POSH v SUNDERLAND

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

ashman

POSH v SUNDERLAND

Post by ashman »

Peterborough United v Sunderland Monday 5th. April (15:00)

REFEREE: CRAIG HICKS

ASSISTANT REFEREES: Aaron Farmer and Andrew Hendley

Fourth Official: David Rock
'Everybody needs to have a friend'
Wilco

Re: POSH v SUNDERLAND

Post by Wilco »

Not sure I can bear the tension, if we lose this one I’ll be a grumpy git until at least the following Saturday.
Thought we were unlucky to come away with nothing from their place. Soft penalty and the better team lost.
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

Wilco wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 23:44 Not sure I can bear the tension, if we lose this one I’ll be a grumpy git until at least the following Saturday.
Thought we were unlucky to come away with nothing from their place. Soft penalty and the better team lost.
I'm with you....not sure how I'm going to survive as it was pretty tense today...they are not that good despite the name/history but they do have a very good manager who has got them really rocking...I think we might just blitz them and go 2-0 up early and will be hanging on desperately for a 2-1 win....
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

stumpy wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 01:52 I think we might just blitz them and go 2-0 up early.
:stupid:
ashman

Post by ashman »

stumpy wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 01:52 ..they are not that good despite the name/history but they do have a very good manager who has got them really rocking.
So do we! :wink:
Slabby

Post by Slabby »

ashman wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 11:19
stumpy wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 01:52 ..they are not that good despite the name/history but they do have a very good manager who has got them really rocking.
:clap2: "dog with a bone" springs to mind
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

We have to seek to reproduce the spirit of the 2-0 win over Leicester in 2009.

Discipline is likely to be critical: we had Thompson sent off at Lincoln, and Hamilton against Hull, and we can’t continue to compete with our closest rivals when we’re a man down. There may be some residual acrimony from the 3-0 win over Sunderland last season, so it’s important to avoid reckless tackles leading to bookings -– especially in the early stages, when the referee may be seeking to establish firm control. Someone needs to have a stern pre-match word in Thompson’s ear. Equally, Dembele should start; he should be on the pitch when a booking or a penalty is there to be won. (Burrows has shown himself to be an effective substitute against Wigan and Burton.)
Contrary to expectations, both J-CH and Wyke might be marked off the score sheet. We might have to look to Ward, Taylor, Reed or a defender for a goal.

We possess a genuine free-kick threat in JC-H and Ward, while it’s unlikely that Sunderland have forgotten Reed thumping a free kick against their bar earlier this season (one more reason to start Reed over Brown).

It’s not a must-win game, but it is a mustn’t-lose one. Sunderland and Hull face each other later in the season. Apart from the actual points dropped, home defeats to both Hull and Sunderland would be heavy psychological baggage to lug around for the remainder of the season.
The head says 1-1.
The heart says 2-1: a JC-H penalty and a bullet header by Beevers from a corner. (He’s been biding his time.)
ashman

Post by ashman »

There is no such thing as easy or difficult games at this stage of the season. Just ask Chelsea after their drubbing against WBA!
Wilco

Post by Wilco »

JohnC wrote: 04 Apr 2021, 14:07 We have to seek to reproduce the spirit of the 2-0 win over Leicester in 2009.
Absolutely. I was thinking about the game this morning and in my usual pessimistic fashion, I couldn’t envision a win for Posh, we always seem to lose the big games........but then I remembered the Leicester game and it gave me hope.....but still think we’ll have a man sent off and Sunderland will win through another dodgy penalty. :(
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

ashman wrote: 04 Apr 2021, 18:52 There is no such thing as easy or difficult games at this stage of the season. Just ask Chelsea after their drubbing against WBA!
Posh 7 Accrington 0 seemed like an easy game to me.
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

Team news just the one change Taylor in for Brown
I don't judge people on race, religion, gender,
ability or size, I judge them on whether or not
they're a prat!
BanburyPosh

Post by BanburyPosh »

Ref needs to get a grip right from the off. Suspect that Sunderland will come with a gameplan to stop us playing anyway they can. Lots of niggles and unnecessary fouls coming up.

:clap: :comeon: :clap:
Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller »

Anybody else crapping themselves?
“Apology is not about saying I'm sorry, but it is about the meaning you put behind the apology and admitting that you are the wrong part.”
― Unarine Ramaru
Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller »

Struggling to get into it yet
“Apology is not about saying I'm sorry, but it is about the meaning you put behind the apology and admitting that you are the wrong part.”
― Unarine Ramaru
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

ashman wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 11:19
Hooked :-)