Sheffield Utd. v Posh

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

stumpy

Re: Sheffield Utd. v Posh

Post by stumpy »

Ohboy, the famous Fergie diamond is back...
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

6-2 and the scoreline doesn't flatter them at all...that was an embarrassment for 90 minutes...men against boys and we have learned nothing from our last foray into the championship...of course they have players that cost tens of millions but Blackpool beat Fulham and Hull draw at Swansea - we need to wise up and sharpen up on and off the pitch...that was one almighty thrashing
ontheup

Post by ontheup »

The Kent/Knight partnership does not work, Butler poor, Burrow's inexperience showed, and Ward average, Sammie should take up marathon running as that's about all he did, run around like a headless chicken, Fergie need to own this situation as it's him that said we didn't need any defensive cover, well he has been proved wrong yet again his judgement.this was not an off day this was our standard as a team.
PoshCynic

Post by PoshCynic »

ontheup wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 18:06 The Kent/Knight partnership does not work, Butler poor, Burrow's inexperience showed, and Ward average, Sammie should take up marathon running as that's about all he did, run around like a headless chicken, Fergie need to own this situation as it's him that said we didn't need any defensive cover, well he has been proved wrong yet again his judgement.this was not an off day this was our standard as a team.
Ferguson does not have a clue at Championship level. Management brought in a number of young inexperienced players with a view to the future. What was needed were players for the here and now. Tactically, DF's shortcomings are revealed at this level as they were at PNE and here at Posh when last in the Championship. Does the club really want Championship football? If it does then a change of attitude by Mr MacAnthony & Mr Ferguson will be needed in January as regards the type of player needed.
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

Wish I’d stayed in the pub, there were a couple of real crackers, as to the football, we did brilliantly not to concede double figures, Marriott was poor but probably our best player whilst JCH was equally as good. Mark’s out of ten four for Marriott and JCH, three for the rest, Pym despite leaking six goals was not really at fault for any of them.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/0e/c2/b5/0ec2b50ef04c84b9d3ea6ebe3b8e55dd.jpg
pleasureboy60

Post by pleasureboy60 »

PoshCynic wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 21:30
ontheup wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 18:06 The Kent/Knight partnership does not work, Butler poor, Burrow's inexperience showed, and Ward average, Sammie should take up marathon running as that's about all he did, run around like a headless chicken, Fergie need to own this situation as it's him that said we didn't need any defensive cover, well he has been proved wrong yet again his judgement.this was not an off day this was our standard as a team.
Ferguson does not have a clue at Championship level. Management brought in a number of young inexperienced players with a view to the future. What was needed were players for the here and now. Tactically, DF's shortcomings are revealed at this level as they were at PNE and here at Posh when last in the Championship. Does the club really want Championship football? If it does then a change of attitude by Mr MacAnthony & Mr Ferguson will be needed in January as regards the type of player needed.
Might be too late come January. I thought we may have learnt our lessons from the last time we were in the championship but apparently not.
I appreciate that we can't compete financially with clubs like Sheffield United etc, but I think the club is still prioritising making money from bringing on young players rather than planning on a future in this league.
Unfortunately a club of our size will not be able to do both.
ashman

Post by ashman »

Total overreaction by some of the posters on here. I listened to DMac's podcast on the way to the match and he tipped Sheffield Utd to be one of the top three teams in the league this season. I can see where he was coming from and if you assess their team, it is riddled with top class players, many with Premier League experience.
Instead of knocking our players and the manager, I put it to you that Sheffield played superbly and never gave us a look in. How many teams can honestly say that they have never conceded six goals? Hopefully this will have been our 'six goal walloping' for the season. Get a result at Reading on Tuesday and all this will be forgotten!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'
Brianposh

Post by Brianposh »

I CANNOT comment on the first half as fans insisted on standing up and I SAW VERY LITTLE. My first away game of the Season was disappointing and we were well beaten. It is going to be a long Season unless they face up to reality. Marriot my Man of the Match.
The defenders must learn to position themselves in front of the opposition players far more, otherwise several more results will result in the same score. We moved our seating position at half-time.
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

Brianposh wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 09:05 I CANNOT comment on the first half as fans insisted on standing up and I SAW VERY LITTLE. My first away game of the Season was disappointing and we were well beaten. It is going to be a long Season unless they face up to reality. Marriot my Man of the Match.
The defenders must learn to position themselves in front of the opposition players far more, otherwise several more results will result in the same score. We moved our seating position at half-time.
I had a similar problem but was fortunate enough to be stood behind a ten-year-old who spent the whole game throwing obscene gestures at opposing fans. I'm sure he didn't look at the match more than twice, yet stood throughout.
ashman

Post by ashman »

Brianposh wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 09:05 I CANNOT comment on the first half as fans insisted on standing up and I SAW VERY LITTLE. My first away game of the Season was disappointing and we were well beaten. It is going to be a long Season unless they face up to reality. Marriot my Man of the Match.
It was like that almost everywhere on that stand. I spotted the problem fairly quickly and moved so I could see better. I did need to stand some of the time and had to sit down every now and then. There was a huge amount of complete idiots in our fans and even a certain .netter who usually likes the more robust goings on at a match commented to me about their behaviour at half time in the concourse. I didn't go down there, I stayed in my seat, worried that I might not get the same after vacating it. It must have been bad for our top fan to have complained to me about it!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

I'm tired of the "we are a small club punching above our weight" rhetoric....that was 25 years ago...we have a multi-millionaire set of owners and we have netted millions from transfer fees. We have spent millions just this summer alone. We are not the Peterborough of old. I am sure that DMac does not buy into the "poor little Posh" story line and nor should he....

After 6 games, we are 2nd bottom (maybe bottom if Forest win today) because we have looked naive and poorly coached. Yesterday was an abysmal capitulation...yes Sheff Utd are replete with premiership leve players and parachute cash but we need to turn up and make their lives hell...they need to earn the win not be gifted it...

I fully expect that we can be a championship club and establish ourselves just like Millwall, Reading, Brentford, Barnsley, Huddersfield, Preston and others but, only if we have learned from past rookie mistakes....the evidence so far is that we have learned very little indeed...no over reaction from me, but I must admit that I am a little surprised that it all feels so Groundhog Day....need to wise up and make it verry hard for Reading on Tuesday - 3 points there and maybe we can exhale...
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

I do agree with you about the coaching the main problems yesterday were a
Lot to do with starting with two second choice centre backs and not changing away from three at the back when it was begging to be changed. If we have a right back in the under 23 side he must start. Butler can play left back, Knight seems to have gone backwards since his spell with Wycombe. Now Coventry has had time to learn people’s names, Norburn Grant and Taylor should be good enough on midfield and surely two of Dembele JCH and Marriott should give us enough fire power