3 games to go

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

ashman

Re: 4 games to go

Post by ashman »

White G wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 23:29 Fergie is an average League One manager, case closed. He's not a Championship manager, he struggles in League One and is limited in his managerial abilities. This isn't opinion, this is fact as we've all seen him in action for a long time.
No, that is your opinion, it is definitely not fact!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'
Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller »

ashman wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 08:15 No, that is your opinion, it is definitely not fact!
I agree it's opinion and not fact ashman, but can you explain why Fergie has never been offered a job at a club bigger than Posh (apart from his disastrous spell at Preston)?

Come on, he's a mediocre manager who has got lucky with multi-million pound players in League 1 & League 2 and he has a chairman who adores him (or can't work with anybody else).

I'm not advocating Steve Evans here as his antics on Tuesday night were embarrassing again, but could you genuinely see Fergie having Gillingham on the brink of the play-offs with that squad?
“Apology is not about saying I'm sorry, but it is about the meaning you put behind the apology and admitting that you are the wrong part.”
― Unarine Ramaru
ashman

Post by ashman »

Gaz_Miller wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 08:33
ashman wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 08:15 No, that is your opinion, it is definitely not fact!
I agree it's opinion and not fact ashman, but can you explain why Fergie has never been offered a job at a club bigger than Posh (apart from his disastrous spell at Preston)?

Come on, he's a mediocre manager who has got lucky with multi-million pound players in League 1 & League 2 and he has a chairman who adores him (or can't work with anybody else).

I'm not advocating Steve Evans here as his antics on Tuesday night were embarrassing again, but could you genuinely see Fergie having Gillingham on the brink of the play-offs with that squad?
That game was a one off in a long season. We all know, well anyone who has played football, that some days, no matter how hard you try, the result you want just doesn't happen. Conversely, for no particular reason you can run rings around a team that you have no right to beat. Football is like that. Ask Manchester City why they lost to Manchester United, Chelsea and Leeds in the last four or five weeks.
Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller »

ashman wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 08:43 That game was a one off in a long season. We all know, well anyone who has played football, that some days, no matter how hard you try, the result you want just doesn't happen. Conversely, for no particular reason you can run rings around a team that you have no right to beat. Football is like that. Ask Manchester City why they lost to Manchester United, Chelsea and Leeds in the last four or five weeks.
Are you a politician? You avoided every question I asked.

And yes, that game was a one-off, but Gillingham are on the brink of the play-offs with a pub team.
“Apology is not about saying I'm sorry, but it is about the meaning you put behind the apology and admitting that you are the wrong part.”
― Unarine Ramaru
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

Gaz_Miller wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 09:01
ashman wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 08:43 That game was a one off in a long season. We all know, well anyone who has played football, that some days, no matter how hard you try, the result you want just doesn't happen. Conversely, for no particular reason you can run rings around a team that you have no right to beat. Football is like that. Ask Manchester City why they lost to Manchester United, Chelsea and Leeds in the last four or five weeks.
Are you a politician? You avoided every question I asked.

And yes, that game was a one-off, but Gillingham are on the brink of the play-offs with a pub team.
If, and it’s a big if, they were a pub team, they’d be playing north of the border 😂😂😂
I don't judge people on race, religion, gender,
ability or size, I judge them on whether or not
they're a prat!
HantsPosh

Post by HantsPosh »

White G wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 23:29 Fergie is an average League One manager, case closed. He's not a Championship manager, he struggles in League One and is limited in his managerial abilities. This isn't opinion, this is fact as we've all seen him in action for a long time.
'struggles' in League One? We're 2nd, 7 points clear of 3rd!! And Fergie Senior won the ECWC 38 years ago but then spent millions at Old Trafford and won sod all for 4 years to begin with, football was very different then.
ashman

Post by ashman »

I agree it's opinion and not fact ashman, but can you explain why Fergie has never been offered a job at a club bigger than Posh (apart from his disastrous spell at Preston)? He needed to get away from the game when he left Posh and only came back after DMac chased him up.

Come on, he's a mediocre manager who has got lucky with multi-million pound players in League 1 & League 2 and he has a chairman who adores him (or can't work with anybody else). There is nothing wrong with his chairman enjoying working with him. That is more than can be said for many manager/owner relationships.

I'm not advocating Steve Evans here as his antics on Tuesday night were embarrassing again, but could you genuinely see Fergie having Gillingham on the brink of the play-offs with that squad? Agreed. Evans once again showed his total disregard for football decency. Fergie could quite easily manage Gillingham to 9th position in league one. Stamford, Boston, Rotherham (promoted to league one) Leeds Utd, Mansfield, Posh, Gillingham. Found guilty of impeding FA inquiry into illegal contracts, suspended from game for 20 months, fined £8,000 and given a 12 month prison sentence suspended for two years. Suspended and sent to the dugouts time after time. He never gets given money to spend on a team as he cannot be trusted!
Darren Ferguson - three promotions and a football league trophy with Posh, third in league two with Doncaster, 673 games in charge of league teams. Most of Evans's success has been with non-league teams.

OK? Answers your questions?
Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller »

ashman wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 10:09 OK? Answers your questions?
No, they are opinions, not facts :wink:
― Unarine Ramaru
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

ashman wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 10:09
I agree it's opinion and not fact ashman, but can you explain why Fergie has never been offered a job at a club bigger than Posh (apart from his disastrous spell at Preston)? He needed to get away from the game when he left Posh and only came back after DMac chased him up.

Come on, he's a mediocre manager who has got lucky with multi-million pound players in League 1 & League 2 and he has a chairman who adores him (or can't work with anybody else). There is nothing wrong with his chairman enjoying working with him. That is more than can be said for many manager/owner relationships.

I'm not advocating Steve Evans here as his antics on Tuesday night were embarrassing again, but could you genuinely see Fergie having Gillingham on the brink of the play-offs with that squad? Agreed. Evans once again showed his total disregard for football decency. Fergie could quite easily manage Gillingham to 9th position in league one. Stamford, Boston, Rotherham (promoted to league one) Leeds Utd, Mansfield, Posh, Gillingham. Found guilty of impeding FA inquiry into illegal contracts, suspended from game for 20 months, fined £8,000 and given a 12 month prison sentence suspended for two years. Suspended and sent to the dugouts time after time. He never gets given money to spend on a team as he cannot be trusted!
Darren Ferguson - three promotions and a football league trophy with Posh, third in league two with Doncaster, 673 games in charge of league teams. Most of Evans's success has been with non-league teams.

OK? Answers your questions?
'....never gets given money to spend on a team....'?
My guess is that there wouldn't have been much change out of £1m after the signings of Dembele, Godden and Toney.
ashman

Post by ashman »

JohnC wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 11:32 '....never gets given money to spend on a team....'?
My guess is that there wouldn't have been much change out of £1m after the signings of Dembele, Godden and Toney.
Exactly. That is why Evans never has any money to spend on players - he just can't be trusted to produce the goods from those signings.
DMac was the only chairman to allow him money, he spent it and still couldn't produce a team who could get a promotion!
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

bristleposh wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 09:21
HantsPosh wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 08:32
tonyp wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 23:27

Correct. All we have to do is win the remaining four games and we'll get deserved promotion.
Win 3 out of the 4 is enough as the max points Lincoln can get is 87 & Sunderland 84, Blackpool 83. We can lose to Lincoln and still go up with 88 points
Expect 0 wins out of 4 and if we get any be happy about it. I think sadly we have no points to come, but will probably still go up as none of the others are very good either.
'....no points to come....'?
I am a little surprised that you think that Doncaster will do the double over us; only Blackpool have managed that this season, I think.
Doncaster's return to form stubbed its toe a little at Accrington on Tuesday.
Their record over the last eleven games (effectively a quarter of the season) reads: P11 W1 D2 L8 Goals For 7 Goals Against 19 Points 5.
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

ashman wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 11:41
JohnC wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 11:32 '....never gets given money to spend on a team....'?
Exactly. That is why Evans never has any money to spend on players - he just can't be trusted to produce the goods from those signings.
DMac was the only chairman to allow him money, he spent it and still couldn't produce a team who could get a promotion!
We seem to have a different understanding of the meaning of the word 'never'.
Slabby

Post by Slabby »

I'm fairly confident that we will be promoted. Despite being no fan whatsoever of "twice sacked", I cannot see us failing to secure 2nd spot.

Now comes my biggest fear.....that of life in the Championship. I have no confidence in him as our manager in a higher league. I agree with the comments from several posters that he can deliver the goods for us in Leagues 1 & 2 when he has been provided with or inherited a squad that is much better than many of our competitors. Could he manage a team on a much lower budget and get the best out of them? IMO the answer is no. I simply see him as a guy who can take good and above average players (for that specific league) and get results.

So let's assume we go up. Our owners have got to ask themselves the question I posed on another thread. "Are we going up for a laugh or are we committed now to our dream and aspiration of championship football?" I would like to think it's the latter, however let me just throw this hand grenade in. Our new stadium.

Our owners want it and it's going to cost money. Money which we need to invest in a much better squad to survive in the next tier. If they prioritize that over new players, then imo we will get panned and end up back in League 1, plus I do not feel that our current manager has the abilities to achieve anything with an average squad and a limited budget.

Given the choice, I would rather see us play in an average stadium and win than in a fancy new one and get hammered every week. And I still don't think our current manager is right for the job either way.
boro til I die

Post by boro til I die »

Loving the discussion fellas. Fergie is never going to be everyone's cup of tea and I sit somewhere in the middle, frustrated at times, believing he isn't good enough, and then full of admiration for where he has got my little club. Did we really believe we would be in this position at the start of the season? Yes we spent big sums but we all know that doesn't guarantee success. When we witnessed JCH in those early games did we really think we had a 30 goal striker on our hands? I remember his miss away at Sunderland and thought we had bought a real dud. For what it's worth I think we have overachieved this season. The quality hasn't been great and our squad is nowhere near previous squads that have got us up. I therefore believe Fergie has done really well with what he has at his disposal. He has frequently changed formation during games and wrestled victory from the jaws of defeat. We have been fortunate with injuries and suspensions as there aren't many outside of the starting 11 who we can rely on to improve or even maintain what we have got. I thought we had blown it after Blackpool but look where we are. I can't see us getting anything from Charlton but it will still be in our hands. We will need to shop wisely over the summer as we can see that we would struggle with the current squad, whether it is to stay in the Championship or get promoted from League One. Is Fergie the man? I can't answer that, but if he gets another promotion on his cv I believe he will have done a superb job. I for one like the way the club feels so together. Such stability off the field must be the envy of so many clubs. I've endured so many lows over 50 years that right now I am going to try to enjoy the run in.
Last edited by boro til I die on 22 Apr 2021, 18:28, edited 1 time in total.
ashman

Post by ashman »

boro til I die wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 18:20 Loving the discussion fellas. Fergie is never going to be everyone's cup of tea and I sit somewhere in the middle, frustrated at times, believing he isn't good enough, and then full of admiration for where he has got my little club. Did we really believe we would be in this position at the start of the season? Yes we spent big sums but we all know that doesn't guarantee success. When we witnessed JCH in those early games did we really think we had a 30 goal striker on our hands? I remember his miss away at Sunderland and thought we had bought a real dud. For what it's worth I think we have overachieved this season. The quality hasn't been great and our squad is nowhere near previous squads that have got us up. I therefore believe Fergie has done really well with what he has at his disposal. He has frequently changed formation during games and wrestled victory from the jaws of defeat. We have been fortunate with injuries and suspensions as there aren't many outside of the starting 11 who we can rely on to improve or even maintain what we have got. I thought we had blown it after Blackpool but look where we are. I can't see us getting anything from Charlton but it will still be in our hands. We will need to shop wisely over the summer as we can see that we would struggle with the current squad, whether it is to stay in the Championship or get promoted from League One. Is Fergie the man? I can't answer that, but if he gets another promotion on his cv I believe he will have done a superb job. I for one like the way the club feels so together. Such stability off the field must be the envy of so many clubs. I've endured so many lows over 50 years that right now I am going to try to enjoy the run in.
Great post 'boro til I die.' Some thoughtful points and I particularly liked the 'right now I am going to try to enjoy the run in!' :comeon: