Fergie

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

ashman

Re: Fergie

Post by ashman »

tonyp wrote: 09 May 2021, 08:16 I don't think we should aim for 4th from bottom.
I think we should aim for mid table at least.
Agreed. Whenever you aim for something, you can guarantee that you will never quite get it spot on. One or two either way and you could be in trouble. Mid table gives you that degree of miscalculation!
Anyway why shouldn't we be able to finish above a bunch of the following?
Huddersfield, Bristol City, Coventry, Luton, Millwall, Preston N. E, and probably even Nottingham Forest and Derby?
'Everybody needs to have a friend'
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

ashman wrote: 09 May 2021, 09:42
tonyp wrote: 09 May 2021, 08:16 I don't think we should aim for 4th from bottom.
Agreed. Whenever you aim for something, you can guarantee that you will never quite get it spot on. One or two either way and you could be in trouble. Mid table gives you that degree of miscalculation!
Huddersfield, Bristol City, Coventry, Luton, Millwall, Preston N. E, and probably even Nottingham Forest and Derby?
All depends on recruitment over the next couple of months....4th from bottom would suit me nicely and, I'd take it now if offered...it's a tough step up...ask Wycombe, Rovrum....
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

stumpy wrote: 11 May 2021, 21:22
All depends on recruitment over the next couple of months....4th from bottom would suit me nicely and, I'd take it now if offered...it's a tough step up...ask Wycombe, Rovrum....
Wycombe finished two points from safety. Rotherham were two minutes away. Admittedly, the Sheffield Wednesday points deduction helped both of them to clamber above the Owls.
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

JohnC wrote: 11 May 2021, 22:36
Wycombe finished two points from safety. Rotherham were two minutes away. Admittedly, the Sheffield Wednesday points deduction helped both of them to clamber above the Owls.
But, both coming straight back down.....
ashman

Post by ashman »

stumpy wrote: 12 May 2021, 04:54
JohnC wrote: 11 May 2021, 22:36

But, both coming straight back down.....
Wycombe 43 pts, Rotherham 42 pts. Sheffield Wednesday 41 pts. compare that to the 54 pts. Posh accumulated last time they were in the Championship!
Steamy Nin

Post by Steamy Nin »

Listening to Fergie post match on Sunday, he won’t hold back from playing the youngsters next season and I expect Edwards, Burrows & RJJ to be very much involved from the off. So we need a couple of good experienced players at Championship level (or above) to be playing alongside them. With Dembele, Szmodics, Ward, Kent, Taylor and a top level loanee (someone like Harry Wilson), this will be a good enough side to stay up.

If we achieve that objective, the experience these kids will get will enable us to kick on big time the following season and establish ourselves as a Championship team for seasons to come. It wasn’t that long ago that the likes of Reading, Swansea, Brentford and Bournemouth were grovelling around in the lower reaches of the league, we can match what they have done and more.
ashman

Post by ashman »

Steamy Nin

Post by Steamy Nin »

ashman wrote: 12 May 2021, 10:08 Interesting article about Fergie.

https://the72.co.uk/235024/son-of-legen ... se-season/
A good read and this article references the likes of Hull City, Sunderland, Portsmouth and Ipswich Town as "big hitters". Most of these clubs have had their day, along with the likes of Huddersfield, Bolton, Blackburn, Coventry, Stoke, Preston, Luton and others. Peterborough is a similar in terms of population to all of them (bigger than most) and Peterborough has the biggest catchment area in the country, with not another league club within a 35 mile radius. With exciting youngsters coming through, a new stadium due and Fergie at the helm, I see very exciting times ahead, that will allow us to draw in new fans and make Posh a far bigger club than any of those mentioned above.
ashman

Post by ashman »

Steamy Nin wrote: 12 May 2021, 10:41

A good read and this article references the likes of Hull City, Sunderland, Portsmouth and Ipswich Town as "big hitters". Most of these clubs have had their day, along with the likes of Huddersfield, Bolton, Blackburn, Coventry, Stoke, Preston, Luton and others. Peterborough is a similar in terms of population to all of them (bigger than most) and Peterborough has the biggest catchment area in the country, with not another league club within a 35 mile radius. With exciting youngsters coming through, a new stadium due and Fergie at the helm, I see very exciting times ahead, that will allow us to draw in new fans and make Posh a far bigger club than any of those mentioned above.
Wow, now that really is optimistic! :comeon:
Steamy Nin

Post by Steamy Nin »

ashman wrote: 12 May 2021, 11:27
Steamy Nin wrote: 12 May 2021, 10:41

Wow, now that really is optimistic! :comeon:
I can't see any reason why we can't achieve what Brighton have done. 10 years ago they were still at the Withdean stadium and in League one along with Posh. Then they moved to a brand new stadium and everything took off for them.
ashman

Post by ashman »

Steamy Nin wrote: 12 May 2021, 14:24 I can't see any reason why we can't achieve what Brighton have done. 10 years ago they were still at the Withdean stadium and in League one along with Posh. Then they moved to a brand new stadium and everything took off for them.
.... and to be fair to them it is probably the only 'out of town' stadium that has been a success!
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

Coventry when they played there, does anybody know where they are playing next season?
I don't judge people on race, religion, gender,
ability or size, I judge them on whether or not
they're a prat!
Brianposh

Post by Brianposh »

bristleposh wrote: 12 May 2021, 18:49 Coventry when they played there, does anybody know where they are playing next season?
A t.v.football prog.last week stated .....back to their original stadium, with a new name.
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.
HantsPosh

Post by HantsPosh »

ashman wrote: 12 May 2021, 17:15
Steamy Nin wrote: 12 May 2021, 14:24 I can't see any reason why we can't achieve what Brighton have done. 10 years ago they were still at the Withdean stadium and in League one along with Posh. Then they moved to a brand new stadium and everything took off for them.
.... and to be fair to them it is probably the only 'out of town' stadium that has been a success!
And Reading as well, 3 seasons in the Premier League since in opened in 1998.

I agree with steamin that the new modern stadium is vital to grow the club, revenue streams and fan base. Given that 2 stands in the stadium are fairly new and modern, can't we just develop the other 2 and stay put?
ashman

Post by ashman »

HantsPosh wrote: 13 May 2021, 11:42
ashman wrote: 12 May 2021, 17:15
And Reading as well, 3 seasons in the Premier League since in opened in 1998.

I agree with steamin that the new modern stadium is vital to grow the club, revenue streams and fan base. Given that 2 stands in the stadium are fairly new and modern, can't we just develop the other 2 and stay put?
You are obviously not up to date with developments. The cost of developing the rest of the current ground is prohibitive. In addition the main stand and London Road end is riddled with asbestos. The South Stand (Family Stand, Glebe whatever you call it) needs a tremendous amount of maintenance. There is no room for any parking and as for developing any further use of the place (concerts etc) it is very limited.