5 games to go

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

Gazza8

Re: 7 games to go

Post by Gazza8 »

My predictions for the rest of season regarding to the schedule.
D41 :
Gillingham - Shrewbury : Gills
Lincoln - Blackpool : Blackpool
Doncaster - Wigan : Draw
Ipswich - Milton Keynes : Ipswich
Plymouth - Hull : Draw
Portsmouth - Burton : Portsmouth
Sunderland - Charlton : Draw
Swindon - Peterborough : Posh

Late matchs
D29 : Crewe - Portsmouth : Draw
D36 : Wigan - Sunderland : Sunderland
D39 : Lincoln - Milton Keynes : Draw

D42 :
Blackpool - Sunderland : Blackpool
Bristol - Lincoln : Bristol
Charlton - Ipswich : Ipswich
Hull - Fleetwood : Hull
Milton-Keynes - Portsmouth : Draw
Oxford - Gillingham : Oxford
Peterborough - Northampton : Posh
Shrewbury - Doncaster : Draw

D43 :
Swindon - Portsmouth : Portsmouth
Accrington - Doncaster : Accrington
Burton - Lincoln : Lincoln
Northampton - Ipswich : Draw
Peterborough - Gillingham : Peterborough
Hull - Sunderland : Hull
Plymouth - Charlton : Plymouth
Rochdale - Blackpool : Blackpool

D44 :
Portsmouth - Bristol : Portsmouth
Blackpool - Shrewbury : Blackpool
Charlton - Peterborough : Charlton
Doncaster - Fleetwood : Doncaster
Gillingham - Northampton : Gills
Ipswich - Wimbledon : Ipswich
Lincoln - Hull : Draw
Sunderland - Accrington : Sunderland

Late matches
D22 : Accrington - Portsmouth : Draw
D38 : Charlton - Crewe : Charlton
D22 : Peterborough - Doncaster : Posh
D22 : Shrewbury - Lincoln : Draw
D5 : Sunderland - Blackpool : Draw

D45 :
Accrington - Charlton : Draw
Burton - Gillingham : Burton
Hull - Wigan : Hull
Northampton - Blackpool : Northampton
Peterborough - Lincoln : Posh
Plymouth - Sunderland : Draw
Rochdale - Doncaster : Rochdale
Swindon - Ipswich : Draw
Wimbledon - Portsmouth : Portsmouth

D46 :
Blackpool - Bristol : Blackpool
Charlton - Hull : Draw
Doncaster - Peterborough : Draw
Gillingham - Plymouth : Gills
Ipswich - Fleetwood : Ipswich
Lincoln - Wimbledon : Lincoln
Portsmouth - Accrington : Portsmouth
Sunderland - Northampton : Sunderland

Points at the end :
Hull : 88 points
Peterborough : 89 points
Sunderland : 83 points
Portsmouth : 82 points
Blackpool : 79 points
Lincoln : 71 points
Charlton : 68 points
Ipswich : 73 points
Gillingham : 68 points
Doncaster : 63 points

Table at the end
1 - POSH
2 - Hull
3 - Sunderland
4 - Portsmouth
5 - Blackpool
6 - Ipswich
7 - Charlton
8 - Lincoln
9 - Gillingham
10 - Doncaster
Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller »

Wow - you've got Sunderland to only get 12 points out of a possible 24? They've just got 20 out of their last 24, so that's some dip in form.

Love your optimism though :)
“Apology is not about saying I'm sorry, but it is about the meaning you put behind the apology and admitting that you are the wrong part.”
― Unarine Ramaru
Gazza8

Post by Gazza8 »

Sunderland has big matchs front of Blackpool (twice) and Charlton especially... So that will be hard for them too.
ashman

Post by ashman »

Gazza8 wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 16:11 Sunderland has big matchs front of Blackpool (twice) and Charlton especially... So that will be hard for them too.
Thanks Gazza8 for your predictions. :clap2: I had a headache by the time I had finished reading them!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

DMac is expecting us to win the remaining games.
https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/spo ... es-3192229
MacAnthony has called for an all-out attacking policy in the last seven games of the season, starting with the trip to lowly Swindon Town on Saturday (April 10).
and DMac said
I want to see a goalfest. Never mind the clean sheets, let’s go on the attack or Hull will be off into the distance and Sunderland will come past us. I’m excited to be in a title race as well as a promotion race. We all just need to focus on what’s in front of us.

If my players want to become Championship footballers they just need to go out and win seven games.
HantsPosh

Post by HantsPosh »

tonyp wrote: 09 Apr 2021, 06:16 DMac is expecting us to win the remaining games.
https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/spo ... es-3192229
MacAnthony has called for an all-out attacking policy in the last seven games of the season, starting with the trip to lowly Swindon Town on Saturday (April 10).
and DMac said
I want to see a goalfest. Never mind the clean sheets, let’s go on the attack or Hull will be off into the distance and Sunderland will come past us. I’m excited to be in a title race as well as a promotion race. We all just need to focus on what’s in front of us.

If my players want to become Championship footballers they just need to go out and win seven games.
DMac not bothered by clean sheets but presumably sanctioned the signing of the new GK as apparently the other 2 we have on the books aren't good enough
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

HantsPosh wrote: 09 Apr 2021, 08:37 DMac not bothered by clean sheets but presumably sanctioned the signing of the new GK as apparently the other 2 we have on the books aren't good enough
Good point!
ashman

Post by ashman »

tonyp wrote: 09 Apr 2021, 09:14
HantsPosh wrote: 09 Apr 2021, 08:37 DMac not bothered by clean sheets but presumably sanctioned the signing of the new GK as apparently the other 2 we have on the books aren't good enough
Good point!
Strange? If he was not bothered about clean sheets, then Gyollai would have been ok. In that case there was no need to spend money on a loan player but simply rely on the rest of the team to outscore anything the opposition could do! Who knows!?
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

Given that we concede a goal a game anyway (38 in 39 games), it wouldn't be surprising if we continued in that vein; we could have no clean sheets yet still get promoted.
JohnC

Re: 6 games to go

Post by JohnC »

Sunderland's next game is at Wigan, who must be feeling a little frisky after their four-goal romp at Doncaster. I must say I don't envy Sunderland their two games against Blackpool and their visit to Hull. Let's hope that what looks like their easiest game -- against the Cobblers on the last day of the season -- comes too late for them.
White G

Post by White G »

We can't blow this now! Sunderland's best player is a chubby 36 year old journeyman. Sums up the league this season. We'll get destroyed next season if we go up, but reckon only Hull would have a realistic chance of staying up out of League 1.
Slabby

Post by Slabby »

We will definitely get destroyed next season in the Championship if we perpetuate our infatuation with selling our best players.
Our 3 owners, twice-sacked and Barry need to sit round the boardroom table (with a well deserved hangover) on Sunday 9th of May. They need to look each other in the eye and ask a simple question.

"Are we in the Championship for good, or is it going to be another flying visit?"
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

White G wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 20:07 We can't blow this now! Sunderland's best player is a chubby 36 year old journeyman. Sums up the league this season. We'll get destroyed next season if we go up, but reckon only Hull would have a realistic chance of staying up out of League 1.
Nice to see our resident doom merchant, still chucking out the same old tosh.
I don't judge people on race, religion, gender,
ability or size, I judge them on whether or not
they're a prat!
pleasureboy60

Post by pleasureboy60 »

Slabby wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 21:07 We will definitely get destroyed next season in the Championship if we perpetuate our infatuation with selling our best players.
Our 3 owners, twice-sacked and Barry need to sit round the boardroom table (with a well deserved hangover) on Sunday 9th of May. They need to look each other in the eye and ask a simple question.

"Are we in the Championship for good, or is it going to be another flying visit?"
That's a very good post and one which slightly worries me.
I look at the three teams which got promoted last year and it could well be that all three will be back in division one next season.
There's a massive gulf in both the quality of football, quality of players and money needed to survive.
My worry is that all our money will be invested into the new ground, leaving very little for better players and a higher wage bill.
Do we have the quality in the present squad to hold our own in the championship and survive?. Quite frankly No we don't!
It's all very well picking up young talent to play in our current situation, but plucking kids out of nowhere and expecting them to shine in the championship is a different matter.
You only have to look at Eisa, Brown and Szmodics to prove my point.
There are some Big Big clubs that we could be possible facing next season with much bigger budgets than ours.
It's a daunting prospect and I'm not convinced we are going to be any better equipped than some of our division one predecessors before us.
ashman

Post by ashman »

pleasureboy60 wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 09:29
Slabby wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 21:07 We will definitely get destroyed next season in the Championship if we perpetuate our infatuation with selling our best players.

That's a very good post and one which slightly worries me.
I look at the three teams which got promoted last year and it could well be that all three will be back in division one next season.
There's a massive gulf in both the quality of football, quality of players and money needed to survive.
My worry is that all our money will be invested into the new ground, leaving very little for better players and a higher wage bill.
Do we have the quality in the present squad to hold our own in the championship and survive?. Quite frankly No we don't!
It's all very well picking up young talent to play in our current situation, but plucking kids out of nowhere and expecting them to shine in the championship is a different matter.
You only have to look at Eisa, Brown and Szmodics to prove my point.
There are some Big Big clubs that we could be possible facing next season with much bigger budgets than ours.
It's a daunting prospect and I'm not convinced we are going to be any better equipped than some of our division one predecessors before us.
I agree with both of these posts. I have mentioned this before and I can see that if we go up, then the Holy Trinity (part 2) will have the most important decision that the club has ever had to make. It really is a 'chicken and egg' situation. Do we buy top quality players for the Championship, (we have not done this before) or do we pump money into a new Stadium?
In order to furnish a new stadium we need to be in the Championship with its associated revenue. It is no good being in League One and having a superb stadium which will quickly become a noose around the club's neck!
The council need to give us the go ahead to build it where we want it. Randy said it would knock us back ten years if we were refused! By then the Trinity would be far, far away, I guess!
If you haven't listed to this yet try to find time to listen to the zoom with Phil Adlam, Stewart Randy Thompson and Councilor Wayne Fitzgerald. It's an hour and a quarter long but is an incredibly interesting foresight into the situation. (It does get a touch political towards the end but it is relevant)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqRh_wYMSvg&t=323s