Papa John’s EFL trophy quarter finals

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

Gaz_Miller

Re: Papa John’s EFL trophy quarter finals

Post by Gaz_Miller »

Every single time we have one iffy result, Fergie has no idea how to stop the slide. He’s not up to this level.

But some of us knew this years ago.
“Apology is not about saying I'm sorry, but it is about the meaning you put behind the apology and admitting that you are the wrong part.”
― Unarine Ramaru
pleasureboy60

Post by pleasureboy60 »

I suppose our wonderful chairman will do what he normally does in these situations and sack the assistant manager. Watch this space!
Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller »

Did Eddie Howe get a job?
“Apology is not about saying I'm sorry, but it is about the meaning you put behind the apology and admitting that you are the wrong part.”
― Unarine Ramaru
ashman

Post by ashman »

There really isn't a lot to say after that!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'
HantsPosh

Post by HantsPosh »

No goals from open play in 4 games and Crewe Bayern Alexandra Munich are in town on Saturday as well!

It's amazing how many players look a million dollars when we first sign them and once they get 'coached' by Fergie & his 'coaching' staff they turn to utter dross, Eisa, Szmodics are 2 recent examples and from the past there's Jack Payne & Mendez-Laing to name a couple.

R-JJ is going backwards and was truly awful last night and I'm amazed he played the whole game, at least Kanu got yanked off at ht.

Knocked out of all 3 cups this year by teams from lower leagues :oops:
Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller »

Crewe & Ipswich are now massive games.

Dumped out of the three cups by such poor opposition is inexcusable. If automatic promotion goes out of the wndow too, it will be a disaster season.
― Unarine Ramaru
pleasureboy60

Post by pleasureboy60 »

ashman wrote: 03 Feb 2021, 08:37 There really isn't a lot to say after that!
I disagree, I think there's alot to be said about our so called football team.
I'm sure I'm not the only Posh fan who looks at the Division 1 league table on a regular basis and reads match reports on most games.
I look at the so called minnows of our league, the Crewes, the Accringtons, the Fleetwoods etc who in normal circumstances, survive on paltry attendances, small squads and low budgets.
Why are they able to not only survive, but are also capable of playing a more entertaining style and a better quality of football than ourselves?
Apart from the obvious reason of them having better technical managers and players. I think the issue here is that we are a club renowned for this reputation of attracting young players for the sole purpose of selling to make money.
This is the clubs priority and always will be under the current regime.
For many years now under MacAnthony, players come to this club with the understanding and promise that they will be sold for mega bucks to the highest bidder.
This is installed into our players as soon as they sign and for them their priority is not to bring success for the club, but to get that big money move. Do the players really care what league Posh play in, I think not!
Do players past and present care about lining their pockets, I think so!.
There is far too much hype, especially from our chairman put on the majority of our younger players trying to put them in the shop window to line his pockets. This has to stop, because we are going nowhere fast, and let's face it, some of these so called million pound youngsters, really aren't that special.
I look at this current squad and all I see is individuals who really are not team players. The likes of Crewe and Accrington don't have our resources but they have players who blend as a team and who want to play for the shirt.
Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller »

Some very valid points pleasureboy60.

I've been asking it for years - if our model of running a football club is so good, why hasn't one other club adopted it? And if we do need to sell a player for mega millions every two or three years, how on earth are other League 1 & 2 clubs even surviving?

But for me, the current issue is purely down to management. There's a reason Darren Ferguson hasn't gone any higher than Posh in his managerial career (apart from a brief spell at Preston - and you should read what their fans thought of him).

The problem is, he appears to be the only manager who accepts the club policy. Buy & sell, buy and sell etc etc.

I hoped, once the two new co-owners came on board, thinsg might change. But it's just same old, same old.

With a new stadium looming, we need to change tact. Get in a good manager & let him manage. Stop the bigging up of players and prove it on the pitch.

We're trying to run a rolls royce with a skoda engine.
― Unarine Ramaru
ashman

Post by ashman »

pleasureboy60 wrote: 03 Feb 2021, 10:34
ashman wrote: 03 Feb 2021, 08:37 There really isn't a lot to say after that!
I look at the so called minnows of our league, the Crewes, the Accringtons, the Fleetwoods etc who in normal circumstances, survive on paltry attendances, small squads and low budgets.
Why are they able to not only survive, but are also capable of playing a more entertaining style and a better quality of football than ourselves?
They probably do for a few games, or so, but the only club of that ilk that has had success recently has been Wycombe; and we know how they managed that!
Posh have been in the Championship twice in the last twelve years. There are several clubs really struggling financially to survive and none of the mentioned ones, plus many more, will be challenging for a seat in the Championship. The only ones anyone can reasonably expect to be there at the death would be Ipswich, Portsmouth, Hull, Sunderland and maybe Charlton and/or Blackpool.
Posh are maybe towards the top of the next level of clubs including Lincoln, Doncaster, Plymouth, and Wigan maybe who could realistically be in with a shout of getting into the playoffs/automatics.
The minnows will be nowhere near those two levels within this league.
pleasureboy60

Post by pleasureboy60 »

Wigan? Really!
ashman

Post by ashman »

pleasureboy60 wrote: 03 Feb 2021, 14:11 Wigan? Really!
Huge club just waiting to awaken!
Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller »

Just watched Fergie's interview from his orangery.

I think it was last night's game he was talking about, could have been Shrewsbury or any of another 7 or 8 games this season.
― Unarine Ramaru
ashman

Post by ashman »

Gaz_Miller wrote: 03 Feb 2021, 17:13 Just watched Fergie's interview from his orangery.

I think it was last night's game he was talking about, could have been Shrewsbury or any of another 7 or 8 games this season.
The trouble is, managers are made to speak to the press two or three times a week and it is very difficult for anyone to vary their responses each time.
Listen to Sean Dyche's interview and maybe we should get managers to respond in a similar manner! :D

https://www.theguardian.com/football/vi ... ence-video