Is Fergie the man to carry us forward?????

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

Is Fergie the man to carry us forward???

Yes
38%
No
56%
Unsure
6%

Total votes: 16

stumpy

Re: Is Fergie the man to carry us forward?????

Post by stumpy »

Mike Gibbs wrote: 14 Dec 2020, 17:32 at the moment surviving as a club is a priority. How successful have we been without Darren? I would suggest that we enjoy a better overall standard of football. Also I would suggest that some supporters learn to take the rough with the smooth - having been a supporter for 65 years I think that I speak with some authority. Football is an entertainment business - and guess what you can't please all of the people all of the time. Players come and go and rightly so if they are good enough to move on to a higher standard of football and at the same time it gives us some cash that's good business. And is the right way to treat players. Sometimes I have walked away at the end of a game and thought - hmm that was rubbish and then another time WOW that was brilliant - ALA away at Villa for example. So learn to live with the reality of supporting the Posh. So looking forward to the new stadium despite the fact that as a kid and now an OAP I have only known London Road. This club has ambition - lets celebrate that. Happy Christmas everyone and stay safe.
Welcome to the forum Mike. Although I have been a supporter for a mere 49 years, I do think that things changed when DMac bought the club. We set a record transfer fee for a non-league player, something that the Posh of the pre-DMac era could only have dreamed of. We have sold players for over £30 Million collectively, something that Jim Iley, Noel cantwell, Chris Turner, Peter Morris etc could only have dreamed of. We spent like the "Chelsea of the lower leagues" and achieved promotions to the championship (Only Chris turner had taken us there before but he was different. we can argue all day long whether fergie is a good manager or one who inherited a championship bound squad with a chairman willing to bankroll it and even Gary johnson and Steve Evans had us going in the direction of promotion before being sacked (many think both were awful managers). yes, the club now has ambition and in a global pandemic was the only League 1 club able and willing to spend yet, the performances have not been great, the recent Chorley cup knock out on of our worst results ever and, until DMac suggested what team to pick and what formation for Rochdale, our manager was flailing...we have an ambition that is backed by investment...we should be walking the league but we are not...nevertheless, I think we will get promoted whoever the manager is and most other league 1 managers agree (as they look on in envy)....Happy Christmas to you too and stay safe and healthy...up the posh!!
Bluemike

Post by Bluemike »

I totally see where you're coming from Mike in your post. Some of us disagree however about the person chosen (having been sacked twice) to take us into the Championship, and the selling policy of the board.
I'm just an average football fan who doesn't have a clue about the game and I may just be ignorant too....not my words.
It's not something that my wife, sons or grandsons have ever accused me of at LR, but maybe they've missed something. Welcome to the forum.
Wilco

Post by Wilco »

stumpy wrote: 14 Dec 2020, 16:19
tonyp wrote: 13 Dec 2020, 22:43
JohnC wrote: 13 Dec 2020, 22:15 It seems quite condescending to identify ‘the average football fan’ as ignorant
if you give football fans a rating out of five.
1. Totally ignorant
2 Quite ignorant
3 Ignorant
4 Knows a bit
5 Very knowledgable

It is not at all unreasonable to expect the average to come out at around 3.
Therefore Ashman is correct.
I'm pleased to drag the average upwards with my 5 rating but would say the "quite ignorant" fans seem to be the loudest... :wink:
Now that is the funniest thing you have every posted, so ironic :lol:
Wilco

Post by Wilco »

Bluemike wrote: 14 Dec 2020, 22:13 I totally see where you're coming from Mike in your post. Some of us disagree however about the person chosen (having been sacked twice) to take us into the Championship, and the selling policy of the board.
I'm just an average football fan who doesn't have a clue about the game and I may just be ignorant too....not my words.
It's not something that my wife, sons or grandsons have ever accused me of at LR, but maybe they've missed something. Welcome to the forum.
I understand why some don’t rate Fergie as a manager, Stumpy, Gaz and others have been banging on about reasons why for so long that their mantra (which is not based on fact) is becoming folklore.
I have also been a supporter for half a century and in my humble opinion, Mr Fergusson has provided some of the most entertaining football and some of the most memorable moments I have witnessed. Of our notable managers:
Noel Cantwell, absolute legend who payed a good brand of football but didn’t have the backing to finish what he started.
Peter Morris, not a legend but same MO as Noel.
Chris Turner, I maybe one of the few who was not happy when he arrived (ex Cambridge and all that) but what a remarkable job he did on limited resources. Huddersfield, Wembley and Derby away will never be forgotten.
Barry Fry, what a clown.
Gary Johnson, didn’t really shake up the football world as TFO suggested, a bit of a let down.
Steve Evans, despite his personality, I had high hopes that Posh would replicate the football we witnessed when his Rotherham team came to thrash us, but no, it was turgid football that had us going nowhere fast.
Grant Mcann, club legend who everyone wanted to succeed but things went downhill quickly and his time in charge culminated in the embarrassment against 9 man MK Dons ( much worse than losing at home to Chorley).
Darren Fergusson, I give you Hereford, Colchester, Old Trafford, Wembley, some of the best players to have played at London Road ( some of whom he signed himself). I honestly think the home game against Portsmouth last season was one of the best all round displays I’ve ever seen from a Posh team and, apart from Ivan Toney, it’s still the same team....so I’m confident Fergie can get us back on track in the next few games.
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

Wilco wrote: 14 Dec 2020, 22:51
stumpy wrote: 14 Dec 2020, 16:19

1. Totally ignorant
2 Quite ignorant
3 Ignorant
4 Knows a bit
5 Very knowledgable

I'm pleased to drag the average upwards with my 5 rating but would say the "quite ignorant" fans seem to be the loudest... :wink:
Now that is the funniest thing you have every posted, so ironic :lol:
I aim to please (and having that 5 rating allows the irony)
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

Wilco wrote: 14 Dec 2020, 23:15
Bluemike wrote: 14 Dec 2020, 22:13 I totally see where you're coming from Mike in your post. Some of us disagree however about the person chosen (having been sacked twice) to take us into the Championship, and the selling policy of the board.
I understand why some don’t rate Fergie as a manager, Stumpy, Gaz and others have been banging on about reasons why for so long that their mantra (which is not based on fact) is becoming folklore.
I have also been a supporter for half a century and in my humble opinion, Mr Fergusson has provided some of the most entertaining football and some of the most memorable moments I have witnessed. Of our notable managers:
Noel Cantwell, absolute legend who payed a good brand of football but didn’t have the backing to finish what he started.
Peter Morris, not a legend but same MO as Noel.
Chris Turner, I maybe one of the few who was not happy when he arrived (ex Cambridge and all that) but what a remarkable job he did on limited resources. Huddersfield, Wembley and Derby away will never be forgotten.
Barry Fry, what a clown.
Gary Johnson, didn’t really shake up the football world as TFO suggested, a bit of a let down.
Steve Evans, despite his personality, I had high hopes that Posh would replicate the football we witnessed when his Rotherham team came to thrash us, but no, it was turgid football that had us going nowhere fast.
Grant Mcann, club legend who everyone wanted to succeed but things went downhill quickly and his time in charge culminated in the embarrassment against 9 man MK Dons ( much worse than losing at home to Chorley).
Darren Fergusson, I give you Hereford, Colchester, Old Trafford, Wembley, some of the best players to have played at London Road ( some of whom he signed himself). I honestly think the home game against Portsmouth last season was one of the best all round displays I’ve ever seen from a Posh team and, apart from Ivan Toney, it’s still the same team....so I’m confident Fergie can get us back on track in the next few games.
You see, I agree with almost all of this.
Wilco

Post by Wilco »

[/quote]

I aim to please (and having that 5 rating allows the irony)
[/quote]

:clap2:
DaveLister
Second Technician

Post by DaveLister »

JohnC wrote: 13 Dec 2020, 22:15 It seems quite condescending to identify ‘the average football fan’ as ignorant
1. Totally ignorant
2 Quite ignorant
3 Ignorant
4 Knows a bit
5 Very knowledgable

Agreed Tony, however numbers 2 and 3 demonstrate said ignorance by claiming to be 5
ashman

Post by ashman »

DaveLister wrote: 15 Dec 2020, 20:06
1. Totally ignorant
2 Quite ignorant
3 Ignorant
4 Knows a bit
5 Very knowledgable

Agreed Tony, however numbers 2 and 3 demonstrate said ignorance by claiming to be 5
Now, now chaps! Play nicely please! :wink: :D
'Everybody needs to have a friend'
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

DaveLister wrote: 15 Dec 2020, 20:06
1. Totally ignorant
2 Quite ignorant
3 Ignorant
4 Knows a bit
5 Very knowledgable

When you're very knowledgable, it's hard to read some of the tosh people post but I've learned to live with it
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

After last nights abject display I wonder whether Fergie has the slightest clue how to manage a group of players, and how to get them to perform as a team. Yes last night we had four young academy players, but they were all very good. We brought on two million pound strikers to join another million pound striker, and despite our so called superior players we were completely denominated in just about every aspect of the game. Taking off early your star player for making a couple of minor errors. He had set the ball rolling for only goal, against the run of play. In such filthy conditions using all five substitutes with about half an hour to go was irresponsible. As was proved later as Taylor started limping and according to the commentators was a virtual passenger. The trouble with watching a game on iPlayer is you can’t see what’s going on off the ball, but apparently his contribution to the midfield was negligible. We got away with a point in a game with the help of a very biased referee we should have won easily. All the first half decisions seemed to favour Posh, the booking for their players should have had them walking on eggshells. Yet we offered no threat whatsoever. Possibly one reason was two games in three days was too much for our young platers, but then who picked them. Those that argue that Ferguson is not good enough certainly had a lot more fuel to add to their already smouldering bonfire.
I don't judge people on race, religion, gender,
ability or size, I judge them on whether or not
they're a prat!
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

bristleposh wrote: 16 Dec 2020, 11:37 After last nights abject display I wonder whether Fergie has the slightest clue how to manage a group of players, and how to get them to perform as a team. Yes last night we had four young academy players, but they were all very good. We brought on two million pound strikers to join another million pound striker, and despite our so called superior players we were completely denominated in just about every aspect of the game. Taking off early your star player for making a couple of minor errors. He had set the ball rolling for only goal, against the run of play. In such filthy conditions using all five substitutes with about half an hour to go was irresponsible. As was proved later as Taylor started limping and according to the commentators was a virtual passenger. The trouble with watching a game on iPlayer is you can’t see what’s going on off the ball, but apparently his contribution to the midfield was negligible. We got away with a point in a game with the help of a very biased referee we should have won easily. All the first half decisions seemed to favour Posh, the booking for their players should have had them walking on eggshells. Yet we offered no threat whatsoever. Possibly one reason was two games in three days was too much for our young platers, but then who picked them. Those that argue that Ferguson is not good enough certainly had a lot more fuel to add to their already smouldering bonfire.
He's just an average lower league/non-league manager who has inherited some serious financial backing and some very, very good players in his stints at Posh....not the worst manager ever, just average....he messed up royally with the subs last night
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

stumpy wrote: 16 Dec 2020, 16:33
bristleposh wrote: 16 Dec 2020, 11:37 After last nights abject display I wonder whether Fergie has the slightest clue how to manage a group of players, and how to get them to perform as a team. Yes last night we had four young academy players, but they were all very good. We brought on two million pound strikers to join another million pound striker, and despite our so called superior players we were completely denominated in just about every aspect of the game. Taking off early your star player for making a couple of minor errors. He had set the ball rolling for only goal, against the run of play. In such filthy conditions using all five substitutes with about half an hour to go was irresponsible. As was proved later as Taylor started limping and according to the commentators was a virtual passenger. The trouble with watching a game on iPlayer is you can’t see what’s going on off the ball, but apparently his contribution to the midfield was negligible. We got away with a point in a game with the help of a very biased referee we should have won easily. All the first half decisions seemed to favour Posh, the booking for their players should have had them walking on eggshells. Yet we offered no threat whatsoever. Possibly one reason was two games in three days was too much for our young platers, but then who picked them. Those that argue that Ferguson is not good enough certainly had a lot more fuel to add to their already smouldering bonfire.
He's just an average lower league/non-league manager who has inherited some serious financial backing and some very, very good players in his stints at Posh....not the worst manager ever, just average....he messed up royally with the subs last night
With the players and the budget we have a manager of above average must surely be the goal
I don't judge people on race, religion, gender,
ability or size, I judge them on whether or not
they're a prat!
Bluemike

Post by Bluemike »

This is a contentious and emotive thread and frankly there will never be agreement amongst posh supporters (Ashmans comments back that statement up).

I cheer a win as good as the next person on this forum and if we were, by some miracle, to go on the mother of all winning streaks under Fergie, that would be great......however with what I'm seeing him doing, with this uber expensive group of players, I don't think it's gonna happen.

My fear is that we get promoted, sell our best players (as is the norm) and get hammered every Saturday in the Championship. Were that to happen, then I'd guess that that may cause Dmac to sack an already twice-sacked manager.

Which brings me to my main fear. It is the fear of not having a clue why Dmac takes this manager who he sacked twice and gives him a third chance. What does he see in Fergie that I can't? Why does he think that Fergie is the best man for the job? Out of all the other managers that could manage Posh, what does he think that Fergie has that they don't?
DaveLister
Second Technician

Post by DaveLister »

Fergie has proved before that he can get us out of this division. The problem is, he can't keep us in the championship, even with the increased budget we'll have. Like BlueMike, I fear an annual relegation battle if we do go up again.