Posh v Derby 14/08/21

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

bristleposh

Posh v Derby 14/08/21

Post by bristleposh »

A worry for me, that we are going into this game with only one half fit striker, nice that we have attempted to shore up the middle of the park, but despite our short comings in that area, we were over run down both flanks against Luton. As usual I hope I’m wrong, but apparently Kanu didn’t excel in the role of lone striker after the sad departure of Ricky-Jade v Plymouth. Hopefully now we have a midfield breaker, Knight will revert to his correct position, whom alongside is difficult to judge, Edwards apparently hasn’t developed and Kent has been poor in both games, Beevers lacks pace, not sure about Thompson in a back two, are any of the new signings fit and ready to step up like Fernandez. Until sick-note Taylor comes back who plays alongside Grant and Norburn, Hamilton possibly, or Barker do we go with Burrows, and the less than impressive Ward. I think this game will give Ferguson a headache I’m pleased I don’t have to face.

A twisted nerve, a ganglion gone awry,
Predestinates the sinner and the saint
Cheryl

Re: Posh v Derby 14/08/21

Post by Cheryl »

I reckon this will be tougher than first expected but we can win it.

Luton was difficult but Plymouth was a lots of players we might not see again for some time.
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

Didn’t see that coming

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

Up to seventh level on points with the leaders

Goals in injury time from the two substitutes.

OBM

Post by OBM »

Pleasantly surprised by the lads today, especially Burrows Dembele and Norburn and DF did a good job too.
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

really good to get those three points...it was a tepid affair and we looked a bit void of ideas until the subs came on...credit to Joe Ward who really puts in a shift and set up both goals...I thought Butler, Norburn and Thompson played well - very good effort from the rest including the two forwards...Dembele is the real difference maker in the side for sure....all in all, it's about the three points...it feel like a relegation/non-league game and I thought the noise from our crowd was awful...credit to Fergie on the subs (albeit, the Knight for Randall was a strange one)

Great to get the 3 points and hats off to Harrison Burrows who really looks good
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

bristleposh wrote: 14 Aug 2021, 14:36 Up to seventh level on points with the leaders

Now down to 14th not good enough, Fergie out :lol:

But still only one point behind the leaders

Wilco

Post by Wilco »

stumpy wrote: 14 Aug 2021, 15:50 really good to get those three points...it was a tepid affair and we looked a bit void of ideas until the subs came on...credit to Joe Ward who really puts in a shift and set up both goals...I thought Butler, Norburn and Thompson played well - very good effort from the rest including the two forwards...Dembele is the real difference maker in the side for sure....all in all, it's about the three points...it feel like a relegation/non-league game and I thought the noise from our crowd was awful...credit to Fergie on the subs (albeit, the Knight for Randall was a strange one)

Great to get the 3 points and hats off to Harrison Burrows who really looks good
I wasn’t going to post on here again, but.....
Yep, if it wasn’t for Steve Evans signing Dembele, we’d have lost today.
“The noise from our crowd was awful” good grief! I stood in the London road end it was so loud that my ears hurt by the end of the game, obviously doesn’t come across on your tv/pc Stumpy, have you tried turning the volume up?
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

Wilco wrote: 14 Aug 2021, 21:54
stumpy wrote: 14 Aug 2021, 15:50 really good to get those three points...it was a tepid affair and we looked a bit void of ideas until the subs came on...credit to Joe Ward who really puts in a shift and set up both goals...I thought Butler, Norburn and Thompson played well - very good effort from the rest including the two forwards...Dembele is the real difference maker in the side for sure....all in all, it's about the three points...it feel like a relegation/non-league game and I thought the noise from our crowd was awful...credit to Fergie on the subs (albeit, the Knight for Randall was a strange one)

I wasn’t going to post on here again, but.....
Yep, if it wasn’t for Steve Evans signing Dembele, we’d have lost today.
“The noise from our crowd was awful” good grief! I stood in the London road end it was so loud that my ears hurt by the end of the game, obviously doesn’t come across on your tv/pc Stumpy, have you tried turning the volume up?
So, having lived abroad for almost 30 years, I have to watch most of my football on TV/Computer - there were periods of the game today where it felt quieter than the Spalding game - after watching Brentford's crowd last night just belt it our from start to finish, it sounded tame. Not sure what your Steve Evans comment is about, I was more interested in the difference Dembele made (along with the other subs) - I think Fergie was right when he said the game was cruising to a tame 0-0 but them scoring really woke us up...I thought Fergie changed the game well with the subs today. It's really all about staying up and we've started better than last time (lost 7 on the bounce) ...I think we have a chance this year because I think we are able (and willing) to spend where others are not able - pity that your decision to post on here delivered such a poor effort in furthering the debate...good win and, yes, I hope we hold onto Dembele....
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

bristleposh wrote: 14 Aug 2021, 17:08
bristleposh wrote: 14 Aug 2021, 14:36 Up to seventh level on points with the leaders

Now down to 14th not good enough, Fergie out :lol:

But still only one point behind the leaders
After the first week, even the most positive Posh supporter was worried (as was the manager) Long old season and 3 points against Derby was a must....Fergie for manager of the month :clap:
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

Just watched the "extended" highlights and it's the first time that there was only one highlight from the first half and that was the long shot from JCH that Derby's keeper did his best to mess up...great to relive the comeback but, as the euphoria dies down a little, it was a relatively poor performance...I think we can kick on with confidence now...bring on the Cardiff...
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

stumpy wrote: 15 Aug 2021, 23:41 as the euphoria dies down a little, it was a relatively poor performance...I think we can kick on with confidence now...bring on the Cardiff...
As in all sport, you can only beat what is put in front of you, I would suggest it was a far better performance from our players than in the two previous games, Derby were certainly better than Plymouth, but then we did field a virtually second team. The difference made by Grant and Norburn was massive. If we are now to play with Szmodics and Taylor I feel the only way is for Sammie to play up top alongside JCH or Marriott, and Taylor in place of either one of the wing-backs or for us to revert to four at the back. Then the only way we can expect to see Knight in the starting lineup is as a centre half alongside either Beevers or Kent.

Cheryl

Post by Cheryl »

You would have understood Knight for Randall if you was at the game. We were starting to lose the midfield and Randall was tiring rapidly.

But I hear you are in good company with not reading the game. The Chairman was apparently losing his temper about that substitution. We saw the benefit of it when we took the game to Derby. They couldn't break through us any longer.
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

Oh, thank you for "explaining"....everybody who knows the game thought it was a strange substitution at the time....still, we won and, as I said "credit to Fergie for the subs"...do you actually read anything or are you too busy trying to "understand" the game?
Cheryl

Post by Cheryl »

Not as busy as you are with your Blame Fergie vendetta.

Whatever floats your boat, big man.