerve, a ganglion gone awry,
Predestinates the sinner and the saint
ashman

Post by ashman »

bristleposh wrote: 10 Nov 2021, 10:56 Bad news is I’m going. Sorry.
Oh dear, how sad, never mind! (remember this? 1974 to 1981)
ashman

Post by ashman »

Stoke City v Peterborough United Saturday 20th. November (K.O. 15:00)

REFEREE: GEOFF ELTRINGHAM

ASSISTANT REFEREES: Andrew Dallison and Matthew McGrath

Fourth Official: Robert Madley
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

Just been checking on our record v Stoke, we have played them six times in the league drawn one lost five. We have also played them twice in the league cup, one draw one defeat. I fear my 100% record of away defeats may continue today, but hopefully both records will fall. Come on Posh.

ashman

Post by ashman »

Good journey to all the travelling Posh fans. For those of you who are not going, get down to this and report back to us at what's looking likely to be going on. Very shifty arranging this when there will be upwards of 1,000 Posh fans unable to go, as they are following the team into the Potteries!

https://peterboroughembankment.co.uk/
ashman

Post by ashman »

Probably our best away performance so far this season. A deflected early goal and a second well taken one when we were desperately chasing an equaliser in the final minutes. In between a very committed Posh performance having almost 60% possession and lots of shots on goal. Unfortunately the accuracy of the shooting was poor and decisions made were often misplaced. At the end of the day we end up again with no points at all!
p.s. bristle I hope you get your bag back. Was it it the taxi or the pub that you left it?
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

The day from hell started well enough got to the station fairly early, the train was almost on time, which would have been a first, I think only about three minutes late. Got to Birmingham where I knew I had to change, went looking for the screen which confirmed what I had been told on the platform that the train left at 10.44 from platform 6. The train pulled in I jumped on found a seat amongst lots of West Ham supporters going to Wolverhampton which was where I had planned to meet Waggon. The train duly thinned out and I waited to see my mate, no joy so I texted him to say I didn't see him get on, to which he replied because the train hasn't got here yet. I was already on my way towards Preston, first stop, Crewe amongst loads of grumpy Oxford supporters whose game at Wigan had been called off for Covid reasons. I explained to Waggon where I was and that I would get the first train from Crewe to Stoke and see him there as soon as I could. I was looking at the timetable one at 1201 and another at 1208, both on the other side of the station, as the train pulled in I glanced at my phone that now said 1209, damn, I went and asked a rail assistant next train was going to be at 1308. Reminded me a bit of my day at Woking for the Cup tie. I decided to bite the bullet and get a taxi, thus getting me to Stoke around 1230.
Met up with Waggon too late to go to our chosen drinking establishment at Longton, so decided to try a hotel opposite the station, rubbish beers, lagers and ciders, so decided to leave without trying them. I suggested the station bar, which had an excellent selection of Titanic beers, which at only £3.70 a pint seemed a bargain for a station bar. Some lovely females to look at and nice comfortable seating, an enjoyable hour and a half was spent, reminiscing and supping our ales. at about 2.15 we decided to see if there were any taxis available, jumped in the first one, and off we set for the stadium. Traffic got heavier as we approached the stadium and as we approached a roundabout near where all the coaches were parked I suggested to the driver to go round the roundabout and drop us off on the side so he could get back to work and we could get on with finding the away end.
As we walked down the slope away from the roundabout towards that part of the ground. I suddenly realised I hadn't got my bag with the ticket, wallet, snacks, tissues, phone charger, and plug. After an initial panic, I sent Waggon into the ground and tried to see if I could retrieve the situation at the ticket office explaining what had happened. After some very helpful chat, a phone call to find out the postcode of the person who had purchased the ticket, I was able to get a ticket and was about to leave the office when Stoke scored. Made my way to the stadium, and got in and only missed about the first six or seven minutes. Found the seat that my ticket said, which was about two rows in front of where my original seat should have been, which I went to after halftime.
Posh certainly played a lot better, all apart from that finishing touch that would have got us back into the game. I thought we'd been robbed of an equaliser when Sammy headed in, only to discover watching the highlights that the linesman had made a correct decision. Stoke showed how to be dirty at the level, so many fouls and yet the only red card came late on for a stupid act, but if the offences had been the other way I'm sure Posh would have lost more than one player. We are too clean. To lose the second goal when we were pressing for an equalizer was certainly forgivable, Overall a thoroughly good performance.
Having cancelled my debit card, at halftime I tried to cancel my credit card without success until I got back to the station.
The walk back to the station nearly killed me, it must have been at least three miles, and it started raining.
I made enquiries at Customer Services to see if my bag had been handed in, No. I tried asking the taxi drivers in the rank if they knew anything, and one gave me an office phone, which I rang and the chap said he'd put out a message with my number attached, and he felt sure that if it was left in the cab that the driver would ring me.
On the train going back to Wolverhampton, Waggon checked train times from New Street for me, and if I managed to get on the right train and ended up in Bristol and not Shrewsbury, I should be there at 21.30. Great, he got off and I was joined by some Wolverhampton supporters, who were drinking red wine and eating prawns from M & S. The one opposite me had more tattoos than a very tattooed man, face head, fingers, hands, eyelids etc, but what a nice guy.
We were going slow on the outskirts of Brum and I feared I might not make the connection although I should have had 20 minutes. Then the train stopped and an announcement came over the speaker that because of a Police incident they were being held and there was no idea as to when we would eventually move, about an hour passed, during which time I'd tried to contact the trouble, no signal, and Mr Tattoo man said he had a signal and I could use the phone to contact her (Reminder to self, I must thank him). The next train would now get me to Parkway at about 10.30, which of course would be late by about twelve minutes. After walking down to my car and driving home I got in shortly after eleven.
One bit of good news, I had a call just before Wolverhampton from a taxi driver in Stoke who had found my bag, with luck I should be reunited with it in a couple of days.

ashman

Post by ashman »

Good news mate and a quick chat in the stadium was welcome. You should have stayed with the trouble, by the sound of things.
Brianposh

Post by Brianposh »

Oh! dear Nick. Now you know why I am "easing" back from away games these days.
Well done anyway for your efforts.
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

Brianposh wrote: 21 Nov 2021, 14:10 Oh! dear Nick. Now you know why I am "easing" back from away games these days.
Well done anyway for your efforts.
Thanks Brian