Posh's needs

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

ashman

Posh's needs

Post by ashman »

New thread for those who can't distinguish between 'Incoming Rumours' and "Posh's Needs.'
'Everybody needs to have a friend'
stumpy

Posh's needs

Post by stumpy »

Based on yesterday, we need:-

1) Play the players in their proper position
2) Play players that are fit, not recovering from injury
3) Buy 3-4 experienced championship players including 1 central midfielder (maybe 2), a right back and a center back (for what its worth, I don't think the GK is going to be good enough) and a forward ...

We really missed Dembele and his spark...I hope he signs a new contract because JCH and Szmodics are L1
bristleposh

Posh's needs

Post by bristleposh »

stumpy wrote: 08 Aug 2021, 23:21 Based on yesterday, we need:-

3) Buy 3-4 experienced championship players including 1 central midfielder (maybe 2), a right back and a center back (for what its worth, I don't think the GK is going to be good enough) and a forward ...

We really missed Dembele and his spark...I hope he signs a new contract because JCH and Szmodics are L1
1 yes, 2 yes, 3 give DMac a few tens of millions then, perhaps we should get Cookesey or Griemink back, get Mark Little and Charlie Lee they both have Championship experience. We have the cards we have been dealt with. Mistakes will be made, but being so critical of everyone after one game I suppose is what you’d expect from a typical Posh fan.
The man who invented the word search has died his funeral...

T T I S P V G K M P H J G U O N Q U X N M O N D A Y S Z B A T K T E N O P G
stumpy

Re: Posh's needs

Post by stumpy »

bristleposh wrote: 09 Aug 2021, 08:28

1 yes, 2 yes, 3 give DMac a few tens of millions then, perhaps we should get Cookesey or Griemink back, get Mark Little and Charlie Lee they both have Championship experience. We have the cards we have been dealt with. Mistakes will be made, but being so critical of everyone after one game I suppose is what you’d expect from a typical Posh fan.
i think you are missing the point. We got £7 million for the championship promotion, millions for Toney and his Brentford promotion...we could have loaned in or bought in players and, I believe we still will. The bigger issue is that many of us saw this coming, we did not set League 1 alight to be honest with Pym, Thompson, Beevers, Kent, Butler, Ward, Hamilton, JCH, Szmodics all good but not great at League 1 level...some may push on in the championship, some won't....that's why the summer is really important BUT, as you agree with points 1 and 2 from my post, we had much more in our control in terms of selection and formation...in summary, Fergie messed this one up, he needs to do better.
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

You said buy 3 or 4 championship ready players, and then list nine, in your summation only Taylor and Dembele are good enough, one is injury prone the other wants away. Even Wycombe didn’t change that many, of the staff we have, I don’t think we can afford to improve on Virtually any of the ones you have named. According to a lot of people who watched the game, either in person or on iFollow suggest that our best player was Butler. I didn’t see it that way, but I had a Homer moment slapping my forehead when very early in the game he miss-controlled the ball that went out for a throw in. From that moment on I winced every time the ball went close to him, so I probably missed some of his better moments. Having had time to sleep on our performance a couple of times, I think our main problem was a lack of fitness. Our speed merchant Ward couldn’t get close to outrunning their full back, and playing a young lad who’d shone at non league level out of position was another major deficiency. The lad looked to have a lot of potential, and as Ward doesn’t appear to be making the step up, I’d play him on the right of a back five. Surely our youth players should be ready to start too, Edwards and Burrows, and maybe even RJJ needs to be started.
The man who invented the word search has died his funeral...

T T I S P V G K M P H J G U O N Q U X N M O N D A Y S Z B A T K T E N O P G
ashman

Post by ashman »

stumpy wrote: 09 Aug 2021, 18:16

i think you are missing the point. We got £7 million for the championship promotion, millions for Toney and his Brentford promotion...we could have loaned in or bought in players and, I believe we still will. The bigger issue is that many of us saw this coming, we did not set League 1 alight to be honest with Pym, Thompson, Beevers, Kent, Butler, Ward, Hamilton, JCH, Szmodics all good but not great at League 1 level...some may push on in the championship, some won't....that's why the summer is really important BUT, as you agree with points 1 and 2 from my post, we had much more in our control in terms of selection and formation...in summary, Fergie messed this one up, he needs to do better.
It's easy to throw the blame at Fergie and co as they are the ones at the chalkface.

A bigger problem is how you can persuade Championship level players to come and play for Posh. They would either be journeymen, looking for a last decent payoff, that would cost a fortune in transfer fee and wages. Even if the powers that be manage to get to talk to these sort of players they would still need to persuade them that they could have a happy and prosperous year at Posh. Their alternative for these players would probably be playing for a far more potentially successful team and not have the prospect of a relegation battle in their sights, week in week out.

The alternative for the club is to rely on our own developed youngsters and sign League One, League Two and maybe even lower players who have real potential and hope against hope that they will quickly perform at a Championship level.

What would you do?

1) Sign experienced players, maybe in the last throes of their career, injury prone and looking for a last payoff and hope they can do the business probably shifting the club nearer to a debt situation

or

2) Sign young, potentially superb, untried players at Championship level without costing the club a fortune, but maybe with less of a chance of staying in the Championship.

I know that I wouldn't want to be Fergie and co making this sort of decision!!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

ashman wrote: 09 Aug 2021, 19:08
stumpy wrote: 09 Aug 2021, 18:16

It's easy to throw the blame at Fergie and co as they are the ones at the chalkface.

A bigger problem is how you can persuade Championship level players to come and play for Posh. They would either be journeymen, looking for a last decent payoff, that would cost a fortune in transfer fee and wages. Even if the powers that be manage to get to talk to these sort of players they would still need to persuade them that they could have a happy and prosperous year at Posh. Their alternative for these players would probably be playing for a far more potentially successful team and not have the prospect of a relegation battle in their sights, week in week out.

The alternative for the club is to rely on our own developed youngsters and sign League One, League Two and maybe even lower players who have real potential and hope against hope that they will quickly perform at a Championship level.

What would you do?

1) Sign experienced players, maybe in the last throes of their career, injury prone and looking for a last payoff and hope they can do the business probably shifting the club nearer to a debt situation

or

2) Sign young, potentially superb, untried players at Championship level without costing the club a fortune, but maybe with less of a chance of staying in the Championship.

I know that I wouldn't want to be Fergie and co making this sort of decision!!
How about

3) Sign or loan one or two experienced championship campaigners (like Hull)
4) Loan one or two premiership starlets whose clubs want them to get championship experience (Like Hull)

or....

5) Sign lower league players and hope they will step up to the grade and supplement with former players with an injury and then hope that those who have not made it at championship level come good (This is the current choice)

It's not one or two choices, it's a combination of half a dozen...we are all in on hoping league 1, league 2 and non league players are going to step up

By the way, don't feel sorry for Fergie, he has the most financial support of any Posh manager in history....