Retained List

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

Gaz_Miller
Posts: 166
Joined: 19 Mar 2019, 11:56

Retained List

Post by Gaz_Miller » 07 May 2019, 15:16

Surprised about Chapman, I didn't think he was half as bad as some have made him out to be.

Cooke, O'Hara, Stevens & Buckley-Ricketts also available for transfer - no loss with any of them.

All four out of contract are gone plus the six loanees.

That's fifteen gone in total (if we sell the transfer listed guys).


We're down to the bare fackin' bones.
I have no internet friends

Wycliffe
Posts: 1748
Joined: 07 Sep 2015, 07:20
Location: PISA land

Re: Retained List

Post by Wycliffe » 07 May 2019, 16:42

Gaz_Miller wrote:
07 May 2019, 15:16
Surprised about Chapman, I didn't think he was half as bad as some have made him out to be.

Cooke, O'Hara, Stevens & Buckley-Ricketts also available for transfer - no loss with any of them.

All four out of contract are gone plus the six loanees.

That's fifteen gone in total (if we sell the transfer listed guys).


We're down to the bare fackin' bones.
Not really mate, a few players already signed and ready to go.
The loanees were always going back and except for messrs white & knight that's fine.
I have no doubt as ever there will be players more than willing to come, despite the past few seasons we still have a good reputation and young up n' coming players know they'll get a good move if they do well.

Quite how Bennett has survived I do not know although tbf he had a few good matches late on and maybe Fergie thinks there's something in him.

Exciting times ahead pre-season at least :lol:

User avatar
ashman
Posts: 17583
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: Retained List

Post by ashman » 07 May 2019, 17:45

Wycliffe wrote:
07 May 2019, 16:42
Gaz_Miller wrote:
07 May 2019, 15:16
Surprised about Chapman, I didn't think he was half as bad as some have made him out to be.

Cooke, O'Hara, Stevens & Buckley-Ricketts also available for transfer - no loss with any of them.

All four out of contract are gone plus the six loanees.

That's fifteen gone in total (if we sell the transfer listed guys).


We're down to the bare fackin' bones.
Not really mate, a few players already signed and ready to go.
The loanees were always going back and except for messrs white & knight that's fine.
I have no doubt as ever there will be players more than willing to come, despite the past few seasons we still have a good reputation and young up n' coming players know they'll get a good move if they do well.

Quite how Bennett has survived I do not know although tbf he had a few good matches late on and maybe Fergie thinks there's something in him.

Exciting times ahead pre-season at least :lol:
Yep, I can go with that too. I'm surprised that Fergie has given the nod for O'Hara to go as he is one of those he hasn't seen either in training or in the first team. I personally saw loads of potential there and his spell at the beginning of the season and his efforts in Portugal should not have been overlooked. The Lincoln fans absolutely love him and I think we may have missed a trick with the lad - unless anybody knows any better. (Maybe some trouble making in the background possibly.????)
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

User avatar
Brianposh
Posts: 9454
Joined: 06 May 2005, 13:13
Location: Within sight and sound of London Road.

Re: Retained List

Post by Brianposh » 07 May 2019, 18:37

I would have kept Chapman and offered a Contract for Knight. Otherwise I have no big problem with the list.

p.s. Chapman lives next door to my youngest son, but I still think he would make a good understudy.
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 28242
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: El Dub

Re: Retained List

Post by bristleposh » 07 May 2019, 22:54

I'm surprised we are keeping O'Malley over Chapman, especially as Ferguson gave the latter the number one shirt for the sharp end of the season. I personally thought O'Malley should have been in those games. We need a decent goalkeeping coach because the one we have although a club legend is taking the keepers backwards. I'm sure Chapman at the start of the season used to come out and catch the ball from corners. Now he either stays on his line or flaps at the ball pushing it out to the on rushing strikers. The decent loanees, ie Knight and White, were never going to stay. We are well shot of the others.
The Difference Between Stupidity and Genius Is That Genius Has Its Limits

Wycliffe
Posts: 1748
Joined: 07 Sep 2015, 07:20
Location: PISA land

Re: Retained List

Post by Wycliffe » 08 May 2019, 07:32

bristleposh wrote:
07 May 2019, 22:54
I'm surprised we are keeping O'Malley over Chapman, especially as Ferguson gave the latter the number one shirt for the sharp end of the season. I personally thought O'Malley should have been in those games. We need a decent goalkeeping coach because the one we have although a club legend is taking the keepers backwards. I'm sure Chapman at the start of the season used to come out and catch the ball from corners. Now he either stays on his line or flaps at the ball pushing it out to the on rushing strikers. The decent loanees, ie Knight and White, were never going to stay. We are well shot of the others.
Your old man's memory is playing tricks mate, he never came and caught crosses.
I went on a Accrington Stanley site when we signed him and they said his goals conceded record was more due to the 4 in front of him and he'd never come for a cross.

His distribution is also poor and his style of kicking from his hands looks uncomfortable, is ineffective and gives the ball away constantly.
I have to be honest he does not look comfortable in any aspect of a goalkeepers game, communication is paramount and he is mute.

The answer about keeping O'Malley is simple I would say.

Cheap, young and I would say has some promise whereas Chapman is older and clearly can't learn from his mistakes.
Connor has to improve his decision making but like all keepers except a few we've had his shot stopping is decent.

Nobody loves Tyles more than me but I would imagine questions have been asked about the relative keepers lack of progress.

Gaz_Miller
Posts: 166
Joined: 19 Mar 2019, 11:56

Re: Retained List

Post by Gaz_Miller » 08 May 2019, 08:16

Wycliffe wrote:
08 May 2019, 07:32
Your old man's memory is playing tricks mate, he never came and caught crosses.
I went on a Accrington Stanley site when we signed him and they said his goals conceded record was more due to the 4 in front of him and he'd never come for a cross.

His distribution is also poor and his style of kicking from his hands looks uncomfortable, is ineffective and gives the ball away constantly.
I have to be honest he does not look comfortable in any aspect of a goalkeepers game, communication is paramount and he is mute.

The answer about keeping O'Malley is simple I would say.

Cheap, young and I would say has some promise whereas Chapman is older and clearly can't learn from his mistakes.
Connor has to improve his decision making but like all keepers except a few we've had his shot stopping is decent.

Nobody loves Tyles more than me but I would imagine questions have been asked about the relative keepers lack of progress.
Ridiculous to make Chapman sound that bad. He became a scapegoat amongst those who don't understand & it's stuck ever since. Agree we need a new keeper, as Chapman isn't quite good enough for a promotion team but he's by far from the weakest link this season.

The reason we're keeping O'Flappy over Chapman is purely financial. Posh can't afford any high wage earner to sit on the bench.
I have no internet friends

User avatar
ashman
Posts: 17583
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: Retained List

Post by ashman » 08 May 2019, 08:39

Gaz_Miller wrote:
08 May 2019, 08:16
Ridiculous to make Chapman sound that bad. He became a scapegoat amongst those who don't understand & it's stuck ever since. Agree we need a new keeper, as Chapman isn't quite good enough for a promotion team but he's by far from the weakest link this season.
The reason we're keeping O'Flappy over Chapman is purely financial. Posh can't afford any high wage earner to sit on the bench.
Almost certainly part of the reckoning but I suspect that a keeper who is four years younger is almost certain to spend most of the season on the bench. He is still at an age to be coached. I have been wondering about the qualities of Tyler. Maybe it is time to look again at that position.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 28242
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: El Dub

Re: Retained List

Post by bristleposh » 08 May 2019, 08:46

I just knew I wouldn't get it right, but so many goalkeepers over recent years appear to go backwards once they put on a Posh jersey, a prime example had to be Joe Lewis, people put a lot of it down to his injury, but he seems to have improved now, with better coaching.
The Difference Between Stupidity and Genius Is That Genius Has Its Limits

Gaz_Miller
Posts: 166
Joined: 19 Mar 2019, 11:56

Re: Retained List

Post by Gaz_Miller » 08 May 2019, 08:51

bristleposh wrote:
08 May 2019, 08:46
I just knew I wouldn't get it right, but so many goalkeepers over recent years appear to go backwards once they put on a Posh jersey, a prime example had to be Joe Lewis, people put a lot of it down to his injury, but he seems to have improved now, with better coaching.
Joe Lewis was/is a much better goalkeeper than the usual suspects gave him credit for. He's had a very good career since leaving Posh - better than any other keeper in recent years.

You & ashman are probably right - the problem might not be with the actual ability of our keepers but those who are coaching them.
I have no internet friends

User avatar
tonyp
Posts: 19389
Joined: 25 Jun 2005, 14:22
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Re: Retained List

Post by tonyp » 08 May 2019, 10:05

So we're looking for a goalkeeper coach as well as a goalkeeper?
Being happy never goes out of style

ontheup
Posts: 15
Joined: 17 Mar 2008, 13:05

Re: Retained List

Post by ontheup » 09 May 2019, 11:25

Has Lee Taylor left the club?

User avatar
ashman
Posts: 17583
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: Retained List

Post by ashman » 09 May 2019, 17:07

ontheup wrote:
09 May 2019, 11:25
Has Lee Taylor left the club?
Lee Taylor was head of 'Strength and Conditioning' at Posh. He came with Evans but I can't find out if he is still here.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

User avatar
Poshay
Posts: 5969
Joined: 10 Nov 2009, 11:31
Location: PE10

Re: Retained List

Post by Poshay » 13 May 2019, 13:01

Any chance of Tommy Rowe returning?
Halifax Town,Huddersfield Town Leeds United Hibernian Millwall Margate POSH
From the Slough of Despond to the Land of Hope for Glory. : :P l:

Wycliffe
Posts: 1748
Joined: 07 Sep 2015, 07:20
Location: PISA land

Re: Retained List

Post by Wycliffe » 13 May 2019, 19:25

ashman wrote:
09 May 2019, 17:07
ontheup wrote:
09 May 2019, 11:25
Has Lee Taylor left the club?
Lee Taylor was head of 'Strength and Conditioning' at Posh. He came with Evans but I can't find out if he is still here.
Been mutualled

Post Reply