Posh v Northampton

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

stumpy

Re: Posh v Northampton

Post by stumpy »

Wilco wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 21:53 No need to worry, we always beat Cobblers.
Their penalty was an annoying set back but they never looked like scoring and always seemed like class would show in the end.
5 more wins and we’re champs I reckon. All the angst after Rochdale and Blackpool now seems a distant memory....Fergie Out ? :lol:
Fergie is the best
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

We have the best record in the division over the past five games: thirteen points, fifteen goals scored, two conceded (both from dead ball situations).

I've started to lose patience with Brown's passive/non-aggressive approach to games, and I hope that Hamilton will start in his place against Gillingham. After Hamilton's first yellow card, Reed can replace him; presumably he would relish the chance to impress Evans if he will be looking for a new club next season. I fear Evans' stormtroopers would kick sand in Brown's face all night long otherwise.
ashman

Post by ashman »

JohnC wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 07:45 We have the best record in the division over the past five games: thirteen points, fifteen goals scored, two conceded (both from dead ball situations).

I've started to lose patience with Brown's passive/non-aggressive approach to games, and I hope that Hamilton will start in his place against Gillingham. After Hamilton's first yellow card, Reed can replace him; presumably he would relish the chance to impress Evans if he will be looking for a new club next season. I fear Evans' stormtroopers would kick sand in Brown's face all night long otherwise.
Very critical about Brown. If you watch carefully he is always the one to pick up the ball in midfield and calm things down. He plays ala Micah Hyde, playing the simple ball but rarely losing it. Yes, his passes are hardly groundbreaking but he complements the raw talent of Taylor perfectly. We have enough carefree players as it is. You need players like Reece Brown to balance the team. Reed and Hamilton are of the same mould as Taylor. Brown is the perfect foil to them all.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

stumpy wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 23:03 Fergie is the best
Of that there is no manner of doubt —
No probable, possible shadow of doubt —
No possible doubt whatever.
(Borrowed from Gilbert and Sullivan's "The Gondoliers")
DaveLister
Second Technician

Post by DaveLister »

Steamy Nin wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 22:40
DaveLister wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 21:43 3-1, job done.

Now to support Fleetwood for the day tomorrow
Very positive, good for you, I'm going to support Blackpool tomorrow, but hoping for a Fylde coast double.
To be fair, Sunderland need to win every game and hope that we lose three to catch us. They've also got to play Blackpool twice and Hull. If they beat Hull they're actually doing us a favour :D
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

We definitely need Sunderland to lose at Blackpool. If they get three points they will be dangerously close to us in the table.
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

I enjoyed that aside from the penalty, they never looked like scoring. Some people elsewhere suggesting that Beevers should have been sent off, no, he wasn’t the last defender and Bursic would have cleared it anyway, the only thing he could have been sent off was being stupid, oh yea perhaps he should have been sent off then. It would certainly have done us a favour providing the manager didn’t sub one of the three front players off for Mason.
I don't judge people on race, religion, gender,
ability or size, I judge them on whether or not
they're a prat!
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

ashman wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 08:42
JohnC wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 07:45 We have the best record in the division over the past five games: thirteen points, fifteen goals scored, two conceded (both from dead ball situations).

Very critical about Brown. If you watch carefully he is always the one to pick up the ball in midfield and calm things down. He plays ala Micah Hyde, playing the simple ball but rarely losing it. Yes, his passes are hardly groundbreaking but he complements the raw talent of Taylor perfectly. We have enough carefree players as it is. You need players like Reece Brown to balance the team. Reed and Hamilton are of the same mould as Taylor. Brown is the perfect foil to them all.
From the PET

You could hear Posh boss Darren Ferguson yelling ‘tempo’, ‘forwards’ and ‘two touches’ regularly last night. Midfielder Reece Brown in particular didn’t always heed his manager’s instructions. Brown worked hard enough, but he wasn’t at his sharpest on the ball. It wouldn’t be the greatest suprise(sic) if Ferguson went with Ethan Hamilton’s physicality when faced with Gillingham’s power on Tuesday (April 20).
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

bristleposh wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 10:08 I enjoyed that aside from the penalty, they never looked like scoring. Some people elsewhere suggesting that Beevers should have been sent off, no, he wasn’t the last defender and Bursic would have cleared it anyway, the only thing he could have been sent off was being stupid, oh yea perhaps he should have been sent off then. It would certainly have done us a favour providing the manager didn’t sub one of the three front players off for Mason.
From the PET
Brady was unhappy Posh skipper Mark Beevers wasn’t sent off after conceding a penalty last night. It was a foul, Beevers was the last man and he made no attempt to play the ball as he impeded Alex Jones. But crucially, was it a clear and obvious goalscoring opportunity? Referee Lee Swabey, who enjoyed a decent game, thought not as the ball was as close to Posh ‘keeper Josef Bursik as it was Jones so Beevers was given the benefit of the doubt. It could have gone a different way on another night and Beevers could also have been sitting out the home game with Gillingham on Tuesday with no obvious replacement in the squad.
Steamy Nin

Post by Steamy Nin »

I think Beevers is great when he is defending and attacking the ball, but when he has the ball I get anxious flashbacks to Captain Jack and yes he was a lucky last night to stay on the field, which would have also meant him missing the Gillingham game.
Wilco

Post by Wilco »

ashman wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 08:42

Have to disagree. I like Reece Brown he’s a decent lower league player but if we go up, I think we need someone better.
I don’t see the similarity with Micah Hyde, he was class and controlled games, Brown is peripheral in many games and does give the ball away, often in dangerous situations.
Reed and Hamilton are also ok but in my humble opinion, not good enough for the championship.
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

tonyp wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 08:44
stumpy wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 23:03 Fergie is the best
Of that there is no manner of doubt —
No probable, possible shadow of doubt —
No possible doubt whatever.
(Borrowed from Gilbert and Sullivan's "The Gondoliers")
I think Michael Appleton's achievement this season at Lincoln has been remarkable. The Imps have been ravaged by injuries this season, yet could move ahead of Sunderland. They won at Bristol yesterday without five senior starters -- Walsh, Jackson, Bridcutt, Grant and Hopper. Appleton would get my vote for manager of the season.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

IF we end the season as champions of League 1, I would expect most Posh fans would declare Fergie as League 1 manager of the year. IF we only make the play-offs and lose, I would expect a new thread to appear entitled "Fergie Out".