FLEETWOOD v POSH

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

Wilco

Re: FLEETWOOD v POSH

Post by Wilco »

pleasureboy60 wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 18:27 How the hell did we win that, we were terrible
Terrible? Really?
Some people have very high expectations.
pleasureboy60

Post by pleasureboy60 »

Wilco wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 19:03
pleasureboy60 wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 18:27 How the hell did we win that, we were terrible
Terrible? Really?
If you think that's acceptable, then you are easily pleased.
Some of our players need to realise that this is perhaps the closet they will ever come to playing championship football, so a bit more passion and creativity wouldn't go a miss.
We didn't create hardly anything up front today which was worrying. Can't remember their keeper making a save until the last 5 minutes
ashman

Post by ashman »

pleasureboy60 wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 19:17
Terrible? Really?
Some of our players need to realise that this is perhaps the closet they will ever come to playing championship football, so a bit more passion and creativity wouldn't go a miss.
We didn't create hardly anything up front today which was worrying. Can't remember their keeper making a save until the last 5 minutes
Yep, that's the way! :shock: :comeon:
'Everybody needs to have a friend'
Wilco

Post by Wilco »

pleasureboy60 wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 19:17
Terrible? Really?
What I think is that there are 2 teams playing and we can’t just turn up and expect to muller all comers in the way we beat Accrington. Fleetwood are a decent team with an experienced manager and they made it difficult for us, but we won and if I’d been at the match I’d be coming home on a high, not worrying about how “terrible” we played.
Slabby

Post by Slabby »

Ignore the Accrington game......that was a one-off. In no way were we terrible today. We were the better side and we definitely played better than some of the woeful performances over the last month. We have changed from being a 45 minute team thankfully. To go up, imo, we cannot just rely on JCH. We need Sammie and Siriki to play and I don't think the opposition will then know who the hell to double-mark. That should then give opportunities for the others to get in.
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

I think as usual posh fans are dismissing the opposition, Fleetwood had us on toast, after those initial five or ten minutes, they didn’t give our front four any room to move in, on a couple of occasions we did get round the sides, but the crosses were repelled quite easily. Szmodics was man marked throughout and anytime he escaped his marker he was chopped down, one booking, clearly not enough. Even the back four were closed down leaving the big hike up field from Pym as our only out ball. Reed marginally the better of our two in midfield. Hopefully when we play Sunderland, our players won’t come the billy big b****x, we seem to be better against the big teams so hopefully Monday will see us move onwards and upwards.
I don't judge people on race, religion, gender,
ability or size, I judge them on whether or not
they're a prat!
Brianposh

Post by Brianposh »

They had certainly done their homework on us Nick. SZMODICS never got a look in/with some hard tackles.
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Wilco wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 19:31
What I think is that there are 2 teams playing and we can’t just turn up and expect to muller all comers in the way we beat Accrington. Fleetwood are a decent team with an experienced manager and they made it difficult for us, but we won and if I’d been at the match I’d be coming home on a high, not worrying about how “terrible” we played.
I agree. We won. 3 points. We can't do any better than that.
Bring on Sunderland.
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

Away win at a tough ground and we battled, tried to create and, got a bit lucky to win but would have been very unlucky to lose. Defence played well and special mention for Butler who really put in a shift. Reed and Brown did not lose the midfield but Szmodics and Ward were targeted and double marked to cut off the supply line...Burrows played well but Dembele added something different...Pym was much better than of late....I thought it was good away win..... :clap:
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

Just watched the highlights, they probably had the best chances but was so good to see the team celebrate the JCH goal....looks like they are together and there is a real camaraderie around the squad...bodes well for the run in!!
ashman

Post by ashman »

stumpy wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 20:46 Away win at a tough ground and we battled, tried to create and, got a bit lucky to win but would have been very unlucky to lose. Defence played well and special mention for Butler who really put in a shift. Reed and Brown did not lose the midfield but Szmodics and Ward were targeted and double marked to cut off the supply line...Burrows played well but Dembele added something different...Pym was much better than of late....I thought it was good away win..... :clap:
Simon Grayson certainly put the squeeze on Szmodics and Ward by double marking them. As he said in the after match report 'We contained the likes of Sammie Szmodics and Jonson Clarke-Harris really well during the game. We’re just slightly disappointed that at the top end of the pitch we weren’t as ruthless as we can be. It wasn’t just our strikers. It was our final pass or our final shot.'
I think that is doing our defence and keeper a disservice as they looked fairly solid and Butler was a great step up from recent games. If Dembele had played the full 90 (I'm glad he didn't have to) it would have opened up their defences much better and taken the pressure off Sammie. It will be a tough call on Reed on Monday when Taylor returns and likewise for Burrows, as he certainly had a good first half before fading in the second. I reckon that he is being well managed by Fergie. It is good to know that they will both be available for the Sunderland game along with Mason, Kanu and Eisa. It was an away win which has been a bit like hen's teeth this season. Three points were all that mattered at the end of the day!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

A tip of the hat to Siriki Dembele for opening the eye of the needle which JC-H threaded so dexterously; peeling away to open the gap at the end of the defensive wall at the free kick may prove to be his least celebrated but most significant contribution to this season.
There is a number of positives to take into the Sunderland game:
ten points from our last five games: that’s usually automatic promotion form;
three clean sheets in those games;
grinding out two unconvincing 1-0 victories which could easily have ended scoreless;
the return of Dembele and Taylor; we now have virtually a full strength squad available;
JC-H becoming a late-game scoring threat. Not so long ago, he wouldn’t feature on the scoring sheet after the 70th. minute, but recently, his late goals against Wigan, Rochdale and Fleetwood have proved invaluable.
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

ashman wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 07:53
stumpy wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 20:46 Away win at a tough ground and we battled, tried to create and, got a bit lucky to win but would have been very unlucky to lose. Defence played well and special mention for Butler who really put in a shift. Reed and Brown did not lose the midfield but Szmodics and Ward were targeted and double marked to cut off the supply line...Burrows played well but Dembele added something different...Pym was much better than of late....I thought it was good away win..... :clap:
Simon Grayson certainly put the squeeze on Szmodics and Ward by double marking them. As he said in the after match report 'We contained the likes of Sammie Szmodics and Jonson Clarke-Harris really well during the game. We’re just slightly disappointed that at the top end of the pitch we weren’t as ruthless as we can be. It wasn’t just our strikers. It was our final pass or our final shot.'
I think that is doing our defence and keeper a disservice as they looked fairly solid and Butler was a great step up from recent games. If Dembele had played the full 90 (I'm glad he didn't have to) it would have opened up their defences much better and taken the pressure off Sammie. It will be a tough call on Reed on Monday when Taylor returns and likewise for Burrows, as he certainly had a good first half before fading in the second. I reckon that he is being well managed by Fergie. It is good to know that they will both be available for the Sunderland game along with Mason, Kanu and Eisa. It was an away win which has been a bit like hen's teeth this season. Three points were all that mattered at the end of the day!

I think our away results (as opposed to performances) have been better than some may think. The promotion template of 'win your home games and draw your away ones' yields 92 points -- 69 at home and 23 away. Of course, winning every home game is highly unlikely (although I think we won 19 and drew 4 in 1973-4). So far we've dropped ten home points this season, and have 44 points from 18 games. Away, we have 28 points from 20 games. Even if we lost our last three away games, we'd still end up with more than a point per game on the road, where we hope to stumble upon some toothy hens before season's end.