Grant McCann

Chat about any non-Posh related football matters here.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

tonyp

Re: Grant McCann

Post by tonyp » 07 May 2019, 05:34

BanburyPosh wrote:
06 May 2019, 23:12
Ooh, even though they’ve scraped into a playoff spot, aren’t they all bitter up north?

:clap: :comeon: :clap:
They are. But, as Gaz says, they seem to be allowed to post anything they like.
Most of them certainly don't seem to like Fergie.
All he has to do now is prove them wrong.
I don't mind if Grant McCann becomes a good manager. I just want us to make the playoffs, or better still automatic promotion, next season.
Being happy never goes out of style

ashman

Post by ashman » 07 May 2019, 11:31

tonyp wrote:
07 May 2019, 05:34
BanburyPosh wrote:
06 May 2019, 23:12
Ooh, even though they’ve scraped into a playoff spot, aren’t they all bitter up north?

They are. But, as Gaz says, they seem to be allowed to post anything they like.
Most of them certainly don't seem to like Fergie.
All he has to do now is prove them wrong.
I don't mind if Grant McCann becomes a good manager. I just want us to make the playoffs, or better still automatic promotion, next season.
I agree Tony. I think the thing that most Posh fans have against McCann is the instruction he gave to Sadlier and his full back to play on when it was obvious to all and sundry that O'Malley had deliberately thrown the ball out of play for an injury to Joe Ward.
By the laws of the game he was correct because Joe was in fact off the field of play at the time. However, I was surprised that 'Gentleman McCann' encouraged his team to play on instead of throwing the ball back to the keeper to resume play. I have never seen such a poor example of 'ungentlemanly conduct' on a football field, especially when the game, up to that point, had been played in a very civilised manner!
Unfortunately the conduct of some of our 'over enthusiastic' lads went ballistic and the bad feelings seemed to have remained since then. I know my feelings towards McCann have changed dramatically!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller » 07 May 2019, 12:57

ashman wrote:
07 May 2019, 11:31
I agree Tony. I think the thing that most Posh fans have against McCann is the instruction he gave to Sadlier and his full back to play on when it was obvious to all and sundry that O'Malley had deliberately thrown the ball out of play for an injury to Joe Ward.
By the laws of the game he was correct because Joe was in fact off the field of play at the time. However, I was surprised that 'Gentleman McCann' encouraged his team to play on instead of throwing the ball back to the keeper to resume play. I have never seen such a poor example of 'ungentlemanly conduct' on a football field, especially when the game, up to that point, had been played in a very civilised manner!
Unfortunately the conduct of some of our 'over enthusiastic' lads went ballistic and the bad feelings seemed to have remained since then. I know my feelings towards McCann have changed dramatically!
100% agree with everything you say.

McCanns behaviour that day was totally unacceptable against the club that gave him his break into football management. Allowing his subs to wind up the fans who used to sing his name wasn't pleasant either.

I hope Charlton get double figures against them.
I have no internet friends

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 20 May 2019, 00:49

Gaz_Miller wrote:
07 May 2019, 12:57

Well they didn't did they!

ashman

Post by ashman » 20 May 2019, 06:56

tonyp wrote:
20 May 2019, 00:49
Gaz_Miller wrote:

No, but Doncaster failed in an even more ignominious way - losing to penalties! :lol: :lol:

Poshay

Post by Poshay » 20 May 2019, 07:34

ashman wrote:
20 May 2019, 06:56
tonyp wrote:
Gaz_Miller wrote:

No, but Doncaster failed in an even more ignominious way - losing to penalties! :lol: :lol:
With ex Poshie Tommy Rowe missing the vital one despite finding the target in open play.
Halifax Town,Huddersfield Town Leeds United Hibernian Millwall Margate POSH
From the Slough of Despond to the Land of Hope for Glory. : :P l:

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 20 May 2019, 09:36

ashman wrote:
20 May 2019, 06:56
tonyp wrote:
Gaz_Miller wrote:

Losing on penalties is slightly better than not making the playoffs.
Well done Grant McCann.
I would be happier if we had made the playoffs and lost on penalties.

Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller » 20 May 2019, 10:38

tonyp wrote:
20 May 2019, 09:36
Well done Grant McCann.
Grant McCann was out of order when we played Doncaster away. You had to be there.

Legend or not, he should never forget who gave him his break into football management & he also shouldn't forget who helped him get the job at Doncaster.

PoshCynic

Post by PoshCynic » 20 May 2019, 14:51

Gaz_Miller wrote:
20 May 2019, 10:38
tonyp wrote:
20 May 2019, 09:36
Well done Grant McCann.
Grant McCann was out of order when we played Doncaster away. You had to be there.

Legend or not, he should never forget who gave him his break into football management & he also shouldn't forget who helped him get the job at Doncaster.
Or who sacked him?

Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller » 20 May 2019, 15:21

PoshCynic wrote:
20 May 2019, 14:51
Or who sacked him?
If Evans was to be sacked then McCann certainly had to go. Besides, the football under McCann was diabolical - let's not rewrite history.

ashman

Post by ashman » 20 May 2019, 15:54

Gaz_Miller wrote:
20 May 2019, 15:21
PoshCynic wrote:
20 May 2019, 14:51
Or who sacked him?
If Evans was to be sacked then McCann certainly had to go. Besides, the football under McCann was diabolical - let's not rewrite history.
Towards the end of McAnn's tenure some of the football played became very stagnant. I would like to think that this was a reflection of the limited quality of the squad, not his abilities as a coach. It's a pity that DMac didn't show a little more patience and realise that, no matter who was in charge, we were never going to get into the playoffs of 2018. All that was needed for the following year was a 'mini-clearout' bringing in four or five top players at the beginning of the season just gone. Instead he panicked and appointed Steve Evans who turned out to be one of the biggest mistakes he has ever made. The money wasted on Evans' complete clear-out and (no doubt) a huge wedge on the man himself would have been served better keeping McCann in place and giving him a decent kitty to go out and buy those top players.
The limited way in which we were playing was superb as opposed to the 'kick and run in the Playing Field' rubbish that Evans subsequently served up.

Gaz_Miller

Post by Gaz_Miller » 20 May 2019, 17:11

ashman wrote:
20 May 2019, 15:54
Towards the end of McAnn's tenure some of the football played became very stagnant. I would like to think that this was a reflection of the limited quality of the squad, not his abilities as a coach. It's a pity that DMac didn't show a little more patience and realise that, no matter who was in charge, we were never going to get into the playoffs of 2018. All that was needed for the following year was a 'mini-clearout' bringing in four or five top players at the beginning of the season just gone. Instead he panicked and appointed Steve Evans who turned out to be one of the biggest mistakes he has ever made. The money wasted on Evans' complete clear-out and (no doubt) a huge wedge on the man himself would have been served better keeping McCann in place and giving him a decent kitty to go out and buy those top players.
The limited way in which we were playing was superb as opposed to the 'kick and run in the Playing Field' rubbish that Evans subsequently served up.
And got us in the play-offs :wink:

tonyp

Post by tonyp » 21 May 2019, 10:11

ashman wrote:
20 May 2019, 15:54
Well said Ashman. :clap: :clap: