Is Fergie the man to carry us forward?????

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

Is Fergie the man to carry us forward???

Yes
38%
No
56%
Unsure
6%

Total votes: 16

bristleposh

Re: Is Fergie the man to carry us forward?????

Post by bristleposh »

Gaz_Miller wrote: 09 Dec 2020, 20:24

Also, hysterical to see the clique clambering to vote for Ferguson to try to balance the poll.
I assure you there is no such thing as a clique on this board. I voted no, because I don’t think he is the right person, however I don’t pay the piper, if DMac wants him sadly we’re stuck with him.
I don't judge people on race, religion, gender,
ability or size, I judge them on whether or not
they're a prat!
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

bristleposh wrote: 09 Dec 2020, 22:19
stumpy wrote: 09 Dec 2020, 21:32
pleasureboy60 wrote: 09 Dec 2020, 20:48 It will be interesting to see how many of the team that played last night get the opportunity to play against Rochdale on Saturday. Fergie was full of praise for the majority of the team that played, but I'm guessing he will go with his unperforming favourites yet again.
I think he needs to make a statement. Kanu and Burrows as wing backs, Hamilton alongside Taylor, Clarke in for Szmodics and maybe even Eisa in for Dembele......Edwards for Kent or Beevers would be very brave as well
I take it you saw my post on Facebook in case you didn’t “ I know it doesn't really work, but for Rochdale I'd start Pym, Kanu, Thompson, Edwards, Kent, Burrows, Hamilton, Taylor, Szmodics, Eisa, JCH.” only Clarke for Szmodics differs from my suggestion
Didn't see your Facebook but I would send Szmodics a message - he's been very poor this season....Clarke links the play well....
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

He has been poorer than last season, but there is certainly a player in there who works very hard, I’d say one more chance then Clarke.
they're a prat!
Wilco

Post by Wilco »

[/quote]

Haven’t read the article yet, but those quotes totally contradict themselves.

Also, hysterical to see the clique clambering to vote for Ferguson to try to balance the poll.
[/quote]

Is that aimed at me because I voted yes? I do hope so, I’ve never been part of a clique before :D
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

Wilco wrote: 10 Dec 2020, 10:24
Haven’t read the article yet, but those quotes totally contradict themselves.

[/quote]

Is that aimed at me because I voted yes? I do hope so, I’ve never been part of a clique before :D
[/quote]

The clique is enjoying today as though we won the FA Cup final - I'm enjoying it because for 45 minutes, we showed what we have been waiting for all season - The fee for Szmodics would have bought all of Rochdale's team and the bench...we gotta keep this up. As for Fergie, he's going nowhere so we will have to put up with his averageness and hope that the clear league 1 favorites live up to the hype more often...today though, was a good day for fergie and all Posh fans
ashman

Post by ashman »

The last month or so seems to back up my thoughts that the average football fan really doesn't have a clue about the game they love. A winning run of games and the team and manager are saints and a run of four or five defeats means that the players are overpriced and the manager is clueless.
Nearly all teams go through troughs and peaks and very often there is no obvious reason for either. The Posh are no different to many other teams. The fans just need to stick by the players and manager and show them that they are worthy of being at the club. Some of the s**t that has been thrown at the club in the recent past is ridiculous.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

ashman wrote: 12 Dec 2020, 21:46 The last month or so seems to back up my thoughts that the average football fan really doesn't have a clue about the game they love. A winning run of games and the team and manager are saints and a run of four or five defeats means that the players are overpriced and the manager is clueless.
Nearly all teams go through troughs and peaks and very often there is no obvious reason for either. The Posh are no different to many other teams. The fans just need to stick by the players and manager and show them that they are worthy of being at the club. Some of the s**t that has been thrown at the club in the recent past is ridiculous.
The facts here are simple. Wee sold a player for millions in the midst of a pandemic. Unlike other league 1 clubs, that gave us a platform to invest. We have a very expensively assembled squad and had Eisa and Szmodics on the bench today...millions of pounds of value on the bench :cry: If you listen to managers up and down the country, they name posh as the club that will get promoted. then, we get sussed by Bayern Crewe Madrid, Chorley, Wimbledon and supporters start to question the manager - it's normal and it's warranted. What's not normal is fans supporting the manager whatever is happening on the pitch - even Man utd are questioning the value of their manager and they are in as good a position as us in their league....fact is, fergie has not produced a vengeance tour to get excited about despite the quality of the players. Even Fergie accepts that it has not been good enough...aside from that, your post was accurate :lol:
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

ashman wrote: 12 Dec 2020, 21:46 The last month or so seems to back up my thoughts that the average football fan really doesn't have a clue about the game they love. A winning run of games and the team and manager are saints and a run of four or five defeats means that the players are overpriced and the manager is clueless.
This post seems to be cut from the same patronising cloth as
'I sometimes wonder if some of the posters on here have ever watched, enjoyed, shouted, rejoiced, sworn, smiled etc. at the game of football.'

It seems quite condescending to identify ‘the average football fan’ as ignorant, and it’s hubris to implicitly except oneself from the category of the ‘average’ fan. Who decided that?

Given that much of the first third of the season featured PUFC football which was turgid and patience-taxing, I didn’t notice any general impulse towards canonisation. The manager himself suggested that we’d been ‘getting away with’ repeated slow starts. When the defeats started coming, fans with memories of recent seasons’ Christmas/New Year slumps worried that this season’s slump had started early. Underlying this is the awareness that another early termination of the season might leave us out in the cold. At the moment, ppg would leave us in sixth place, with Charlton and Accrington passing us. If Charlton, Doncaster and Accrington were to win their games in hand, we’d find ourselves in familiar, frustrating territory: seventh place.

Expressing negative or critical opinions is not tantamount to treachery or disloyalty or ignorance. Splice together a few of the manager’s own post-match (Crewe, Blackpool, Chorley,) comments and you’d have quite a lengthy string of critical comments.

Maybe it’s worth reflecting on one of the Rochdale manager’s post-match comments:
We don’t hide from the fact we are on a different playing field to them financially….’

Possibly he’d looked over at our bench and seen about £2.3 million in the shape of Eisa and Szmodics sitting there. Even an 'average football fan' could work out the ramifications of that.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

JohnC wrote: 13 Dec 2020, 22:15 It seems quite condescending to identify ‘the average football fan’ as ignorant
if you give football fans a rating out of five.
1. Totally ignorant
2 Quite ignorant
3 Ignorant
4 Knows a bit
5 Very knowledgable

It is not at all unreasonable to expect the average to come out at around 3.
Therefore Ashman is correct.
White G

Post by White G »

tonyp wrote: 13 Dec 2020, 22:43
JohnC wrote: 13 Dec 2020, 22:15 It seems quite condescending to identify ‘the average football fan’ as ignorant
1. Totally ignorant
2 Quite ignorant
3 Ignorant
4 Knows a bit
5 Very knowledgable

Eat your words JohnC, Tony's table puts it all in perspective!🙄
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

White G wrote: 14 Dec 2020, 07:42
1. Totally ignorant
2 Quite ignorant
3 Ignorant
4 Knows a bit
5 Very knowledgable

Eat your words JohnC, Tony's table puts it all in perspective!🙄
As tables goes, it’s certainly a rickety, Formica-inspired construct; I wouldn’t care to put too much weight on it. There’s a certain mean-spirited insistence on linking the words ‘football fan’ and ‘ignorant’ to which I can’t warm. I thumbed through the IKEA catalogue in search of a sturdier model, and came up with:

Uninformed
Ill-informed
Dllettante
Au Fait
Cognoscenti

Not an ignoramus in sight.
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

JohnC wrote: 14 Dec 2020, 13:50
As tables goes, it’s certainly a rickety, Formica-inspired construct; I wouldn’t care to put too much weight on it. There’s a certain mean-spirited insistence on linking the words ‘football fan’ and ‘ignorant’ to which I can’t warm. I thumbed through the IKEA catalogue in search of a sturdier model, and came up with:

Uninformed
Ill-informed
Dllettante
Au Fait
Cognoscenti

Not an ignoramus in sight.
I'm here in Bristol
they're a prat!
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

1. Totally ignorant
2 Quite ignorant
3 Ignorant
4 Knows a bit
5 Very knowledgable

I'm pleased to drag the average upwards with my 5 rating but would say the "quite ignorant" fans seem to be the loudest... :wink:
Mike Gibbs

Post by Mike Gibbs »

at the moment surviving as a club is a priority. How successful have we been without Darren? I would suggest that we enjoy a better overall standard of football. Also I would suggest that some supporters learn to take the rough with the smooth - having been a supporter for 65 years I think that I speak with some authority. Football is an entertainment business - and guess what you can't please all of the people all of the time. Players come and go and rightly so if they are good enough to move on to a higher standard of football and at the same time it gives us some cash that's good business. And is the right way to treat players. Sometimes I have walked away at the end of a game and thought - hmm that was rubbish and then another time WOW that was brilliant - ALA away at Villa for example. So learn to live with the reality of supporting the Posh. So looking forward to the new stadium despite the fact that as a kid and now an OAP I have only known London Road. This club has ambition - lets celebrate that. Happy Christmas everyone and stay safe.
ashman

Post by ashman »

Mike Gibbs wrote: 14 Dec 2020, 17:32 at the moment surviving as a club is a priority. How successful have we been without Darren? I would suggest that we enjoy a better overall standard of football. Also I would suggest that some supporters learn to take the rough with the smooth - having been a supporter for 65 years I think that I speak with some authority. Football is an entertainment business - and guess what you can't please all of the people all of the time. Players come and go and rightly so if they are good enough to move on to a higher standard of football and at the same time it gives us some cash that's good business. And is the right way to treat players. Sometimes I have walked away at the end of a game and thought - hmm that was rubbish and then another time WOW that was brilliant - ALA away at Villa for example. So learn to live with the reality of supporting the Posh. So looking forward to the new stadium despite the fact that as a kid and now an OAP I have only known London Road. This club has ambition - lets celebrate that. Happy Christmas everyone and stay safe.
Well said sir. :comeon:

... and welcome to the forum!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'