POSH v LINCOLN CITY

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

ashman

POSH v LINCOLN CITY

Post by ashman »

Peterborough United v Lincoln City SATURDAY May 1st. (15:00)

REFEREE: JOHN BUSBY

ASSISTANT REFEREES: Joe Clark and Andrew Dallison

Fourth Official: David Rock
'Everybody needs to have a friend'
Gaz_Miller

Re: POSH v LINCOLN CITY

Post by Gaz_Miller »

Sofa already in place with my seat behind it.
“Apology is not about saying I'm sorry, but it is about the meaning you put behind the apology and admitting that you are the wrong part.”
― Unarine Ramaru
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

This is a must win game for Lincoln. But it is only a must draw for Posh. Even if we lose we only need one point at Doncaster.
It will undoubtedly be a tough game but we'll come out winners by a narrow margin. Say 3-2.
Bristle will correctly predict the Lincoln score.
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

Lincoln have been awarded fourteen penalties this season, but conceded only four. We've had nine penalties, and conceded seven -- three in the last ten games. Kent has given away two of them, and was involved in the Rochdale penalty. I thought he was lucky to avoid a straight red against Doncaster. (I also thought Butler was lucky to avoid a red against Sunderland, and Beevers could also have gone after conceding the penalty against the Cobblers.)

Like us, Lincoln have only received one red card this season; their opponents have seen red six times, while ours have only had one.
It would be wholly unsurprising if Saturday's game featured flashpoints where cool heads are required: a red card would be damaging on the day itself, but would also have repercussions for the Keepmoat game. The players need to remember that we no longer have any must-win games, while must-win games are all that await Lincoln.

After a recent Gillingham-Lincoln match:
'Gillingham boss Steve Evans reckons his players could learn a thing or two from Lincoln City captain Liam Bridcutt.
The City skipper - who was Evans’ first signing when he was manager at Leeds United - was in the referee’s ear most of the night when the Gills played the title-chasers on Friday.
Evans had no complaints about the antics of the 31-year-old who he labelled the ‘quiet assassin’ before the match and then watched as he controlled the game from the centre of the park.
The Gills boss said: “I told the boys that Liam Bridcutt would be the quiet assassin, he would marshal around the referee all night, he would never be more than six yards away from the referee, when the big decisions come you would be surprised how many he gets. He has always been like that and I have no complaints.
“He goes about his business in a real quiet way but I found he was very infectious getting around the referee.
He would be saying, ‘that’s a penalty’, ‘that’s a foul’, ‘that’s a free-kick’, ‘that’s our way’, but it is human nature. He controls it and it is a real learning curve for us about how we have to try and manage the match referee. It is a learning curve for all of us, a learning curve for our young captain.'
Gillingham boss Steve Evans says he’s received an indirect apology from referee Samuel Barrott after awarding opponents Lincoln City a controversial penalty.
“It is not the fact Lincoln have had double the amount of penalties versus any other team in the top six, it is when you look back at them individually. That makes you instruct your players to be extra careful, that should never have to be said."
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

I'm not sure that any of the Lincoln players would make out first XI....we need to step up and get the job done....
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

JohnC wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 13:21 Lincoln have been awarded fourteen penalties this season, but conceded only four. We've had nine penalties, and conceded seven -- three in the last ten games. Kent has given away two of them, and was involved in the Rochdale penalty. I thought he was lucky to avoid a straight red against Doncaster. (I also thought Butler was lucky to avoid a red against Sunderland, and Beevers could also have gone after conceding the penalty against the Cobblers.)

Lincoln have only received one red card this season compared to our two; their opponents have seen red six times, while ours have only had one.
It would be wholly unsurprising if Saturday's game featured flashpoints where cool heads are required: a red card would be damaging on the day itself, but would also have repercussions for the Keepmoat game. The players need to remember that we no longer have any must-win games, while must-win games are all that await Lincoln.

After a recent Gillingham-Lincoln match:
'Gillingham boss Steve Evans reckons his players could learn a thing or two from Lincoln City captain Liam Bridcutt.
The City skipper - who was Evans’ first signing when he was manager at Leeds United - was in the referee’s ear most of the night when the Gills played the title-chasers on Friday.
Evans had no complaints about the antics of the 31-year-old who he labelled the ‘quiet assassin’ before the match and then watched as he controlled the game from the centre of the park.
The Gills boss said: “I told the boys that Liam Bridcutt would be the quiet assassin, he would marshal around the referee all night, he would never be more than six yards away from the referee, when the big decisions come you would be surprised how many he gets. He has always been like that and I have no complaints.
“He goes about his business in a real quiet way but I found he was very infectious getting around the referee.
He would be saying, ‘that’s a penalty’, ‘that’s a foul’, ‘that’s a free-kick’, ‘that’s our way’, but it is human nature. He controls it and it is a real learning curve for us about how we have to try and manage the match referee. It is a learning curve for all of us, a learning curve for our young captain.'
Gillingham boss Steve Evans says he’s received an indirect apology from referee Samuel Barrott after awarding opponents Lincoln City a controversial penalty.
“It is not the fact Lincoln have had double the amount of penalties versus any other team in the top six, it is when you look back at them individually. That makes you instruct your players to be extra careful, that should never have to be said."
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

stumpy wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 15:15 I'm not sure that any of the Lincoln players would make out first XI....we need to step up and get the job done....
Much as I dislike his game, I wish Bridcutt were on our side on Saturday. Lewis Montsma is a bit Baldwinesque as a defender, but he has nine goals this season, six in L1: that's more than Taylor and Ward and Brown, and more than all of our defenders put together.

I fear Bridcutt is hatching some nameless depredation for Saturday. He was a constant irritant in our first game in January.

Lincoln have only conceded two goals (one a penalty) in their last five games, during which span they have three 1-0 victories as well as a 4-0 win. Four clean sheets.
If a betting man were to risk a few quid on a nightmare scenario, then a 1-0 Lincoln victory, with a penalty scored by Grant and Peterborough having a player sent off for a retaliatory foul on Bridcutt wouldn't be venturing too far out on a limb.

After our victory over the Cobblers, I posted:
'I think Michael Appleton's achievement this season has been remarkable. The Imps have been ravaged by injuries this season yet could move ahead of Sunderland. They won at Bristol yesterday without five senior starters -- Walsh, Jackson, Bridcutt, Grant and Hopper. Appleton would get my vote for manager of the season.'

The only amendment I might make to that would be to replace 'Sunderland' with 'Peterborough'. They're already ahead of Sunderland.
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

I think you'll find we've had more than one red card, I thought it was this season that Thompson got his red against Lincoln and it was certainly this season Hamilton got his.
I don't judge people on race, religion, gender,
ability or size, I judge them on whether or not
they're a prat!
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

bristleposh wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 22:48 I think you'll find we've had more than one red card, I thought it was this season that Thompson got his red against Lincoln and it was certainly this season Hamilton got his.
Correct. I have already amended this in my second post.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Peterborough telegraph reports-
https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/new ... ht-3217513
Police presence at Peterborough United’s ground on Saturday after 200 people gathered outside pitch during the Doncaster game.
It is believed a crowd of up to about 200 people gathered and a small number of them acted anti-socially with fireworks and flares being let off towards the ground.
So, if you're thinking of going along to celebrate our automatic promotion with a few fireworks, it might be a good idea to think again.
ashman

Post by ashman »

tonyp wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 23:02 Peterborough telegraph reports-
https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/new ... ht-3217513
Police presence at Peterborough United’s ground on Saturday after 200 people gathered outside pitch during the Doncaster game.
It is believed a crowd of up to about 200 people gathered and a small number of them acted anti-socially with fireworks and flares being let off towards the ground.
So, if you're thinking of going along to celebrate our automatic promotion with a few fireworks, it might be a good idea to think again.
Idiots, the lot of them. I don't think it really hampered the Posh performance but it certainly seemed to gee up the opposition efforts. However Darren said he felt that the fireworks were unhelpful to his team and Andy Butler said that he didn't want to let Peterborough celebrate in front of them. Posh officials suggested the match was close to being called off after fireworks landed on the playing surface.
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

We appear to now have a plan A four at the back and if it's not working a Plan B which is three at the back, Judging on recent games especially against Gillingham and again against Doncaster, perhaps we need a plan C. If anybody from the club actually bothers to listen to what the fabs say I think in just about every game our midfield seems to get overrun. A simple way to adjust this would be to put an extra body in midfield and leave Dembele on the bench who in recent months has been less than helpful to the cause, either playing Burrows in the number eleven role or bringing in a three-man midfield of Taylor, Hamilton and Reed might be the answer. I have ducked down behind the settee in order to avoid the flak that will obviously be headed my way.
I don't judge people on race, religion, gender,
ability or size, I judge them on whether or not
they're a prat!
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

I imagine that, if fit, Brown will start; his ball-retention disposition is suited to this non-must win situation.
In my half term report, I suggested that 'Thompson might find some productive playing time in midfield'. it's probably late in the season for this to happen, but I feel that good things happen when Thompson gets into the opposition penalty area. He has two goals; his run and pass for Dembele to score against Sunderland were masterful, and he's earned two penalties -- one the vital intervention at Rochdale. It would be particularly satisfying for us to beat Lincoln with a penalty earned by Thompson getting brought down by Bridcutt.
Wilco

Post by Wilco »

bristleposh wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 08:18 We appear to now have a plan A four at the back and if it's not working a Plan B which is three at the back, Judging on recent games especially against Gillingham and again against Doncaster, perhaps we need a plan C. If anybody from the club actually bothers to listen to what the fabs say I think in just about every game our midfield seems to get overrun. A simple way to adjust this would be to put an extra body in midfield and leave Dembele on the bench who in recent months has been less than helpful to the cause, either playing Burrows in the number eleven role or bringing in a three-man midfield of Taylor, Hamilton and Reed might be the answer. I have ducked down behind the settee in order to avoid the flak that will obviously be headed my way.
Who are the fabs? If it’s Gaz and Stumpy, we don’t want Fergie listening to them.
I think we should start with Plan B and move to Plan A if not going well. Agree that Burrows should start instead of Dembs (or Sammie) and if fit, Brown should be back in for Reed.
ashman

Post by ashman »

Wilco wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 13:09
bristleposh wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 08:18 We appear to now have a plan A four at the back and if it's not working a Plan B which is three at the back, Judging on recent games especially against Gillingham and again against Doncaster, perhaps we need a plan C. If anybody from the club actually bothers to listen to what the fabs say I think in just about every game our midfield seems to get overrun. A simple way to adjust this would be to put an extra body in midfield and leave Dembele on the bench who in recent months has been less than helpful to the cause, either playing Burrows in the number eleven role or bringing in a three-man midfield of Taylor, Hamilton and Reed might be the answer. I have ducked down behind the settee in order to avoid the flak that will obviously be headed my way.
Who are the fabs? If it’s Gaz and Stumpy, we don’t want Fergie listening to them.
I think we should start with Plan B and move to Plan A if not going well. Agree that Burrows should start instead of Dembs (or Sammie) and if fit, Brown should be back in for Reed.
There is a load of pedantry on here today! You know that he meant 'fans' :shock: