Siriki Dembele

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

Gaz_Miller

Siriki Dembele

Post by Gaz_Miller »

True to form, in groundhog season #8, it looks as though we are determined to cash in on our latest prize asset...

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/spo ... ow-3059409

...it's getting boring now. And Taylor being promoted in the same breath, as well as a couple of the youngsters.

Are we supposed to support the club or just watch in admiration at how much money they can turn over?
“Apology is not about saying I'm sorry, but it is about the meaning you put behind the apology and admitting that you are the wrong part.”
― Unarine Ramaru
ashman

Re: Siriki Dembele

Post by ashman »

Oh dear. I know it's not my money but when will DMac learn that selling our star players never seems to work. That's Ryan Bennett, CMS, McLean, Gayle, Assombalonga, (Washington) (Leo) Tomlin, Marriott, Toney etc. all bringing money into the club and we are still in roughly the same position we were in ten years ago. Dembele and Taylor look as if they may become the next to move on. Nevermind we still have RJJ to keep us going!
I'm beginning to change my mind about the manner in which we manage the club. I know that the powers that be have made our club into a well resourced club but surely the end product should be to get up into the Championship owning a brand new stadium?
To me this is looking more and more unlikely all the time!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'
Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller »

ashman wrote: 07 Dec 2020, 12:11 Oh dear. I know it's not my money but when will DMac learn that selling our star players never seems to work. That's Ryan Bennett, CMS, McLean, Gayle, Assombalonga, (Washington) (Leo) Tomlin, Marriott, Toney etc. all bringing money into the club and we are still in roughly the same position we were in ten years ago. Dembele and Taylor look as if they may become the next to move on. Nevermind we still have RJJ to keep us going!
I'm beginning to change my mind about the manner in which we manage the club. I know that the powers that be have made our club into a well resourced club but surely the end product should be to get up into the Championship owning a brand new stadium?
To me this is looking more and more unlikely all the time!
Wow - I never thought I'd see the day :shock:

However, I suspect you are right. It all feels more like running a business to appease share holders than it does running a football club with ambitions of progressing up the leagues.

The amount of money that has changed hands since the chairman arrived has been astronomical compared to all other lower league clubs, but we've hardly achieved anything on the pitch - certainly not in the last ten years.

With a brand new stadium on the horizon, surely now is the time to hold onto those prize assets & really have a go at cementing our place as a regular Championship team? But what do we do instead? Shout from the rooftops that Dembele is good enough for the Premier League. Tell all & sundry that we have a midfielder in the waiting. Brag that we have at least two other youngsters coming through worth millions.

As I said, it's groundhog day/season yet again. I'm getting extremely bored with it now.
“Apology is not about saying I'm sorry, but it is about the meaning you put behind the apology and admitting that you are the wrong part.”
― Unarine Ramaru
HantsPosh

Post by HantsPosh »

If we don’t sell these players how do they pay for stadium? Tbh I won’t be disappointed to see Dembele leave in the same way I wasn’t when Washington had a good couple of months and QPR paid massively over the odds for him, hopefully it’s the same here.
Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller »

This model isn’t new because of the stadium, it’s been the model to run the club from day one.

And it isn’t working - not in a football sense. It might be pleasing the owners, but any true fan should be getting very concerned.
― Unarine Ramaru
HantsPosh

Post by HantsPosh »

I agree it's been the model from day one & worked initially as you say but now we're spending a million plus on Sammie, Mo & JCH so they're even deviating from the young hungry & cheap model lately and Nathan Thompson doesn't fit that criteria either, even if he is one of the best players we've got, or Beevers for that matter.

tbh I'd be happy to get the new stadium then that will increase revenue with increased sponsorship and hospitality revenue & higher attendances thus gate receipts hopefully. That said you do get fed up with the hyperbole about players like Da Silva Lopes, Chris Forrester, Dembele etc etc being sold to pay for the ground because they are the next Cristiano Ronaldo.
Bluemike

Post by Bluemike »

This has been a worrying trend now for many years. We get good players in, they score for fun and tie up opposing defenders. We then sell them on and the board pats itself on the back for making a profit - I think most members of this forum can come up with a list of those players.

Yet at the same time our board members go on about our priority being to get into the Championship. You can't have it both ways.

The last few years have convinced me more and more that we are, and will remain, a League 1 side. We may end up with a fancy new stadium but it'll be other League 1 clubs that get to see it sadly.
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

There are a few grumblings that Dembele has gone off the boil in recent weeks but I disagree. He is our one true dangerman and has attracted a great deal of attention from defenders across th division - stop Siriki and you stop Posh. Despite this, he expertly set up JCH for the only win in 6 games and continues to be a threat. He can try too much (Q: pass to Szmodics or try to beat two more players? A: Try to beat two more players because Szmodics is poo) and it doesn't always come off but he is our best player - If he goes after losing Toney and Maddison, it's gonna be a long season
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

Can anyone confirm my suspicions concerning Dembele's contractual status at PUFC?

My understanding is that he signed a three-year contract with us in June 2018. As far as I know, that contract has not been extended or renewed.
This means that he could sign a (cut-price) pre-contract agreement with any other club in January, or leave for nothing in June 2021.
In any case, the Grimsby chairman is on the record as follows:
'Town chairman Philip Day has revealed to BBC Radio Humberside that the club hold a 25 per cent selling-on clause following Dembele’s move to Peterborough in 2018.'
If this is the case, unless Dembele reviews his contractual position with us (and why would he, given our current situation?), then the best we can hope for, in financial terms, is 75% of not very much at all in January.

It makes me ponder the statements the chairman has made about the player recently.
First there was: ‘We’ve already identified his replacement should he leave us for £15 million or whatever…'
Then we've had:
Siriki will be the next one we sell to the Premier League. In fact one club is desperate to sign him and I’ve told them to come back in January and then next summer….
….We don’t want to sell him in January, but without a bailout we’d have had to do what’s best for the club.’[

I'm not even sure what 'I've told them to come back in January and then next summer' actually means.

I've touched on the issue of Dembele's contractual situation before, twice.
In mu First-Quarter report, I posted:
'Siriki Dembele’s seventeen-year old brother Karamoko is out of contract with Celtic at the end of the season. He’s highly-regarded there, but that esteem hasn’t translated into much playing time. Secure promotion, extend Sirike’s contract and sign Karamoko (permanently, preferably; on loan otherwise): that’ll do nicely, Santa.'

and in my reaction to the Chorley debacle, I said
'The potential Dembele brothers reunion about which I’ve posted on more than one occasion is now being discussed more frequently north of the border. Unfortunately, the scenario being mooted is Siriki signing a pre-contract agreement with Celtic in January prior to joining Karamoko at the end of the season. Is Siriki’s contract up at the end of this season? If so, I wouldn’t put too much faith in the Chairman’s kite-flying: ‘….should he leave us for £15 million or whatever….’ Still, a little hot air helps to ward off the Autumnal chills….'

With the intemperate promptings of our garrulous chairman in mind, some fans may be dreaming of a Toney-level windfall.

Can someone reassure me that I'm wrong (there's always a first time) about this? If so, I'll gladly apologise, and willingly withdraw any slight suggestion that anyone is behaving in a less-than-candid manner over this.
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

JohnC wrote: 07 Dec 2020, 23:01 Can anyone confirm my suspicions concerning Dembele's contractual status at PUFC?

My understanding is that he signed a three-year contract with us in June 2018. As far as I know, that contract has not been extended or renewed.
This means that he could sign a (cut-price) pre-contract agreement with any other club in January, or leave for nothing in June 2021.
In any case, the Grimsby chairman is on the record as follows:
'Town chairman Philip Day has revealed to BBC Radio Humberside that the club hold a 25 per cent selling-on clause following Dembele’s move to Peterborough in 2018.'
If this is the case, unless Dembele reviews his contractual position with us (and why would he, given our current situation?), then the best we can hope for, in financial terms, is 75% of not very much at all in January.

It makes me ponder the statements the chairman has made about the player recently.
First there was: ‘We’ve already identified his replacement should he leave us for £15 million or whatever…'
Then we've had:
Siriki will be the next one we sell to the Premier League. In fact one club is desperate to sign him and I’ve told them to come back in January and then next summer….
….We don’t want to sell him in January, but without a bailout we’d have had to do what’s best for the club.’[

I'm not even sure what 'I've told them to come back in January and then next summer' actually means.

I've touched on the issue of Dembele's contractual situation before, twice.
In mu First-Quarter report, I posted:
'Siriki Dembele’s seventeen-year old brother Karamoko is out of contract with Celtic at the end of the season. He’s highly-regarded there, but that esteem hasn’t translated into much playing time. Secure promotion, extend Sirike’s contract and sign Karamoko (permanently, preferably; on loan otherwise): that’ll do nicely, Santa.'

and in my reaction to the Chorley debacle, I said
'The potential Dembele brothers reunion about which I’ve posted on more than one occasion is now being discussed more frequently north of the border. Unfortunately, the scenario being mooted is Siriki signing a pre-contract agreement with Celtic in January prior to joining Karamoko at the end of the season. Is Siriki’s contract up at the end of this season? If so, I wouldn’t put too much faith in the Chairman’s kite-flying: ‘….should he leave us for £15 million or whatever….’ Still, a little hot air helps to ward off the Autumnal chills….'

With the intemperate promptings of our garrulous chairman in mind, some fans may be dreaming of a Toney-level windfall.

Can someone reassure me that I'm wrong (there's always a first time) about this? If so, I'll gladly apologise, and willingly withdraw any slight suggestion that anyone is behaving in a less-than-candid manner over this.
Good post that John...I don't think you're wrong
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

JohnC wrote: 07 Dec 2020, 23:01

I think you're wrong. I don't believe that there are any fans on this or the other message board who are dreaming of a Toney-level windfall. There may be some fans out there who think that but I doubt it.
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

What surprises me is that some folks don't understand that we are a selling club. Why we sold Courtino and Suarez to Barcelona or Christiano Ronaldo to Real Madrid. Every club in the World is a selling club if they can make money for their owners or shareholders. We are not alone, it's sad but that's the way the swings and arrows fall.
I don't judge people on race, religion, gender,
ability or size, I judge them on whether or not
they're a prat!
Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller »

bristleposh wrote: 08 Dec 2020, 10:44 What surprises me is that some folks don't understand that we are a selling club. Why we sold Courtino and Suarez to Barcelona or Christiano Ronaldo to Real Madrid. Every club in the World is a selling club if they can make money for their owners or shareholders. We are not alone, it's sad but that's the way the swings and arrows fall.
That's an unbelievably poor comparison Bristle.

Liverpool & Man Utd didn't actively go out & sign Suarez & Ronaldo so they could sell them a few years later at a profit, whereas we do it with every single player.

Also, I'm not sure how any other League 1 or 2 club has survived the last twenty years. We must have made millions & millions, yet the owners are still saying Dembele may have to go to balance the books. That's only six months after we sold Toney for £10m! How on earth are other clubs surviving at all?
― Unarine Ramaru
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

I have no idea perhaps ask the supporters of Southend and Bury, Wigan and Bolton. None but a few survive we have a working model that sees us win more than we lose most seasons
I don't judge people on race, religion, gender,
ability or size, I judge them on whether or not
they're a prat!
Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller »

That's alright then.
― Unarine Ramaru