Jonson Clarke-Harris

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

JohnC

Jonson Clarke-Harris

Post by JohnC »

Before joining us, he scored 24 goals in 42 games for a struggling Bristol Rovers side. Without him, Rovers finished bottom this season, ten points adrift of safety.
He scored 31 goals for us in 45 games, including 7 penalties, 3 free-kicks and 7 headers.
He has averaged 86 minutes per game.
He received 4 yellow cards (one for shirt-removal against Lincoln).
He was available to start every L1 game. Apart from one injury-related 78th minute substitution, he was available for every minute of every game he started.
When palms were getting sweaty in the closing stages of the season, he converted late-game ‘pressure’ penalties against Wigan, Rochdale and Lincoln.
Arguably, in 60 years AB (After Bly), no player has made a more significant single-season contribution.

That being said: do we keep or (try to) sell?

Possibly his transfer market value will never be higher. The contrary view suggests that his actual value in potentially securing a further Championship season would be greater. He wouldn’t emulate Toney’s achievement, but then he wouldn’t be playing for a third-place team.
Derby finished one place above the Championship relegation zone, and their top scorer had eight goals. Of the bottom nine clubs, only Bristol City had a top scorer in double figures.
If JC-H played a full Championship season, it wouldn’t be unreasonable to expect him to score four penalties and one free kick, and given the wide variety of the type of goals he scored this season, I’d be surprised if he couldn’t manage five goals from open play.
JC-H improved after leaving Bristol Rovers; he’s been playing in a better team. Apparently he was not match-fit at the start of the season (the reason for that is unclear). In the first six games, he scored twice (once from the penalty spot), so subsequently he scored 29 goals in 39 games.
The Championship awaits. He’s playing the best football of his career. He’ll be match fit from the start of the season. Probably the team around him will be strengthened. Why would he want to leave?
Money. Fame. Professional satisfaction. If, for example, one of the Glasgow clubs came waving a fat salary and the prospect of Champions League football (as Celtic did with Ivan Toney), why would JC-H refuse? Of course, the decision is out of his hands, as contractual obligations are in force.
AndoverPoshFan

Re: Jonson Clarke-Harris

Post by AndoverPoshFan »

With all that you have said above just think if Toney and JCH were in the same team. Omg.
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

AndoverPoshFan wrote: 11 May 2021, 21:32 With all that you have said above just think if Toney and JCH were in the same team. Omg.
Indeed. Don't forget, however, that for the first two-thirds of the truncated season, we had a striker who matched Toney goal for goal. His name is Mo Eisa.
HantsPosh

Post by HantsPosh »

JohnC wrote: 11 May 2021, 22:29
AndoverPoshFan wrote: 11 May 2021, 21:32 With all that you have said above just think if Toney and JCH were in the same team. Omg.
Indeed. Don't forget, however, that for the first two-thirds of the truncated season, we had a striker who matched Toney goal for goal. His name is Mo Eisa.
100% correct JohnC and I'll always maintain Eisa could have had a similar season as JC-H IF Fergie hadn't banished him to the bench AND if we had a Maddison type player to lay on the chances for him as the 2 of them worked very well together. and Eisa tailed off once Marcus left JC-H can create his own chances with his sheer physical presence where as Eisa is a finisher.
ashman

Post by ashman »

HantsPosh wrote: 13 May 2021, 11:37
JohnC wrote: 11 May 2021, 22:29
100% correct JohnC and I'll always maintain Eisa could have had a similar season as JC-H IF Fergie hadn't banished him to the bench AND if we had a Maddison type player to lay on the chances for him as the 2 of them worked very well together. and Eisa tailed off once Marcus left JC-H can create his own chances with his sheer physical presence where as Eisa is a finisher.
We are in very much a chicken and egg situation with JCH, Dembele and maybe Taylor too. Tough decisions concerning players, priorities for advancing the new stadium etc. are all in the hands of the Holy Trinity. I just hope that they (and the Council plus the Peterborough general public) make the right choices for the club, the players and the future of the Embankment. This could prove to be the most defining decisions in the clu's history.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'
Slabby

Post by Slabby »

I'm no canny millionaire businessman; just a posh fan. To me, there is no chicken and egg scenario involved as we go forward. As far as I'm concerned our Number 1 priority has GOT to be staying in the Championship, even if that means the bottom half for a few seasons.
I don't doubt for one minute that there are numerous knock-on benefits of a swanky new stadium, however that's not why I chose to support posh. Like I said in a previous post, its quality players that will score goals, entertain us and keep us in the Championship.......not shiny new seats.