AFC Wimbledon v Posh moved....

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

Gaz_Miller

Re: AFC Wimbledon v Posh moved....

Post by Gaz_Miller »

Just watched the managers post-match interview. They really could have put any interview up from the past three seasons around this time of year.

Same excuses, same lame interview.

He's done at Posh. We HAVE to move on from Darren Ferguson just like we had to move on from CMS, McLean, Tomlin & Boyd. The chairman is stuck in the past, living on nostalgia. However, he isn't showing any signs of being able to put the past behind him & concentrate on a new dawn.

I really hope this isn't MacAnthony's legacy - Fergie from ten years ago & the holy trinity.
“Apology is not about saying I'm sorry, but it is about the meaning you put behind the apology and admitting that you are the wrong part.”
― Unarine Ramaru
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

Million pound Eisa out of the squad tonight and Fergie explained that it was not an injury and he has spoken to him and he understands...a damning choice as JCH was limping towards the end and we brought on Kanu with 17 year old Clarke on the bench...Fergie liking the performance except for the lack of ruthlessness in both boxes...he's probably right but this was Wimbledon FFS...we should be dominating teams like this and beating them...Szmodics looking like a real dud and poor old Broom chugs away but makes Joe Ward look like Ronaldo...
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

JohnC wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 22:30 Still, 'we were by far the better team and were all over them', so that's all right.
Are you disputing the fact that we were the better team? Or that we were all over them?
Or are you suggesting that we should think that's all right?
I watched the game and we were, in my opinion, the better team. And we had by far the majority of possession. There were pink shirts everywhere.
They didn't deserve to win, in my opinion.
And I don't consider that all right.
As stumpy says "we should be dominating teams like this and beating them". We dominated them but we didn't beat them.
bristleposh

Post by bristleposh »

Every time we have a poor result, the usual suspects demand change at the top. We were awful again in the penalty area at both ends of the pitch. We have a million pound striker who can do very little apart from take a good free kick. We have a showboater who thinks he’s worth millions but in truth contributes very little, apart from Eisa another million pound acquisition he contributes less pro-rata than any other player on the pitch. Maddison was made to look good by the excellent forwards he had running for him. We have nothing anywhere close Godden, Marriott, even Cummings, let alone Toney who strove to make something out of nothing every time. If JCH, Eisa, or Dembele put in half the effort to get on the end of balls from any of our other eight players we might get somewhere. I leave Szmodics out of the particular criticism as he does make the effort, he is just, at the moment at least, lacking any luck or faith in his own ability.
Every Posh fan has their favourites and those that they don’t like, Brown, Reed, Broom, Ward, Blake-Tracey, Hamilton, all have their knockers. In truth Thompson and possibly Kent and Taylor along with Pym who tend to escape too much criticism. We have some good youngsters coming through and the sooner they are put in the team and the team built around the last four mentioned the more chance we will have of becoming successful.
We should leave Dembele out of the starting line up until after Christmas, making excuses for his absences, and then flog him to the highest bidder. Get Eisa a loan move, to a league two side, leave Beevers out of the side and install Thompson as captain. Edwards, Clarke, and Jones need to step up.
I don't judge people on race, religion, gender,
ability or size, I judge them on whether or not
they're a prat!
Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller »

Letting Godden leave was a HUGE mistake - and that's not in hindsight, many said it at the time.

Is Beevers any better than Bennett? Is Hamilton any better than O'Hara? Is Brown any better than Reed?

Broom is worse than my Nan & Sczmodics is so poor that we are now clambering for a 17 year old to replace him. Blake-Tracey would struggle to get back in at Kings Lynn.

The issue is obvious. Ferguson just cannot sign players. His success at the club has been on the back of inheriting Championship players. First time he got Micah Hyde & the trinity (in League 2) & second time he got CMS, Boyd & Tomlin in their prime & Grant McCann pulling all the strings in midfield. This time he got Toney & Dembele - the first of whom is arguably the best ever Posh player worth much more than the 10 million we let him go for.

I've seen some comments saying sell Dembele & let Fergie spend the money on two or three to replace him. NOOOO!! Don't give him another penny to waste.

The owners need to sit down & realise that we need a Rolls Royce engine in the Rolls Royce car. We have a lot of money (compared to every other League 1 club). We have a brand new stadium on the way (fitting of least Championship football). All we need now is a manager in the same calabre.

Unfortunately, our chairman can't seem to drive his Rolls Royce without a Lada engine underneath the bonnet.
“Apology is not about saying I'm sorry, but it is about the meaning you put behind the apology and admitting that you are the wrong part.”
― Unarine Ramaru
Pufc1971

Post by Pufc1971 »

Get in the Cowleys Brothers quick 4 very poor results against average teams.Thank you Fergie for the lovely memories especially Old Trafford a club legend cert!.
HantsPosh

Post by HantsPosh »

You get any lovely memories with the Cowley brothers, just a crick in your neck from watching the ball in the air the whole time and the flying elbows from their forwards. Huddersfield got rid of them sharpish for a reason.
Brianposh

Post by Brianposh »

Stay where you are Fergie..............................He 'aint going nowhere.
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.
Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller »

HantsPosh wrote: 03 Dec 2020, 13:33 You get any lovely memories with the Cowley brothers, just a crick in your neck from watching the ball in the air the whole time and the flying elbows from their forwards. Huddersfield got rid of them sharpish for a reason.
The ball flying in the air has to be a marked improvement on passing it across the back twenty times before hoofing it up front in sheer hope.

I know I say never go back, but I'd love to see McCann in the hot seat - this time with no interference.

MacAnthony has said he is a better manager now than when he left (wonder why) & I know McCann loves the club. Hull would snap up the chance of compensation as their chairman sold all the best players last season under Grant's nose.
― Unarine Ramaru
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

Gaz_Miller wrote: 03 Dec 2020, 14:14
HantsPosh wrote: 03 Dec 2020, 13:33 You get any lovely memories with the Cowley brothers, just a crick in your neck from watching the ball in the air the whole time and the flying elbows from their forwards. Huddersfield got rid of them sharpish for a reason.
The ball flying in the air has to be a marked improvement on passing it across the back twenty times before hoofing it up front in sheer hope.

I know I say never go back, but I'd love to see McCann in the hot seat - this time with no interference.

MacAnthony has said he is a better manager now than when he left (wonder why) & I know McCann loves the club. Hull would snap up the chance of compensation as their chairman sold all the best players last season under Grant's nose.
I'd be surprised if Grant would come back to be honest. All those complaining about long ball football under the Cowley brothers are clearly not watching Posh. We add three passes across the back line before the hoof forward to JCH. Not replacing Maddison is a mistake that no-one is talking about. Far from our strikers making Maddison look great, he made Marriott, Washington and even Toney better with his vision and creativity. Now, it's all about Dembele doing something special (and he did create the gilt edged chances for Broom and Szmodics last night) or JCH getting on the end of something hopeful. I'm afraid that Fergie ain't going anywhere, we need to accept that the Chairman likes him and Fergie is the type of "yes man" that DMac likes...whenever we have had strong personalities such as Gary Johnson or Steve Evans, they have been sacked despite us being in play off positions and Fergie has come back to inherit their work...it's a groundhog day of a season at this point but I fully expect us to get promoted automatically as we have the most expensive squad in the league and that tells against a whole season.

Surprised to see that Wimbledon were playing their 4th game in 10 days or so last night - we should have mullered them
HantsPosh

Post by HantsPosh »

The most expensive squad hasn't worked for Sunderland, Portsmouth or Ipswich in the last 3 seasons (1 season for Ipswich)
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

tonyp wrote: 03 Dec 2020, 01:36
JohnC wrote: 02 Dec 2020, 22:30 Still, 'we were by far the better team and were all over them', so that's all right.
Are you disputing the fact that we were the better team? Or that we were all over them?
Or are you suggesting that we should think that's all right?
I watched the game and we were, in my opinion, the better team. And we had by far the majority of possession. There were pink shirts everywhere.
They didn't deserve to win, in my opinion.
As stumpy says "we should be dominating teams like this and beating them". We dominated them but we didn't beat them.
'....we were the better team', is an opinion, not a fact.
AFC Wimbledon scored more goals than we did. They conceded fewer goals than we did. They won the game. Those are facts.

Once one enters the realm of 'merit', of 'getting what we did/did not deserve', there are few obviously conclusive arguments (although I'm not sure many would challenge the view that Chorley were the better team and deserved their win over us). Fleetwood and Hull fans probably feel they didn't deserve to lose against us. The Plymouth manager opined, 'We were unfortunate not to take a point here'. Butler probably deserved to get sent off against Blackpool. And so on. If a hypothetical 'Merit Adjudication Panel' awards us a point against Wimbledon, then it would probably make the same judgement in favour of Fleetwood and Hull; and we'd be three points worse off.
HantsPosh

Post by HantsPosh »

But we were 'outstanding' in thrashing Plymouth 1-0, whose league results either side of said thrashing were 1-5 & 0-4
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

HantsPosh wrote: 03 Dec 2020, 15:41 But we were 'outstanding' in thrashing Plymouth 1-0, whose league results either side of said thrashing were 1-5 & 0-4
We certainly were better than Plymouth first half but were hanging on at the end...they could have snatched a draw...Fergie's view of the performance in that game gets more rose tinted the further away it is....Real Crewe exposed the myth
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

stumpy wrote: 03 Dec 2020, 15:48
HantsPosh wrote: 03 Dec 2020, 15:41 But we were 'outstanding' in thrashing Plymouth 1-0, whose league results either side of said thrashing were 1-5 & 0-4
We certainly were better than Plymouth first half but were hanging on at the end...they could have snatched a draw...Fergie's view of the performance in that game gets more rose tinted the further away it is....Real Crewe exposed the myth
Don't you mean 'Crewe ReAlexandra'?