It's always about the Money

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

pleasureboy60
Posts: 394
Joined: 25 May 2011, 09:27

It's always about the Money

Post by pleasureboy60 »

I see once again the £ signs are too much to ignore for our selling club with 13 year old goalkeeper Sam Proctor being sold to Aston Villa. It really highlights the fact that we will always be a selling club, putting money before success. These type of players are our future if we believe all our beloved chairman tells us. I'm really doubting this clubs ambitions for the future and I feel the championship and beyond are purely an ego trip for our owners, let alone a pipedream.
User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 30419
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: LDub

Re: It's always about the Money

Post by bristleposh »

pleasureboy60 wrote: 01 Jan 2021, 16:32 I see once again the £ signs are too much to ignore for our selling club with 13 year old goalkeeper Sam Proctor being sold to Aston Villa. It really highlights the fact that we will always be a selling club, putting money before success. These type of players are our future if we believe all our beloved chairman tells us. I'm really doubting this clubs ambitions for the future and I feel the championship and beyond are purely an ego trip for our owners, let alone a pipedream.
...and you would expect what? Look how many players Liverpool have sold, when the big money comes calling Courtinho, Suarez, Owen, amongst others
I don't judge people on race, religion, gender,
ability or size, I judge them on whether or not
they're a prat!
User avatar
Brianposh
Posts: 9462
Joined: 06 May 2005, 13:13
Location: Within sight and sound of London Road.

Re: It's always about the Money

Post by Brianposh »

Every Club in football IS a selling Club.
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.
Bluemike
Posts: 128
Joined: 09 Jan 2020, 20:04

Re: It's always about the Money

Post by Bluemike »

....except that we sell our best players every season to ensure that we remain a good and profitable club in League 1. People need to recognise this on this forum. PUFC is being run as a business.
We are a good League 1 side and that's it
pleasureboy60
Posts: 394
Joined: 25 May 2011, 09:27

Re: It's always about the Money

Post by pleasureboy60 »

Bluemike wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 21:27 ....except that we sell our best players every season to ensure that we remain a good and profitable club in League 1. People need to recognise this on this forum. PUFC is being run as a business.
We are a good League 1 side and that's it
Precisely, and that's all we will ever be!
User avatar
ashman
Posts: 18874
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: It's always about the Money

Post by ashman »

pleasureboy60 wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 21:32
Bluemike wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 21:27 ....except that we sell our best players every season to ensure that we remain a good and profitable club in League 1. People need to recognise this on this forum. PUFC is being run as a business.
We are a good League 1 side and that's it
Precisely, and that's all we will ever be!
I enjoy the supporters optimism and enthusiasm for our club! :roll:
'Everybody needs to have a friend'
Bluemike
Posts: 128
Joined: 09 Jan 2020, 20:04

Re: It's always about the Money

Post by Bluemike »

ashman wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 21:48
pleasureboy60 wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 21:32
Bluemike wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 21:27 ....except that we sell our best players every season to ensure that we remain a good and profitable club in League 1. People need to recognise this on this forum. PUFC is being run as a business.
We are a good League 1 side and that's it
Precisely, and that's all we will ever be!
I enjoy the supporters optimism and enthusiasm for our club! :roll:
I think, Ashman, we all have optimism and enthusiasm for our club, but I also think you're deluding yourself if you think the "management 3" want Championship Football ahead of league 1 fanancial profit
User avatar
ashman
Posts: 18874
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: It's always about the Money

Post by ashman »

Bluemike wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 22:52
ashman wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 21:48
pleasureboy60 wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 21:32

Precisely, and that's all we will ever be!
I enjoy the supporters optimism and enthusiasm for our club! :roll:
I think, Ashman, we all have optimism and enthusiasm for our club, but I also think you're deluding yourself if you think the "management 3" want Championship Football ahead of league 1 fanancial profit
I think we have to agree to differ on this. We MUST get into the championship and the 'management 3' as you call them desperately need this if we are to obtain the new stadium. I very much doubt that DMac, Jason Neale, Stewart Thompson and Bob Symns would have spent such an incredible amount of time and money on this project if they were of the mindset of using the club purely for financial profit.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'
pleasureboy60
Posts: 394
Joined: 25 May 2011, 09:27

Re: It's always about the Money

Post by pleasureboy60 »

To be honest I don't give two hoots about a new stadium. It s not going to guarantee you a higher level of football. Just look at M K Dons.
User avatar
tonyp
Posts: 20974
Joined: 25 Jun 2005, 14:22
Location: Tanah Merah, Queensland

Re: It's always about the Money

Post by tonyp »

pleasureboy60 wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 23:48 To be honest I don't give two hoots about a new stadium. It s not going to guarantee you a higher level of football. Just look at M K Dons.
But a new stadium is likely to bring in more income which is what the owners want to see.
And if we can make it into the second division we will see a higher level of football.
If the owners were wealthy enough to not need to sell the best players we would have a better chance of getting into the second division.
User avatar
ashman
Posts: 18874
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: It's always about the Money

Post by ashman »

pleasureboy60 wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 23:48 To be honest I don't give two hoots about a new stadium. It s not going to guarantee you a higher level of football. Just look at M K Dons.
I agree that it doesn't always guarantee a higher level of football. MK Dons are a interesting case to quote as the population is purely a put together hotch pot of settlers that have never properly supported a team.
The catchment area of Peterborough is vastly different and although we have a percentage of 'strangers' within our midst from London and elsewhere I am sure that any lasting success would far outgrow the efforts of Milton Keynes.
Maybe St. Mary's (Southampton), Falmer Stadium (Brighton) Ashton Gate (Bristol City) Madejski Stadium (Reading), KCOM Stadium (Hull), Kirklees Stadium (Huddersfield) New York Stadium (Rotherham) Brentford Community Stadium (Brentford) would be better comparisons to quote. I'm sure that I have missed some too!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'
User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 30419
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: LDub

Re: It's always about the Money

Post by bristleposh »

ashman wrote: 03 Jan 2021, 07:30
Maybe St. Mary's (Southampton), Falmer Stadium (Brighton) Ashton Gate (Bristol City) Madejski Stadium (Reading), KCOM Stadium (Hull), Kirklees Stadium (Huddersfield) New York Stadium (Rotherham) Brentford Community Stadium (Brentford) would be better comparisons to quote. I'm sure that I have missed some too!
The Deva Stadium, (Chester), Darlington Arena, The Hive (Barnet), Nene Park (Rushden), JobServe Community Stadium (Colchester)
I don't judge people on race, religion, gender,
ability or size, I judge them on whether or not
they're a prat!
pleasureboy60
Posts: 394
Joined: 25 May 2011, 09:27

Re: It's always about the Money

Post by pleasureboy60 »

:(
tonyp wrote: 03 Jan 2021, 02:56
pleasureboy60 wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 23:48 To be honest I don't give two hoots about a new stadium. It s not going to guarantee you a higher level of football. Just look at M K Dons.
But a new stadium is likely to bring in more income which is what the owners want to see.
And if we can make it into the second division we will see a higher level of football.
If the owners were wealthy enough to not need to sell the best players we would have a better chance of getting into the second division.
The only way you are going to generate more income is by playing in the championship and the away support other teams bring to the city . Not relying on the current 5-6000 regulars and season ticket holders.
To sustain a championship team you need good players and for a club like us you need to produce your own gifted talent., not sell them on everytime another club comes knocking.
We, like other clubs in the past think you can maintain a successful championship club without investment in better players. You only have to look at the three teams that went up from our league last year. Hardly any investment, very little money and there current league position warrants that!
I think we have a great youth system and it's now reeping the benefits and unearthing some great young talent. My point is that we need to keep these players and not be tempted to sell them on. If and it's a big if, we were to get into the championship, then these players could be our lifeline and have a major part in whether we can consolidate ourselves as a championship club.
User avatar
ashman
Posts: 18874
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: It's always about the Money

Post by ashman »

pleasureboy60 wrote: 03 Jan 2021, 11:00 :(
tonyp wrote: 03 Jan 2021, 02:56
pleasureboy60 wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 23:48 To be honest I don't give two hoots about a new stadium. It s not going to guarantee you a higher level of football. Just look at M K Dons.
But a new stadium is likely to bring in more income which is what the owners want to see.
And if we can make it into the second division we will see a higher level of football.
If the owners were wealthy enough to not need to sell the best players we would have a better chance of getting into the second division.
The only way you are going to generate more income is by playing in the championship and the away support other teams bring to the city . Not relying on the current 5-6000 regulars and season ticket holders.
To sustain a championship team you need good players and for a club like us you need to produce your own gifted talent., not sell them on everytime another club comes knocking.
We, like other clubs in the past think you can maintain a successful championship club without investment in better players. You only have to look at the three teams that went up from our league last year. Hardly any investment, very little money and there current league position warrants that!
I think we have a great youth system and it's now reeping the benefits and unearthing some great young talent. My point is that we need to keep these players and not be tempted to sell them on. If and it's a big if, we were to get into the championship, then these players could be our lifeline and have a major part in whether we can consolidate ourselves as a championship club.
I agree to a certain extent but keeping the club solvent must be the first requirement. After that, progression through to the Championship will bring its own rewards (stadium?) but getting there and staying there becomes the $64,000 question. How does a club like ours manage to do this?
It's all in a balance of wise investment, careful buying and selling, along with a determined board and manager and at the end of the day, a huge chunk of luck too!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'
Bluemike
Posts: 128
Joined: 09 Jan 2020, 20:04

Re: It's always about the Money

Post by Bluemike »

Your bit about "careful buying and selling" is what worries me Ashman. We have the perennial habit of selling the family silver when it comes to transfer window time. So I'm a little confused about how we can get out of League 1 when we constantly sell the players who can help to get us promoted AND keep us in the Championship.
Post Reply