Fergie

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

stumpy

Fergie

Post by stumpy »

As everyone knows, I'm not Fergie's greatest fan but, I thought this interview was absolutely brilliant...he really needed this promotion and it shows...credit to him and his team for getting us over the line and, if he can keep us in the championship as we build a new ground, he will become a true legend. We now enter a league where we are a minnow and we need to emulate the Barnsley's and Millwall's of the league and stay there - a real test of the entire club but, doable.... :comeon:
Brianposh

Re: Fergie

Post by Brianposh »

What he needs are many things, but mainly.....utter and total support from the fans ALL Season, in particular when things go wrong.
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

Brianposh wrote: 04 May 2021, 15:10 What he needs are many things, but mainly.....utter and total support from the fans ALL Season, in particular when things go wrong.
Not sure any manager gets that Brian at any club.....
White G

Post by White G »

stumpy wrote: 04 May 2021, 14:39 As everyone knows, I'm not Fergie's greatest fan but, I thought this interview was absolutely brilliant...he really needed this promotion and it shows...credit to him and his team for getting us over the line and, if he can keep us in the championship as we build a new ground, he will become a true legend. We now enter a league where we are a minnow and we need to emulate the Barnsley's and Millwall's of the league and stay there - a real test of the entire club but, doable.... :comeon:
You're a bit more positive than me. Do we try to strengthen the squad, ploughing in millions in the hope that we stay up??? Or do we go with what we have (maybe a couple of new players) and enjoy the ride????

It's a big jump up in quality & finances, and a gamble to try to compete. I don't think we have the quality or leadership to stay up, but I think it's better to give it a go than risking our financial future by gambling.

We're not really a Championship club, I'll try to enjoy and if we stay up, it's a fantastic bonus!!
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

As it’s a thread about Fergie, I suppose I ought to say this, he is currently the second best Scottish manager plying his trade in England and Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland only have pub leagues so strictly speaking he is the second best Scottish manager in the United Kingdom. Some may argue that Steve Clarke the current Scotland manager is up there but when you consider they are on a par with Andorra, Gibraltar and San Marino I think most will agree DF is still second best.
There are two types of people in this world:
1. Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data
Slabby

Post by Slabby »

Like I said on another thread, Dmac, Randy and Jason have got to make the massive call of whether they want us permanently in the Championship or not. IMO it's players that are needed for us to stay up and not shiny new seats in a stadium we'll rarely fill.
White G

Post by White G »

Slabby wrote: 04 May 2021, 21:09 Like I said on another thread, Dmac, Randy and Jason have got to make the massive call of whether they want us permanently in the Championship or not. IMO it's players that are needed for us to stay up and not shiny new seats in a stadium we'll rarely fill.
Depends on your view for long term sustainability,l. The cost required to strengthen the squad enough to have a decent chance of survival will be £10m+. Is it worth the gamble or is infrastructure a better investment??? I don't know the right answer, it's a massive call as you say Slabby!
ashman

Post by ashman »

White G wrote: 04 May 2021, 21:55
Slabby wrote: 04 May 2021, 21:09 Like I said on another thread, Dmac, Randy and Jason have got to make the massive call of whether they want us permanently in the Championship or not. IMO it's players that are needed for us to stay up and not shiny new seats in a stadium we'll rarely fill.
Depends on your view for long term sustainability,l. The cost required to strengthen the squad enough to have a decent chance of survival will be £10m+. Is it worth the gamble or is infrastructure a better investment??? I don't know the right answer, it's a massive call as you say Slabby!
At this stage it has got to be money on players, as the chances of having a new stadium seem to be moving away from us at an alarming rate. :comeon:
'Everybody needs to have a friend'
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

ashman wrote: 05 May 2021, 06:16 At this stage it has got to be money on players, as the chances of having a new stadium seem to be moving away from us at an alarming rate. :comeon:
DMac's busy upping the value of JCH and Dembs.
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/foo ... y-20520777
Peterborough United co-owner Darragh MacAnthony admits he's not confident of keeping Jonson Clarke-Harris at the club this summer, but insists the club will not allow the striker to leave on the cheap.
MacAnthony admitted to Sky Sports that he's not confident the striker will be at London Road for the start of next season.
“Peterborough United can never pay players £25/30,000 a week, there will be seven or eight clubs already offering Jonson Clarke-Harris, Dembele, that kind of money.
Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller »

JCH I'm not so concerned about, but Dembele would be very difficult to replace. He really is a unique talent.
"We all should rise, above the clouds of ignorance, narrowness, and selfishness." -- Booker T. Washington
ashman

Post by ashman »

Gaz_Miller wrote: 05 May 2021, 10:11 JCH I'm not so concerned about, but Dembele would be very difficult to replace. He really is a unique talent.
Ideally we wouldn't want to lose either of them, although Dembele would pose more of a threat to Championship sides.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'
Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller »

ashman wrote: 05 May 2021, 13:37 Ideally we wouldn't want to lose either of them, although Dembele would pose more of a threat to Championship sides.
I just think we've had a 'Jack Marriott' season out of JCH. If we could get £5m+ for him I think we should cash in, spend half on a replacement & the other half on a top class midfielder.
"We all should rise, above the clouds of ignorance, narrowness, and selfishness." -- Booker T. Washington
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

Gaz_Miller wrote: 05 May 2021, 14:18
ashman wrote: 05 May 2021, 13:37 Ideally we wouldn't want to lose either of them, although Dembele would pose more of a threat to Championship sides.
I just think we've had a 'Jack Marriott' season out of JCH. If we could get £5m+ for him I think we should cash in, spend half on a replacement & the other half on a top class midfielder.
Agree 100% Gaz....having said that, we got £7 million for the promotion and more to come from "Bank Toney" - we need 3-4 players in my opinion to add to the squad to be competitive...next season, 4th from bottom would be fine and we may see a couple of clubs go into administration with a 9 point penalty....Dembele would triple his value in my opinion after one season in the championship
Sheriff Fatman

Post by Sheriff Fatman »

I agree 4th from bottom would be the aim next season. Suss out the league. If Dembele follows his heart and he goes to a bigger club, if it’s a championship club or above, good luck to him, but he’ll be benchwarming. We need a center half, midfielder and a fast striker. I believe we’ll do ok next season (I.e survive)
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

I don't think we should aim for 4th from bottom.
I think we should aim for mid table at least.