Defenders

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

JohnC

Defenders

Post by JohnC »

Do we need help? No other team in the top ten has conceded as many goals as we have.
In our last five L1 games, we’ve scored three and conceded eight. (Add in the Chorley game and the tally is four for and ten against.) Six times this L1 season we’ve conceded twice, and – self-evidently – those represent six games in which we’d have had to have scored three goals to win. We’ve only scored three or more goals in a game twice (against Swindon, with the aid of a penalty, and against Shrewsbury, who played the second half with ten men; they also conceded a penalty. If we can’t break the run of conceding twice in a game, maybe our defenders could compensate at the other end. Thompson, Butler, Mason, FBT, Beevers and Kent have combined to contribute three goals in seventy-four appearances.

Elsewhere – Carlisle, to be exact – Rhys Bennett has three goals in five L2 appearances. Even Sammy (Manana) Szmodics might be happy with that kind of scoring outburst.

We have Naismith waiting in the background – apparently our fifth-best fullback. In January, Bennett’s contract with Carlisle expires. Would it be sensible (and possible), to call up Naismith and seek to re-sign Bennett in January? For probably zero transfer fee outlay, these moves potentially strengthen our defensive group in both penalty areas.

There’s one worrying thought, though: (financial considerations aside) why would Bennett want to leave Carlisle for Peterborough?
ashman

Re: Defenders

Post by ashman »

Now you are being silly! :wink: :)
'Everybody needs to have a friend'
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

ashman wrote: 06 Dec 2020, 20:29 Now you are being silly! :wink: :)
In what way(s)?
Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller »

I believe Bennett is just as good as Beevers & Naismith is very unlucky not to get a look in.

Likewise, O'Hara is better than Hamilton & Broom.

Godden is ten times better than Eisa or Sammie & definitely as good as JCH.

All in all, some very good business done by the chipmunk.
“Apology is not about saying I'm sorry, but it is about the meaning you put behind the apology and admitting that you are the wrong part.”
― Unarine Ramaru
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

Gaz_Miller wrote: 06 Dec 2020, 21:47 I believe Bennett is just as good as Beevers & Naismith is very unlucky not to get a look in.

Likewise, O'Hara is better than Hamilton & Broom.

Godden is ten times better than Eisa or Sammie & definitely as good as JCH.

All in all, some very good business done by the chipmunk.
I demur somewhat over Eisa. Twenty-three games (the presumptive halfway point) into last season, Eisa had 13 L1 goals (15 in all 28 appearances) and Toney had 14 L1 goals (15 in all twenty-eight appearances). Nothing to choose between them as far as goal-scoring was concerned. Now Toney is arguably the most celebrated striker outside the EPL and Eisa can’t make the bench against Wimbledon. I have no idea what happened. He’s gone over a cliff, but did he jump? Was he pushed?
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

Consider these two scenarios, one of which is hypothetical:

1. In the closing minutes of a cup tie in which you trail by a goal and are facing the most ignominious F.A. Cup defeat in the club’s history, you throw your centre-half up front in search of an equaliser. That man is Mark Beevers, who at that point was goalless in all his fifty-three games for Posh. Outcome? No further goals.

2. In the last match of the regular season, you need a goal in the closing minutes to secure promotion/a play-off spot. Beevers (still goalless) is on the pitch. Bennett is on the bench.
Your call.

Alternatively, in the same scenario as #2, both Beevers and Bennett are on the bench. Who ya gonna call? GhostBeevers?
Last edited by JohnC on 07 Dec 2020, 00:10, edited 1 time in total.
HantsPosh

Post by HantsPosh »

Ideally neither player would be at the club! Bennett improved after the Chuckle Brothers were fired but couldn’t have been any worse to be fair.

I agree 100% about Eisa and the manager must take a large portion of the blame for what’s happened to his form. His pet JCH can do no wrong and is completely untouchable whereas Eisa must feel as though he has to score 3 every game to even be mentioned in the same breath as Fergie’s new toy. Eisa was supposedly the reason Godden was sold, who unlike JCH, now plays in the Championship. Fergie is like a child at Christmas and gets bored very quickly with his new toys so fingers crossed the same happens with JCH. I’m rooting for Eisa and hope he comes good, given the same opportunities that JCH receives I’m sure he will.

I don’t understand at all what Naismith has done wrong other than be an Evans signing. Evans signed some utter poop as we know but Naismith was not one of them. Fergie cannot honestly say that FBT is better and as for Mason well...............
Gaz_Miller

Jason Naismith

Post by Gaz_Miller »

Very unlucky for this guy no fitting in with the current manager. Certainly better than two or three defenders currently at the club.

https://www.theposh.com/news/2020/decem ... arts-posh/
“Apology is not about saying I'm sorry, but it is about the meaning you put behind the apology and admitting that you are the wrong part.”
― Unarine Ramaru
HantsPosh

Post by HantsPosh »

Fergie running out of excuses now as just like Evans before him he’s purging everyone else’s players and this is HIS squad hand picked by him. Good luck to Naismith, a likeable chap and a good footballer.