Five Games In

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

stumpy

Five Games In

Post by stumpy »

Last night's game reminded me of most of our previous attempts in the championship. Good effort, lots of running, hard work and tackling (DMac will be happy) but, when you analyze under the cold light of day, we created very little, hung in there and left the game with zero points. Yes WBA (and Cardiff) were big, ugly and relentless barrage of long balls/throws into the box but we were far from Barcelona beauty....they have a budget that is out of sight for us so they should and could do better but, when they look at the table, it looks better than our view.

To be fair, we have hobbled our way into this campaign, JCH, Marriott, Taylor and Dembele (That's a multi million pound injury list) are not fit and we've lost RJJ and Beevers to long term injuries. The new signings look a bit League 1/League 2 but could come good as they get used to the demands of the championship.

I think the next 5 games are crucial - like Preston,we meet Sheff Utd and Reading at the very best of times, we need to win two of the three home games coming up and pick up 3-4 points away...The international break has come at a very good time for us...get the players fit, sort out the dembele situation (we can't afford to lose him) and,get a couple of players in who know this level.

We don't hold the ball well and like last season, we are very weak under the press...Jack Taylor is going to be a key element going forward and I still feel we need a strong partner next to him. For all his holding up, winning headers and strength, JCH is not really a championship striker and Marriott looks like he has a long way to go at this level....we need a very good centre forward...

All in all, we are in there competing and I would be happy with 4th from bottom so not all doom and gloom but, the signs are ominous and a bit "groundhog day'...could change either way over September when we reach the 10 game mark....

Two other things, not taking the knee just looks terrible and I hope that isn't our Trump loving chairman and, creating a fortress at London Road is essential