3 games to go

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

Post Reply
Wilco
Posts: 136
Joined: 18 Jan 2020, 09:11

Re: 4 games to go

Post by Wilco »

Good grief, there’s more bullshit in this thread than your average cattle market.
Fergie’s record in the championship is not as bad as the usual suspects would have you believe.

Our first promotion, we naively thought we’d take the league by storm and when it didn’t quite materialise, he was given the boot. Preston were a team of hoof ball merchants who brought Fergie in because they thought his connections at Old Trafford would allow them to bring in decent players on loan, it didn’t work out but they were a **** show before he arrived and a **** show when he left.

Second time, we stayed up comfortably the first season and, despite a terrible start to the second season, we were one of the form teams for the second half of the season and relegated with 54 points, a record haul for a relegated team.

Many managers have inherited decent players and failed to deliver. The idea that he can only work with a team that other mediocre managers have put together is laughable, how many Steve Evans signings are left in a team that has us with a few points of promotion?
User avatar
White G
Posts: 2190
Joined: 04 May 2013, 22:23
Location: Globogym

Re: 4 games to go

Post by White G »

bristleposh wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 07:24As for him struggling in league one, it is not strictly true, take a look at the table.
I think the fact that this topic is so lively suggests that not everyone is convinced.
User avatar
DaveLister
Second Technician
Posts: 16705
Joined: 08 Jul 2009, 06:10
Location: On board the mining vessel Red Dwarf

Re: 4 games to go

Post by DaveLister »

ashman wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 11:41
JohnC wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 11:32 '....never gets given money to spend on a team....'?
My guess is that there wouldn't have been much change out of £1m after the signings of Dembele, Godden and Toney.
Exactly. That is why Evans never has any money to spend on players - he just can't be trusted to produce the goods from those signings.
DMac was the only chairman to allow him money, he spent it and still couldn't produce a team who could get a promotion!
Not strictly true Ashman, he spent money at Leeds.

Which remains Evans greatest achievement, those who tell us about Fergies failures in the championship conveniently forget that Evans failed in the championship with Leeds
Image
stumpy
Posts: 461
Joined: 01 Feb 2020, 15:52

Re: 4 games to go

Post by stumpy »

Wilco wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 19:53 Good grief, there’s more bullshit in this thread than your average cattle market.
Fergie’s record in the championship is not as bad as the usual suspects would have you believe.

Our first promotion, we naively thought we’d take the league by storm and when it didn’t quite materialise, he was given the boot. Preston were a team of hoof ball merchants who brought Fergie in because they thought his connections at Old Trafford would allow them to bring in decent players on loan, it didn’t work out but they were a **** show before he arrived and a **** show when he left.

Second time, we stayed up comfortably the first season and, despite a terrible start to the second season, we were one of the form teams for the second half of the season and relegated with 54 points, a record haul for a relegated team.

Many managers have inherited decent players and failed to deliver. The idea that he can only work with a team that other mediocre managers have put together is laughable, how many Steve Evans signings are left in a team that has us with a few points of promotion?
More excuses in that post than Donald Trump at a Miss World contest....don't forget, Ivan Toney's sale was the key to this seasons signings.....Now, Fergie has achieved another promotion and he deserves a great deal of credit - however, he really needs to do it in the championship......
User avatar
tonyp
Posts: 21145
Joined: 25 Jun 2005, 14:22
Location: Tanah Merah, Queensland

Re: 4 games to go

Post by tonyp »

stumpy wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 22:09 Fergie has achieved another promotion and he deserves a great deal of credit - however, he really needs to do it in the championship......
So, if the owners fork out more money and give Fergie a great Championship squad you'll expect him to take us straight into the Premier League?
User avatar
ashman
Posts: 19130
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: 4 games to go

Post by ashman »

tonyp wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 22:17
stumpy wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 22:09 Fergie has achieved another promotion and he deserves a great deal of credit - however, he really needs to do it in the championship......
So, if the owners fork out more money and give Fergie a great Championship squad you'll expect him to take us straight into the Premier League?
News just in. We haven't achieved promotion - yet!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'
User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 30658
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: LDub

Re: 3 games to go

Post by bristleposh »

If we don’t get promoted now, everyone from Fergie to the club cat should be sacked.
I don't judge people on race, religion, gender,
ability or size, I judge them on whether or not
they're a prat!
Wilco
Posts: 136
Joined: 18 Jan 2020, 09:11

Re: 3 games to go

Post by Wilco »

If we don’t go up, I’m buying a one way ticket to Switzerland.
User avatar
ashman
Posts: 19130
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: 3 games to go

Post by ashman »

"If we don’t get promoted now, everyone from Fergie to the club cat should be sacked."

"If we don’t go up, I’m buying a one way ticket to Switzerland."


So no pressure from you guys then!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'
stumpy
Posts: 461
Joined: 01 Feb 2020, 15:52

Re: 4 games to go

Post by stumpy »

tonyp wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 22:17
stumpy wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 22:09 Fergie has achieved another promotion and he deserves a great deal of credit - however, he really needs to do it in the championship......
So, if the owners fork out more money and give Fergie a great Championship squad you'll expect him to take us straight into the Premier League?
In a pandemic obliterated environment, to be able to buy the players we did when the rest of the division was in sheer survival was a huge benefit. That came about because we were able to sell Ivan Toney - that was a foundational moment and certainly would have helped any manager. There is a reason why Sunderland and others saw this season as Posh + 1 other for promotion...yes, that does not make it a forgone conclusion and Fergie still had to do his job and, as I said, he deserves a great deal of credit but, he had more at his disposal than any other club this season in our division and that is a factor that needs to be taken into account. Next season, we will be up against teams with much higher budgets than ours just like Gillingham, Lincoln and others are in our league....if Fergie gets us half way up the championship, he will, for the first time, have shown that he can be an effective manager at higher levels when he is not the "Man City" of the division....
User avatar
DaveLister
Second Technician
Posts: 16705
Joined: 08 Jul 2009, 06:10
Location: On board the mining vessel Red Dwarf

Re: 4 games to go

Post by DaveLister »

stumpy wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 22:09
Wilco wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 19:53 Good grief, there’s more bullshit in this thread than your average cattle market.
Fergie’s record in the championship is not as bad as the usual suspects would have you believe.

Our first promotion, we naively thought we’d take the league by storm and when it didn’t quite materialise, he was given the boot. Preston were a team of hoof ball merchants who brought Fergie in because they thought his connections at Old Trafford would allow them to bring in decent players on loan, it didn’t work out but they were a **** show before he arrived and a **** show when he left.

Second time, we stayed up comfortably the first season and, despite a terrible start to the second season, we were one of the form teams for the second half of the season and relegated with 54 points, a record haul for a relegated team.

Many managers have inherited decent players and failed to deliver. The idea that he can only work with a team that other mediocre managers have put together is laughable, how many Steve Evans signings are left in a team that has us with a few points of promotion?
More excuses in that post than Donald Trump at a Miss World contest....don't forget, Ivan Toney's sale was the key to this seasons signings.....Now, Fergie has achieved another promotion and he deserves a great deal of credit - however, he really needs to do it in the championship......
Actually, I agree with both posts. Wilco points out that the squad that has achieved promotion has few to none of Evans signings - there could be a connection - and also points out that Fergie is one of only two managers to keep us in the Championship.

But Stumpy is also correct when saying that Fergie needs to establish us in the championship. Personally I feel this squad needs considerable additions, though I'd love to see what RJJ can do with another year in the first team squad and a proper pre season.

The pandemic means that squad building may be challenging, given the lack of income. Fry has to sell before he can sanction buying.
Image
Post Reply