Reality used to be a friend of mine

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

Sheriff Fatman

Reality used to be a friend of mine

Post by Sheriff Fatman »

Charlton fans criticised the manager (Curbs) that had got them into the Top 10 of the 1st division. My point is that if Posh finish 4th bottom or higher, this season, it will be a success. How we do that, I don’t really care. I’ve seen some comments on here about being a small club; which I disagree with, but in context, PUFC, in Championship is def punching above its fan base. Stump up the stats and you’ll prob find L1 is the natural resting place, so enjoy this season, and as I expect, next season in CH.
ashman

Re: Reality used to be a friend of mine

Post by ashman »

Sheriff Fatman wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 00:57 Charlton fans criticised the manager (Curbs) that had got them into the Top 10 of the 1st division. My point is that if Posh finish 4th bottom or higher, this season, it will be a success. How we do that, I don’t really care. I’ve seen some comments on here about being a small club; which I disagree with, but in context, PUFC, in Championship is def punching above its fan base. Stump up the stats and you’ll prob find L1 is the natural resting place, so enjoy this season, and as I expect, next season in CH.
Well said sir! But I expect that if we do manage to stay in the Championship for a few years and establish ourselves in the league, then the fan base will come along with us.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'
Steamy Nin

Post by Steamy Nin »

"PUFC, in Championship is def punching above its fan base" - totally agree and I say credit to DMac & Fergie for this. Great to have a big crowd yesterday though, let's have more of them.
dunc

Post by dunc »

I think a few more performances like yesterday will certainly encourage the fans and should add to the next home gate.
it will be our strong home performances that can keep us up.
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

I hate this "we are a small club and League 1 is our natural level" bullsh*t....this is not what DMac wants, it's not why Fergie is here, it's not why we are investing in the U-23s, new stadium etc....get with the program and raise your expectations, we are buying and selling players at levels we never have before, we deserve to be where we are and we are good enough to stay here as evidenced on Saturday

We need to change the atmosphere, the small club/small fry attitude and expect more and demand more...DMac, Fergie and the team would want nothing less...
hondurasposh

Post by hondurasposh »

Well said. In over thirty years as a Posh supporter this is by far the most exciting time. We have dynamic visionary owners; all three of them. We have created a model of finding raw talent and developing that talent which is the envy of many clubs. We will have an incredible multi- purpose stadium in the next three years. We play good football. Peterborough the city is growing and so is its football club. We are not a small club. We are a club envied by many supporters around the country. We are showing how a club that is not one of the traditionally fashionable football clubs can do business. Our fan base will grow. Sustained Championship football will push our average up way beyond 10k and the new stadium will push it up to 15 K and beyond. We are not only surviving, we are thriving. I have to pinch myself sometimes to remind myself that this is all actually happening. We could so have easily fallen off the edge of the football world like so many other clubs we used to play (Wrexham, Chesterfield, Grimsby - And I pick these because these were clubs as big ifnot bigger than us). The supporters have to lose this we are a small cmub mentality and get on the bis and enjoy the ride. We are not a small club; we are a visionary forward thinking club that is leading the way and an example to many others. Inside ten years, the Posh will have tasted the Premie League. I have absolutely no doubt in this.
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

hondurasposh wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 00:29 Well said. In over thirty years as a Posh supporter this is by far the most exciting time. We have dynamic visionary owners; all three of them. We have created a model of finding raw talent and developing that talent which is the envy of many clubs. We will have an incredible multi- purpose stadium in the next three years. We play good football. Peterborough the city is growing and so is its football club. We are not a small club. We are a club envied by many supporters around the country. We are showing how a club that is not one of the traditionally fashionable football clubs can do business. Our fan base will grow. Sustained Championship football will push our average up way beyond 10k and the new stadium will push it up to 15 K and beyond. We are not only surviving, we are thriving. I have to pinch myself sometimes to remind myself that this is all actually happening. We could so have easily fallen off the edge of the football world like so many other clubs we used to play (Wrexham, Chesterfield, Grimsby - And I pick these because these were clubs as big ifnot bigger than us). The supporters have to lose this we are a small cmub mentality and get on the bis and enjoy the ride. We are not a small club; we are a visionary forward thinking club that is leading the way and an example to many others. Inside ten years, the Posh will have tasted the Premie League. I have absolutely no doubt in this.
That is much more like it...expect and demand more........
ashman

Post by ashman »

Lots of very positive posts. Great to see. The only thing I would dispute is that we will be in our new stadium in 2-3 years! :comeon:
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

ashman wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 07:58 Lots of very positive posts. Great to see. The only thing I would dispute is that we will be in our new stadium in 2-3 years! :comeon:
I agree with you, I’d expect it to be closer to ten years.
Northampton, a town where Bob is not necessarily just your Uncle
ashman

Post by ashman »

bristleposh wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 08:33
ashman wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 07:58 Lots of very positive posts. Great to see. The only thing I would dispute is that we will be in our new stadium in 2-3 years! :comeon:
I agree with you, I’d expect it to be closer to ten years.
If at all ..... :shock:
Sheriff Fatman

Post by Sheriff Fatman »

Thank you to those who shared their thoughts. If any of you were there today, you would have seen that we should have won the game, but obviously didn’t. The opposition was poor. The crowd was below 9K, for a not-small-club in the championship I would be disappointed, but as a realist, I was impressed, given the conditions. Mr Ashman, def agree attendances would go up.

I was brought up to believe a supporter supported their team, so I can only presume some of the clowns on here are for trolling purposes.I still think 4th bottom is duable, but we might need some more points reductions to help!
BTW, New stadium 😳🙈😂
ashman

Post by ashman »

Sheriff Fatman wrote: 02 Oct 2021, 23:12 Thank you to those who shared their thoughts. If any of you were there today, you would have seen that we should have won the game, but obviously didn’t. The opposition was poor. The crowd was below 9K, for a not-small-club in the championship I would be disappointed, but as a realist, I was impressed, given the conditions. Mr Ashman, def agree attendances would go up.

I was brought up to believe a supporter supported their team, so I can only presume some of the clowns on here are for trolling purposes.I still think 4th bottom is duable, but we might need some more points reductions to help!
BTW, New stadium 😳🙈😂
Well said SF. I think that in general the 'clowns' as you call them are genuine fans but just have a very distorted view of how to support their club. Constant criticism is bound to grind people down eventually whereas a positive outlook is definitely a better way to go.
I also agree that we should have won that game today!
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

ashman wrote: 03 Oct 2021, 00:03
Sheriff Fatman wrote: 02 Oct 2021, 23:12 Thank you to those who shared their thoughts. If any of you were there today, you would have seen that we should have won the game, but obviously didn’t. The opposition was poor. The crowd was below 9K, for a not-small-club in the championship I would be disappointed, but as a realist, I was impressed, given the conditions. Mr Ashman, def agree attendances would go up.

BTW, New stadium 😳🙈😂
Well said SF. I think that in general the 'clowns' as you call them are genuine fans but just have a very distorted view of how to support their club. Constant criticism is bound to grind people down eventually whereas a positive outlook is definitely a better way to go.
I also agree that we should have won that game today!
"supporting" your team or blind devotion?? If it were as easy as just swinging your rattle and shouting "jolly good effort" there wouldn't be football shows, online forums or any real need to do anything but happy clap.....you can support your team/club and criticize certain aspects such as the manager, tactics, individual performances, the ref...in fact, this is what real football supporters do every day of the week...If you support Posh, right now you should be disappointed - the manager is, the chairman is and so are most fans....you should be looking for where it has gone a bit wrong and maybe you think we are a small club and anything above the 4th division is an achievement?

Despite all of this, I personally think we can achieve that 4th from bottom given our squad - just need a couple of wins to steady the ship....it's been a surprisingly poor start according to DMac and Fergie but many "supporters" predicted as we seemed to be repeating behavior from the past and expecting a different result (that is a definition of insanity)....

Questioning someone's support because they question the "process" is more a statement of your expectations than anything.....