Tackling a Problem

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

JohnC

Tackling a Problem

Post by JohnC »

Thompson’s uncontrolled lunge at Lincoln led to a red card and a penalty, which, fortunately for us, was missed.
Poor tackling led to Hamilton’s red card against Hull.
Poor tackling led to damaging penalties against Hull and Rochdale.
Poor tackling led to us having Reed and Butler on yellow cards after 38 minutes against Sunderland. (I thought Butler was lucky to avoid a straight red card for his tackle.)
Poor tackling led to McGeady’s equaliser for Sunderland.
What’s predictable (on the Sunderland pre-match thread I posted ‘’…it’s important to avoid reckless tackles leading to bookings – especially in the early stages….) isn’t always avoidable: mistakes are part of the game; tackles can't always be well-executed.
Let’s consider the Gillingham game. Any free kick they win in our half is of course going to be lofted into the penalty area for Oliver. Steve Evans will be well aware of Pym’s recent fallibility in the air. We need to avoid giving away the kind of dead-ball opportunities we afforded Portsmouth (Lucky for us that their top scorer Marquis was not playing.). When we play Lincoln, we need to remember that they’ve made a living from penalties this season.
A draw with Hull and a win over Sunderland would have seen the top of the table now read:
Posh 76
Hull 74
Sunderland 70
ashman

Re: Tackling a Problem

Post by ashman »

Take his tackling away from Thomson and you end up with a player with half the effectiveness to his team. For me he has been the stand out player of the season. Yellow cards for Reed and Butler are almost the norm and have to be accepted as the face of the modern game. Taylor however must realise that his wonderful tackles on the turn need to be restricted to the middle of the park, NOT just outside the penalty area. He is a a young brilliant player, experience-wise, and he will soon learn when he can perform these great tackles. If he gets penalised in the opposition part of the pitch or even just inside our half then that is ok and if these attempts are successful they can be extremely productive. He should not be discouraged from trying this, but must realise where he is doing it!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'
JohnC

Re: Tackling a Problem

Post by JohnC »

Reed has one yellow card in fourteen L1 appearances this season, so I don't regard his yellow against Sunderland as 'the norm'; it was his first yellow of the campaign. Last season, he had one yellow and one red (2 x Y) in 24 L1 appearances, and his dismissal came in the 90th minute of a game in which he'd scored in the 82nd minute to break a goalless deadlock. He hasn't been a disciplinary liability for us in the last two seasons. Butler is much more of a high-risk proposition.
To the best of my recollection, both of Hamilton's yellow cards against Hull came after tackles made in the opposition half of the pitch.
Hull's equaliser in that game (should Pym have saved it?) came from a free kick in our half conceded by Beevers.
We've conceded penalties against Sunderland, Hull, Lincoln and Charlton this season.
Mistakes can't be avoided; fouls will be committed. It just seems that in a few important games, we have made it easier than it should have been for the opposition.