Posh v Gillingham

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

tonyp

Re: Posh v Gillingham

Post by tonyp »

Gaz_Miller wrote: 19 Feb 2021, 23:51
He {Steve Evans} explained that our players are far superior to anybody he can afford & they would have got totally overrun. He said he tried two up top to at least try to stop our momentum.

In reality, it’s like under-11 football without crowds. The best players should always win.
I think that Gaz and Steve Evans are right. We have the best team and the best manager in League 1.
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

What a ridiculous discussion - Evans is managing a team with a 50p budget and Fergie has millions of pounds of talent....we are the Man City of the league and Gillingham are the Sheff Utd...the fact that we are not top and Gillingham are not bottom is the best judge of management....lets face it, even the much hated Steve Evans had Posh in play offs (and would have got us promoted) - money matters a lot in lower leagues....if Fergie were that good, he wouldnt be at Posh
Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller »

Don’t waste your time. The lack of very basic football knowledge is shocking on these boards
“Apology is not about saying I'm sorry, but it is about the meaning you put behind the apology and admitting that you are the wrong part.”
― Unarine Ramaru
ashman

Post by ashman »

Gaz_Miller wrote: 20 Feb 2021, 17:14 Don’t waste your time. The lack of very basic football knowledge is shocking on these boards
Don't be so hard on yourself!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'
Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller »

ashman wrote: 20 Feb 2021, 18:05
Gaz_Miller wrote: 20 Feb 2021, 17:14 Don’t waste your time. The lack of very basic football knowledge is shocking on these boards
Any comment on Stumpys post or is that beyond you?
“Apology is not about saying I'm sorry, but it is about the meaning you put behind the apology and admitting that you are the wrong part.”
― Unarine Ramaru
ashman

Post by ashman »

Gaz_Miller wrote: 20 Feb 2021, 19:29
ashman wrote: 20 Feb 2021, 18:05
Any comment on Stumpys post or is that beyond you?
Some good points from stumpy but Fergie is doing a very good job at trying to get us to the next level. Evans was doing ok but he was rapidly becoming a total embarrassment to the club, which the majority of fans were not happy with. Both managers have been backed seriously by the board. More to the point DMac and co. (who put up the money for both Evans and Fergie) were seriously fed up with him.

Question: Why do you still continue to exalt Steve Evans's efforts at Posh? He is not our manager, he tried and was found lacking in several different areas. Forget him!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'
Wilco

Post by Wilco »

stumpy wrote: 20 Feb 2021, 17:06 What a ridiculous discussion - Evans is managing a team with a 50p budget and Fergie has millions of pounds of talent....we are the Man City of the league and Gillingham are the Sheff Utd...the fact that we are not top and Gillingham are not bottom is the best judge of management....lets face it, even the much hated Steve Evans had Posh in play offs (and would have got us promoted) - money matters a lot in lower leagues....if Fergie were that good, he wouldnt be at Posh
I’d suggest Steve Evans has a bigger budget than Crewe or Accrington, two teams who sit above gillingham.
You keep rewriting history to suite your own agenda. After a series of poor results we were barely hanging onto a play off spot and the football was dire. Like most Posh fans, I wanted Evans to succeed (I want every manager to succeed) but the match day experience was awful. I watched some dross in the 1980s but nothing compared to some of the fare served up by the Evans’ team, it really was piss poor. OK, Some of Fergie’s teams have not always delivered the excitement and quality we want but at least there is an attempt to entertain.....and obviously any world beating manager would not be at Posh.....so what is your real gripe with Fergie? There’s obviously something that us lesser mortals don’t understand so please tell us.
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

Gareth Ainsworth took Wycombe up with a much smaller budget than Evans had.
I don't judge people on race, religion, gender,
ability or size, I judge them on whether or not
they're a prat!
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

bristleposh wrote: 20 Feb 2021, 22:45 Gareth Ainsworth took Wycombe up with a much smaller budget than Evans had.
I wouldn't know whether that is true but the way they're going he'll take them down again.
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

Wilco wrote: 20 Feb 2021, 20:44
stumpy wrote: 20 Feb 2021, 17:06 What a ridiculous discussion - Evans is managing a team with a 50p budget and Fergie has millions of pounds of talent....we are the Man City of the league and Gillingham are the Sheff Utd...the fact that we are not top and Gillingham are not bottom is the best judge of management....lets face it, even the much hated Steve Evans had Posh in play offs (and would have got us promoted) - money matters a lot in lower leagues....if Fergie were that good, he wouldnt be at Posh
I’d suggest Steve Evans has a bigger budget than Crewe or Accrington, two teams who sit above gillingham.
You keep rewriting history to suite your own agenda. After a series of poor results we were barely hanging onto a play off spot and the football was dire. Like most Posh fans, I wanted Evans to succeed (I want every manager to succeed) but the match day experience was awful. I watched some dross in the 1980s but nothing compared to some of the fare served up by the Evans’ team, it really was piss poor. OK, Some of Fergie’s teams have not always delivered the excitement and quality we want but at least there is an attempt to entertain.....and obviously any world beating manager would not be at Posh.....so what is your real gripe with Fergie? There’s obviously something that us lesser mortals don’t understand so please tell us.
I don't rewrite history. This "entertainment" fallacy is boring. Look, just to be very clear, I'm no fan of Steve Evans and, as you know, I'm no fan of Fergie. Any manager that inherited Boyd, CMS and McLean in the lower leagues could have played entertaining football ..all went on to play at the higher level and then Tomlin + McCann....my view is simple, at this level, we are the Man City of the league and sold Toney for millions when most at our level are struggling to survive....the manager's job is to get us promoted and we should get promoted....Evans had us top of the league and in the play offs....was he a good manager or did he have a lot of financial support? It's one or the other....is Fergie a good manager or does he enjoy a lot of financial support? What I hate is all the crap about Evans being fat or mouthy or not entertaining....all could apply to Fergie with the exception of his jowls being fatter than Evans stomach....Fergie is a good lower league manager, Evans is a good lower league manager, neither are great and any manager of Posh under DMAc is very, very, very lucky...I am a fan of calling bullshit