POSH v GILLINGHAM

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

Gaz_Miller
Posts: 1257
Joined: 19 Mar 2019, 11:56

Re: POSH v GILLINGHAM

Post by Gaz_Miller »

Wilco wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 22:02
stumpy wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 21:55 Steve Evans a pretty good manager isn't he.....
He’s fantastic, I just loved the free flowing attacking football from Gillingham tonight. It’s a real shame he’s no longer our manager, we’d be champions by now if he was still here.
Did you enjoy our free flowing attacking football?

Understand what you’re watching. Gillingham have the smallest budget in league one, yet they are on the brink of the playoffs. What were they supposed to do tonight, turn up and leave masses of empty spaces for our £6m forward line to shoot for fun?

Get real. Evans did his job & completely out thought twice sacked. Yes, his off field antics are pathetic, but he’s a very very good lower league manager who doesn’t need money to succeed
“Apology is not about saying I'm sorry, but it is about the meaning you put behind the apology and admitting that you are the wrong part.”
― Unarine Ramaru
Gaz_Miller
Posts: 1257
Joined: 19 Mar 2019, 11:56

Re: POSH v GILLINGHAM

Post by Gaz_Miller »

bristleposh wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 22:19 They’ve played twice this season, one win each. I just don’t think we’re as good as the league table suggests we are. Eleven defeats beaten by Chorley in the FA Cup, how many times have we put in championship elect performances. We have been outplayed by some very poor sides.
I 100% agree with this. If we do go up I think it would easily be the worst promotion team I’ve ever seen at Posh.

I just really hope we don’t blow it because I really fear the consequences
“Apology is not about saying I'm sorry, but it is about the meaning you put behind the apology and admitting that you are the wrong part.”
― Unarine Ramaru
HantsPosh
Posts: 772
Joined: 03 Nov 2011, 20:44

Re: POSH v GILLINGHAM

Post by HantsPosh »

Gaz_Miller wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 22:20
Wilco wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 22:02
stumpy wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 21:55 Steve Evans a pretty good manager isn't he.....
He’s fantastic, I just loved the free flowing attacking football from Gillingham tonight. It’s a real shame he’s no longer our manager, we’d be champions by now if he was still here.
Did you enjoy our free flowing attacking football?

Understand what you’re watching. Gillingham have the smallest budget in league one, yet they are on the brink of the playoffs. What were they supposed to do tonight, turn up and leave masses of empty spaces for our £6m forward line to shoot for fun?

Get real. Evans did his job & completely out thought twice sacked. Yes, his off field antics are pathetic, but he’s a very very good lower league manager who doesn’t need money to succeed
Gillingham have a smaller budget than Accrington, Burton, Rochdale, Crewe, Shrewsbury, Wobblers?
Gaz_Miller
Posts: 1257
Joined: 19 Mar 2019, 11:56

Re: POSH v GILLINGHAM

Post by Gaz_Miller »

HantsPosh wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 08:27 Gillingham have a smaller budget than Accrington, Burton, Rochdale, Crewe, Shrewsbury, Wobblers?
It was documented before we played Gillingham away that they have the smallest budget in League One this season. It's why they started the season as favourites for relegation.
“Apology is not about saying I'm sorry, but it is about the meaning you put behind the apology and admitting that you are the wrong part.”
― Unarine Ramaru
HantsPosh
Posts: 772
Joined: 03 Nov 2011, 20:44

Re: POSH v GILLINGHAM

Post by HantsPosh »

1-0 down at home with 5 subs available and he only makes 2 bringing on Hamilton & Burrows and leaves Eisa on the bench!
Gaz_Miller
Posts: 1257
Joined: 19 Mar 2019, 11:56

Re: POSH v GILLINGHAM

Post by Gaz_Miller »

HantsPosh wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 08:35 1-0 down at home with 5 subs available and he only makes 2 bringing on Hamilton & Burrows and leaves Eisa on the bench!
I also found that unbelievable. The game was crying out for something different up front & we had £1.5m striker Eisa & reported £1m+ Jones available on the bench.

Mind you, Eisa hasn't featured since he walked straight down the tunnel at Swindon. Stubborness or good management?
“Apology is not about saying I'm sorry, but it is about the meaning you put behind the apology and admitting that you are the wrong part.”
― Unarine Ramaru
Gaz_Miller
Posts: 1257
Joined: 19 Mar 2019, 11:56

Re: POSH v GILLINGHAM

Post by Gaz_Miller »

“Apology is not about saying I'm sorry, but it is about the meaning you put behind the apology and admitting that you are the wrong part.”
― Unarine Ramaru
stumpy
Posts: 472
Joined: 01 Feb 2020, 15:52

Re: POSH v GILLINGHAM

Post by stumpy »

Wilco wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 22:18
stumpy wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 22:06
Wilco wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 22:02

He’s fantastic, I just loved the free flowing attacking football from Gillingham tonight. It’s a real shame he’s no longer our manager, we’d be champions by now if he was still here.
I'd love to see what our bloke would do with 10 pence and a bunch of journeymen...........
Steve Evans was given backing at Posh and the players he bought played the same turgid hoof ball we witnessed tonight. Fair play, they did a job on us and won 3 points with one shot on goal so you can’t knock him, and if your fans are happy to watch that type of football every week, then there’s no argument.
Let's be honest, it aint been that exciting watching Posh. Indeed, if it were not for the sale of Toney that allowed us to spend on Szmodics and JCH and the play of Dembele in spurts, we are a bit "pass it along the back, pass it back the other way, have Beevers or Kent hoof it up"......If you supported Gillingham and were told you had a chance of making the play offs with a few games to go, you would not believe it...if you support Posh and you were told we will win the league at a canter, you would believe it....we will go up I think but we've not been as convincing as we should have been
User avatar
PoshCynic
Posts: 1632
Joined: 07 May 2005, 14:20
Location: Peterborough

Re: POSH v GILLINGHAM

Post by PoshCynic »

HantsPosh wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 08:35 1-0 down at home with 5 subs available and he only makes 2 bringing on Hamilton & Burrows and leaves Eisa on the bench!
He is successful at Posh only due to the financial support provided by Mr MacAnthony, enabling him to bring in expensive (by League 1 standards) players who cover up his tactical deficiencies.

In my opinion if Posh are promoted, he will be outthought by almost every other Championship manager.
User avatar
ashman
Posts: 19250
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: POSH v GILLINGHAM

Post by ashman »

PoshCynic wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 19:48
HantsPosh wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 08:35 1-0 down at home with 5 subs available and he only makes 2 bringing on Hamilton & Burrows and leaves Eisa on the bench!
He is successful at Posh only due to the financial support provided by Mr MacAnthony, enabling him to bring in expensive (by League 1 standards) players who cover up his tactical deficiencies.

In my opinion if Posh are promoted, he will be outthought by almost every other Championship manager.
No, he will probably be outfought by teams that have been supported by just the same way in which you accuse him of being in this league - not outthought but surpassed by teams with more financial clout than we have. It really is up to the Holy Trinity to somehow provide the financial resources that will enable Posh to become a Championship regular. It isn't going to be easy and it will have to be done in small steps year by year - that is if we manage to hang onto the position we are now in in League Three and promotion. Exciting times ahead for all Posh supporters, whether they are of the optimistic or pessimistic variety!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'
User avatar
tonyp
Posts: 21189
Joined: 25 Jun 2005, 14:22
Location: Tanah Merah, Queensland

Re: POSH v GILLINGHAM

Post by tonyp »

ashman wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 21:23 Exciting times ahead for all Posh supporters, whether they are of the optimistic or pessimistic variety!
Agreed. And nail-biting.
User avatar
White G
Posts: 2213
Joined: 04 May 2013, 22:23
Location: Globogym

Re: POSH v GILLINGHAM

Post by White G »

Gaz_Miller wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 22:22
bristleposh wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 22:19 They’ve played twice this season, one win each. I just don’t think we’re as good as the league table suggests we are. Eleven defeats beaten by Chorley in the FA Cup, how many times have we put in championship elect performances. We have been outplayed by some very poor sides.
I 100% agree with this. If we do go up I think it would easily be the worst promotion team I’ve ever seen at Posh.

I just really hope we don’t blow it because I really fear the consequences
I made a couple of comments on the poor standard this season but was shot down by a couple of clique members. Glad you see it too.
User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 30773
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: LDub

Re: POSH v GILLINGHAM

Post by bristleposh »

White G wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 23:24
Gaz_Miller wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 22:22
bristleposh wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 22:19 They’ve played twice this season, one win each. I just don’t think we’re as good as the league table suggests we are. Eleven defeats beaten by Chorley in the FA Cup, how many times have we put in championship elect performances. We have been outplayed by some very poor sides.
I 100% agree with this. If we do go up I think it would easily be the worst promotion team I’ve ever seen at Posh.

I just really hope we don’t blow it because I really fear the consequences
I made a couple of comments on the poor standard this season but was shot down by a couple of clique members. Glad you see it too.
Perhaps you are shot down in flames because you are always negative. Try being balanced, obviously some on here wear blue tinted glasses, as do I before the start of each season, but you seem to pull on yellow and black striped (tinted) glasses, it would be interesting to know your user name on The Scum website where you obviously feel more at home.
I don't judge people on race, religion, gender,
ability or size, I judge them on whether or not
they're a prat!
HantsPosh
Posts: 772
Joined: 03 Nov 2011, 20:44

Re: POSH v GILLINGHAM

Post by HantsPosh »

Do we want to build a team or a stadium, I'm not sure a club with a small fan base like ours can do both in the days of FFP restrictions. For me, it would be Stadium then team
User avatar
ashman
Posts: 19250
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: POSH v GILLINGHAM

Post by ashman »

HantsPosh wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 09:46 Do we want to build a team or a stadium, I'm not sure a club with a small fan base like ours can do both in the days of FFP restrictions. For me, it would be Stadium then team
Are you paying? :D
I agree, it's a chicken and egg problem - i just hope we get it right! :comeon:
'Everybody needs to have a friend'
Post Reply