The Pitch

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

ashman

The Pitch

Post by ashman »

I see that the pitch is beginning to dry out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrmY-OJeeCg
'Everybody needs to have a friend'
Brianposh

Re: The Pitch

Post by Brianposh »

It was a most incredible day Dave. I think it would have been postponed/abandoned if it had not been for the big crowd. In my top two or three unbelievable football experiences of my life. Remember it was followed by the replay at Villa Park 4 days later when an estimated over 10,000 turned up with over several thousand standing outside the Ground.
Last edited by Brianposh on 07 Jan 2021, 16:46, edited 1 time in total.
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.
ashman

Post by ashman »

Brianposh wrote: 07 Jan 2021, 09:45 It was a most incredible day Dave. I think it would have been postponed/abandoned if it had not been for the big crowd. In my top two or three unbelievable football experiences of my life. Remember it was followed by the replay at Villa Park 4 days later when an estimated over 100,000 turned up with over several thousand standing outside the Ground.
I couldn't go to the replay as I was too young. Official attendance was 64,531 with an estimated 10,000 outside. (mostly Posh fans. Can you imagine that happening nowadays? There would be chaos and maybe multiple injuries!) Was it here that Vic Crowe ended up with a broken leg?
ashman

Post by ashman »

Back on thread. I hear that Posh have had a huge inflatable heated ballon erected over the pitch to dry it out. Apparently this is being paid for by some insurance.
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

ashman wrote: 07 Jan 2021, 10:29
Brianposh wrote: 07 Jan 2021, 09:45 It was a most incredible day Dave. I think it would have been postponed/abandoned if it had not been for the big crowd. In my top two or three unbelievable football experiences of my life. Remember it was followed by the replay at Villa Park 4 days later when an estimated over 100,000 turned up with over several thousand standing outside the Ground.
I couldn't go to the replay as I was too young. Official attendance was 64,531 with an estimated 10,000 outside. (mostly Posh fans. Can you imagine that happening nowadays? There would be chaos and maybe multiple injuries!) Was it here that Vic Crowe ended up with a broken leg?
No, that was Chelsea away several seasons later. I remember that game in the mud against Villa I stood down the front of London Road, near where Ashman and Nipper currently stand. Too young to go to the replay, I think this was another game I watched outside the PET offices.
I don't judge people on race, religion, gender,
ability or size, I judge them on whether or not
they're a prat!
Brianposh

Post by Brianposh »

Nick is correct. Vic Crowe broke his leg playing for us that day v Chelsea(played with Villa v Posh at the game Dave and I were talking about. Villa won 2-1), a wonderful goal by Mc.Namee for Posh, 2 offside goals(admitted afterwards)scored by Peter Mc.Parland at Villa.
Dot came to that game and we sat with Ron Cooper!!!!!

A book about Vic Crowe out and about somewhere,.... I helped the author write the piece for when he was at Posh.
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.

tonyp

Post by tonyp »

I remember that FA Cup quarterfinal game at Stamford Bridge mainly because of the injury to Vic Crowe early ion the game.
Of course substitutes weren't allowed in those days. We lost 5-1.
I'm going on a poor memory but I'm pretty sure that Crowe came back on despite his injury and scored our only goal.
Brianposh

Post by Brianposh »

Yep, HE DID Tony.

ashman

Post by ashman »

Brianposh wrote: 08 Jan 2021, 00:26 Yep, HE DID Tony.
.... with a broken leg! That wouldn't happen nowadays - nor should it have been allowed, but with a no subs structure in place, what else could they have done. Vic could have refused to go back on I suppose!