Luton v Posh 7/8/21

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

stumpy

Re: Luton v Posh 7/8/21

Post by stumpy »

ashman wrote: 07 Aug 2021, 20:20
bristleposh wrote: 07 Aug 2021, 19:45
BanburyPosh wrote: 07 Aug 2021, 18:51 Hmmm, didn’t expect miracles but would really like to see an unbiased report from someone who went. Don’t think anyone took any notice of my earlier message though, probably only the noisy 1,032 who made the trip. Looks like Mr.Woolmer strikes again! Luton 18 fouls 1 yellow in the 93rd minute, Posh 7 fouls, yes 7 fouls resulting in 5 yellows. Were they all really worthy of a yellow? Anyway onwards and upwards.

:clap: :comeon: :clap:
Having watched the game in my bedroom, I’d say all the yellows were spot on apart from one that should really have been red. We were outplayed in just about every department. 3 substitutes wasn’t enough, we could have changed about eight and still not been a match for them. JCH was nowhere near match fit, Ward, Knight, Grant, Kent, Beevers didn’t look up to the standard request, Butler, and Szmodics, we’re careless on many occasions. The new boy Tomlinson, Randall, Hamilton, Pym, Edwards, and Thompson are the only ones who’s hand shouldn’t shake when they pick up their pay check.
I thought that the ref handled the game fairly well. Following on from the standards of reffing in the recent World Cup there seemed to be a lot more leniency in reffing, allowing the game to flow well. The fact he got the penalty decision wrong was a shame but I don't think that, had it been given and scored, it would have made much difference to the full time result.
I was impressed with Jorge Grant and Dan Butler (after a couple of early cock-ups) Thompson was his usual self but Frankie Kent needs to learn quickly that he is not going to have so much time as he did in League One and was replaced by the young lad Edwards who looked assured, as we know he can be. Beevers coped well with their aerial threat and Knight was ok in patches. Sammie ran around ineffectively. JCH was superb, considering he had only had 45 minutes playing time before the game, and put in a gritty full 90 mins, and won virtually every aerial battle but was let down by Sammie playing way too far away from him. Joe Ward did nothing all game, and Hamilton tried to up the tempo abit when he came on. Joel Randell was maybe the one plus from this game, replacing a fairly poor debut by Tomlinson.
The fact that 3/4 of the Luton defence were not first choices and one is a central midfielder makes JCH look decidedly average and don't get me going on "runs around a lot" Szmodics....it's not hard to see why Bristol City offloaded at this level....I didn't see any positives aside from the fact that our manager can't be this bad again........surely
HantsPosh

Post by HantsPosh »

Fergie isn’t a manager from a lower league he’s a Championship manager whether you like it or not.
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

HantsPosh wrote: 08 Aug 2021, 22:02 Fergie isn’t a manager from a lower league he’s a Championship manager whether you like it or not.
Well, he's managed in the championship, I'll give you that - but, he's no championship level manager
PoshCynic

Post by PoshCynic »

HantsPosh wrote: 08 Aug 2021, 22:02 Fergie isn’t a manager from a lower league he’s a Championship manager whether you like it or not.
Utterly out of his depth at Championship level in my opinion.
pleasureboy60

Post by pleasureboy60 »

I'm not going to critisise Posh after one poor performance.
We have to remember that this is a big step up in class for many of our players and on Saturday, against Luton they bullied us rather than outclassed us.
They are an established team with players who are familiar with what the Championship requires and the physicality needed. I'm sure Fergie and our chairman will have taken note of what we will need to compete and survive if we want to stay in this league and progress.
My only concern is that we may have to adapt a slightly more physical approach to our games and at this moment in time, I don't think we are blessed with many players who can stamp their mark on a game.
It's all very well trying to play tippy tap football but sometimes muscle and strength is a more effective means of grinding out results.
I wouldnt be surprised to see a more experienced midfield general in by the weekend.
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

pleasureboy60 wrote: 09 Aug 2021, 14:22
My only concern is that we may have to adapt a slightly more physical approach to our games
I think five bookings might suggest the ref thought we were too physical. I think athleticism and strength rather than physicality.
Northampton, a town where Bob is not necessarily just your Uncle
OBM

Post by OBM »

We have been waiting for a midfield general for many years now, what we really need is someone to play upfront
OBM

Post by OBM »

DF is most definitely a lower league manager, all the things we said we should not do for the start of our championship season we have done, we bought in no experience, we instantly played players out of position, we showed no trust in Burrows or RJJ. I don't know what to believe with regard to Dembele, he is probably just in a ruddy great sulk. Marriott is obviously a crock, the players are not fit and pre season was not great. I don't give a monkeys about the result against Plymouth but we really to need to beat Derby as they will be hot competition for a relegation spot, a bad start we really did not need.
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

One game is not going to define our season (at least, it better not!!!) and that will have been a wake-up call to the entire club......the fact that a number of us saw this ia mile off and months ago is what made is so frustrating. We should know better - we lost seven on the bounce last time we started in the league and much of that was down to average recruitment over the summer and players simply being over run, out-thought and out-fought....playing defenders in midfield, injured and unfit strikers and having a team with a number of players who have tried this level before but not succeeded is hoping for a lot of luck, a lot of surprising development and a lot of management knowledge in managing a game...we showed none of these....we should have learned, loaned in a couple of premiership players and, if the first choice is unfit, play the youngster....we lost 3-0, playing Burrows and RJJ, Knight in defence might have produced the same result....or, we might have notched a goal on the break...one game in and a 1/10 performance....it can only get better...