Christy Pym

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

stumpy
Posts: 409
Joined: 01 Feb 2020, 15:52

Re: POSH v SUNDERLAND

Post by stumpy »

I'm sure Pym gets shorter as the season goes on
User avatar
ashman
Posts: 19066
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: POSH v SUNDERLAND

Post by ashman »

stumpy wrote: 05 Apr 2021, 16:41 I'm sure Pym gets shorter as the season goes on
The lad was holding his side well before the free kick and was restricted in his movement. It was a good free kick but why when we build a wall do we put the tallest player at the end of the line? Beevers would have just about got to that. JCH was very close but was just a couple of inches too short.
Poor decision by Taylor to try to turn his man just outside the penalty area. He has done this before too. It's ok and very effective in the middle of the park and shows the class of a great emerging player for Posh. However he is still young and will learn where and when he can try these sort of tackles.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'
User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 30581
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: LDub

Re: POSH v SUNDERLAND

Post by bristleposh »

Getting back to Pym, having watched every game this season either on iFollow, YouTube or like yesterday on Sky, I think he’s well in credit with the number of goals he has stopped. Yesterday on Sky nothing was mentioned until after the goal but apparently given the comments on Dotnet the iFollow commentary mentioned the fact that he looked to be injured before the goal. If that were the fact, then he should be blamed for not getting the necessary care from the physio.
I don't judge people on race, religion, gender,
ability or size, I judge them on whether or not
they're a prat!
stumpy
Posts: 409
Joined: 01 Feb 2020, 15:52

Re: POSH v SUNDERLAND

Post by stumpy »

bristleposh wrote: 06 Apr 2021, 11:18 Getting back to Pym, having watched every game this season either on iFollow, YouTube or like yesterday on Sky, I think he’s well in credit with the number of goals he has stopped. Yesterday on Sky nothing was mentioned until after the goal but apparently given the comments on Dotnet the iFollow commentary mentioned the fact that he looked to be injured before the goal. If that were the fact, then he should be blamed for not getting the necessary care from the physio.
On balance, I think Pym has had a good season but, he has been suspect recently and I think the entire viewing public could see he was positioned poorly for the free kick - the fact he was in pain should have encouraged him to be more central...oh well, as mentioned, I think he's been solid on the whole
Steamy Nin
Posts: 142
Joined: 25 Mar 2017, 17:11

Re: POSH v SUNDERLAND

Post by Steamy Nin »

stumpy wrote: 06 Apr 2021, 17:39
bristleposh wrote: 06 Apr 2021, 11:18 Getting back to Pym, having watched every game this season either on iFollow, YouTube or like yesterday on Sky, I think he’s well in credit with the number of goals he has stopped. Yesterday on Sky nothing was mentioned until after the goal but apparently given the comments on Dotnet the iFollow commentary mentioned the fact that he looked to be injured before the goal. If that were the fact, then he should be blamed for not getting the necessary care from the physio.
On balance, I think Pym has had a good season but, he has been suspect recently and I think the entire viewing public could see he was positioned poorly for the free kick - the fact he was in pain should have encouraged him to be more central...oh well, as mentioned, I think he's been solid on the whole
He needs to line up as if he is the end man of the wall, not leave a gap, but on the whole he has had a good season, so can't complain.
User avatar
ashman
Posts: 19066
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Christy Pym

Post by ashman »

He has, IMO had an excellent season. He has saved us many times and the points tally is well in his favour.

Concentration/awareness - he has many clean sheets which shows fantastic concentration of the game ahead of him.
Quick reflexes - undeniably one of his top strengths
Handling/shot stopping - rarely spills the ball and has learnt to push balls away from danger
Confidence/Strength of Character - listen to him, good talker and he doesn't seem too cocky
Diving - has little trouble getting down to shots and gets his body well behind the ball
Coming off the line/high balls - good, knows when to advance
Distribution - superb, always ready to assess the options and rarely gets it wrong
Talking - difficult to assess but from behind the goal he can occasionally be heard
Kicking - superb, one of the best, rarely hits the side lines
Command of area, leg speed, decision making and hand-eye coordination - our best for years
Covering Angles - good decision making
Positioning - generally good, I'm sure that Tyles works on this with him
Leadership - good, you can see this from the way the defence has confidence in him
'Everybody needs to have a friend'
Gaz_Miller
Posts: 1155
Joined: 19 Mar 2019, 11:56

Re: Christy Pym

Post by Gaz_Miller »

Although I agree with 95% of the above, you missed a very key 'attribute' ashman...

Saving shots high into the net - this has become more & more of a problem in recent games. Whether teams have begun to target this area, or they are just getting lucky, I don't know. However, if I watched Pym reguarly, I would tell my players to shoot high against him. His height is his obvious downfall.

Key question: If we went up, would you still want him as number one choice?
“Apology is not about saying I'm sorry, but it is about the meaning you put behind the apology and admitting that you are the wrong part.”
― Unarine Ramaru
User avatar
ashman
Posts: 19066
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: Christy Pym

Post by ashman »

Gaz_Miller wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 08:26 Although I agree with 95% of the above, you missed a very key 'attribute' ashman...

Saving shots high into the net - this has become more & more of a problem in recent games. Whether teams have begun to target this area, or they are just getting lucky, I don't know. However, if I watched Pym reguarly, I would tell my players to shoot high against him. His height is his obvious downfall.

Key question: If we went up, would you still want him as number one choice?
A good point but I reckon that you are only seizing on this last goal we conceded, and that was only after the lad had an injury to his side/back.
Christy Pym is the best goalkeeper that we have had for ages. I really cannot think of another comparable one in my living memory. I think I would be quite happy to see Pym in front of the sticks if we are promoted.
Would you want him in goal in the Championship and, if not, who would you think would be a good enough player to replace him and how much would that cost the club?
'Everybody needs to have a friend'
User avatar
tonyp
Posts: 21072
Joined: 25 Jun 2005, 14:22
Location: Tanah Merah, Queensland

Re: Christy Pym

Post by tonyp »

ashman wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 09:30 Christy Pym is the best goalkeeper that we have had for ages. I really cannot think of another comparable one in my living memory.
Don't let DMac hear you say that or he will be transfer listed for several million after we get promoted.
By the way, I think that George Swindin was pretty good. Not to mention David Seaman.
Gaz_Miller
Posts: 1155
Joined: 19 Mar 2019, 11:56

Re: Christy Pym

Post by Gaz_Miller »

ashman wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 09:30 A good point but I reckon that you are only seizing on this last goal we conceded, and that was only after the lad had an injury to his side/back.
Christy Pym is the best goalkeeper that we have had for ages. I really cannot think of another comparable one in my living memory. I think I would be quite happy to see Pym in front of the sticks if we are promoted.
Would you want him in goal in the Championship and, if not, who would you think would be a good enough player to replace him and how much would that cost the club?
It's not just Monday in recent games that his height has gone against him.

I agree he's a good goalkeeper, but I wouldn't say 'great'. Personally, I'd like to see a new keeper signed if we went up, but please don't ask me for a name. I'd never heard of David Seaman before he joined us from Leeds, and he turned out pretty good. Impossible for a supporter of a lower league tem to name potential signings - we've never heard of 90% of the players who join us.
“Apology is not about saying I'm sorry, but it is about the meaning you put behind the apology and admitting that you are the wrong part.”
― Unarine Ramaru
User avatar
ashman
Posts: 19066
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: Christy Pym

Post by ashman »

tonyp wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 09:56
ashman wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 09:30 Christy Pym is the best goalkeeper that we have had for ages. I really cannot think of another comparable one in my living memory.
Don't let DMac hear you say that or he will be transfer listed for several million after we get promoted.
By the way, I think that George Swindin was pretty good. Not to mention David Seaman.
George Swindin was from another era altogether. They used heavy laced balls and played to slightly different rules. Personally I considered Jack Walls a better keeper from that era.
Dave Seaman was nowt but a young 'un, still wet behind the ears when he was with Posh. He, of course, went on to become one of England's best keepers ever. I met and chatted to him down at Orton Meadows golf course when he was with us and even then he showed just what a charming man he was. He was a real giant and I wouldn't have wanted to challenge for a ball if David Seaman was in goal against me! He was a superb golfer too!
The chance of picking up someone comparable to Seaman is a once in a lifetime experience.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'
User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 30581
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: LDub

Re: Christy Pym

Post by bristleposh »

Really we once had Teflon Joe
I don't judge people on race, religion, gender,
ability or size, I judge them on whether or not
they're a prat!
User avatar
ashman
Posts: 19066
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: Christy Pym

Post by ashman »

bristleposh wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 10:46 Really we once had Teflon Joe
222 appearances for Aberdeen FC. The Posh boo boys destroyed Joe's confidence. The only thing for him do was to get away from us. He has been a great servant for Aberdeen and is the club's captain!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'
User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 30581
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: LDub

Re: Christy Pym

Post by bristleposh »

ashman wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 13:28
bristleposh wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 10:46 Really we once had Teflon Joe
222 appearances for Aberdeen FC. The Posh boo boys destroyed Joe's confidence. The only thing for him do was to get away from us. He has been a great servant for Aberdeen and is the club's captain!
It wasn’t the Posh boo boys, it was his own form that left the building when he got injured, from that moment on he was more than useless.
I don't judge people on race, religion, gender,
ability or size, I judge them on whether or not
they're a prat!
User avatar
ashman
Posts: 19066
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: Christy Pym

Post by ashman »

bristleposh wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 13:32
ashman wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 13:28
bristleposh wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 10:46 Really we once had Teflon Joe
222 appearances for Aberdeen FC. The Posh boo boys destroyed Joe's confidence. The only thing for him do was to get away from us. He has been a great servant for Aberdeen and is the club's captain!
It wasn’t the Posh boo boys, it was his own form that left the building when he got injured, from that moment on he was more than useless.
Very, very harsh. You weren't even there!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'
Post Reply