Promotion and play off contenders

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

pleasureboy60

Promotion and play off contenders

Post by pleasureboy60 » 04 Feb 2019, 11:49

I would be interested to hear from Posh fans about which teams they think will be promoted from Div1 this season and who they think will make the play offs. My prediction is as follows:
Luton- promoted
Barnsley- promoted
Sunderland- play offs
Portsmouth-play offs
Charlton- play offs
Doncaster-play offs
Blackpool 7th
POSH 8th

bristleposh

Re: Promotion and play off contenders

Post by bristleposh » 04 Feb 2019, 14:23

Think we’ll finish 6th or better
http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=761

ashman

Post by ashman » 04 Feb 2019, 14:31

bristleposh wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 14:23
Well said bristle. I'm sure you will be proved right!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

Poshay

Post by Poshay » 04 Feb 2019, 17:18

ashman wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 14:31
bristleposh wrote:
A lot depends on this Saturday , a proverbial six pointer.
Halifax Town,Huddersfield Town Leeds United Hibernian Millwall Margate POSH
From the Slough of Despond to the Land of Hope for Glory. : :P l:

ashman

Post by ashman » 04 Feb 2019, 17:24

Poshay wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 17:18
ashman wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 14:31
bristleposh wrote:
A lot depends on this Saturday, a proverbial six pointer.
An important game, for sure, but not the be-all and end-all to the season!

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 04 Feb 2019, 18:25

ashman wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 17:24

You should try asking a few on dotnet, I'm convinced they think the fat lady has been singing since the middle of November

Poshboyo

Post by Poshboyo » 04 Feb 2019, 22:24

This squad we have is going to struggle to maintain a top 6 place IMO, hopefully, Fergie will be given the support this summer to bring in some footballers, yes we have some good players but an awful lot of dross, we badly needed a striker in Jan not another CB be he good or not

Have we given up on Buckley-Ricketts

Saturday is a big game lose that and it'll be a struggle

Why does DMac make changes at this time in the season as much as I am behind Fergie, changing managers at this time gives the new man an uphill task
Even harder this time with the contrast in playing styles from Evans to Fergie

If Fergie pulls this off and finishes in the top six it will be up there with all his other achievements

ashman

Post by ashman » 04 Feb 2019, 23:02

Poshboyo wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 22:24
This squad we have is going to struggle to maintain a top 6 place IMO, hopefully, Fergie will be given the support this summer to bring in some footballers, yes we have some good players but an awful lot of dross, we badly needed a striker in Jan not another CB be he good or not

Why does DMac make changes at this time in the season as much as I am behind Fergie, changing managers at this time gives the new man an uphill task

If Fergie pulls this off and finishes in the top six it will be up there with all his other achievements
You hang in there and come back to this post as we head into the back end of March - when hopefully we will still be in those play-off places!

pleasureboy60

Post by pleasureboy60 » 05 Feb 2019, 09:35

Poshboyo wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 22:24

I'm hoping Fergie is only a temporary replacement until we find another manager for next season. I can't see him getting the job permanently if we fail to reach the play offs.

ashman

Post by ashman » 05 Feb 2019, 10:01

pleasureboy60 wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 09:35
I'm hoping Fergie is only a temporary replacement until we find another manager for next season. I can't see him getting the job permanently if we fail to reach the play offs.
I agree - but be assured, IMO, that we will be ready to combat those play-offs - as for winning them, well then that's another story!

Poshboyo

Post by Poshboyo » 05 Feb 2019, 12:34

Fergie is the only manager DMac can work with I expect him to be here next season unless the other two owners step in but I think they are more interested in getting the ground in their ownership and if and when they do who knows where we are heading

Big game Saturday for sure

Anybody got any ideas who could replace Fergie and be able to work with DMac he's been through many and they don't seem to last long

pleasureboy60

Post by pleasureboy60 » 05 Feb 2019, 13:12

Poshboyo wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 12:34
Fergie is the only manager DMac can work with I expect him to be here next season unless the other two owners step in but I think they are more interested in getting the ground in their ownership and if and when they do who knows where we are heading

Big game Saturday for sure

Anybody got any ideas who could replace Fergie and be able to work with DMac he's been through many and they don't seem to last long
This is a big concern for me. Shrewd and successful business man DMac may be,but when it comes to choosing managers,well that's a different matter! It always appears that he goes for the cheaper option when I feel we need to shop at Harrods rather than Lidl. I hope im wrong,but having Fergie back for a third time smells of another cheap option. It's pretty obvious whoever our next manager is,will have to abide by the club's policies and the chairman's ideas. That's probably been the case previously and then managers have decided that they want to do things differently,hence their short term employment. We have all got our own opinions on which managers we would like to see,but I think DMac will always go for the underdog rather than a top dog.

ashman

Post by ashman » 05 Feb 2019, 13:46

pleasureboy60 wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 13:12
This is a big concern for me. Shrewd and successful business man DMac may be, but when it comes to choosing managers, well that's a different matter! It always appears that he goes for the cheaper option when I feel we need to shop at Harrods rather than Lidl. I hope I'm wrong, but having Fergie back for a third time smells of another cheap option. It's pretty obvious whoever our next manager is, will have to abide by the club's policies and the chairman's ideas. That's probably been the case previously and then managers have decided that they want to do things differently, hence their short term employment. We have all got our own opinions on which managers we would like to see, but I think DMac will always go for the underdog rather than a top dog.
I see it in a slightly different way. DMac is, as you say, a very successful man manager in business and he knows how to choose good people around him or else he wouldn't have been so successful in his commercial life.
Is it not just possible that the football fraternity is very shallow, consisting of many ex players who really don't know how to manage those around them? They may have been good players and coaches but as for man managing that is an entirely different kettle of fish. It is only very rarely that football managers stay in a job for very long, as they just do not possess the man management skills to ensure that a club can move forward consistently. What I am trying to say, in a roundabout way, is that football and big business do not mix very easily and it is only when you get the mix of extremely intelligent football managers and thoughtful chairmen that the two will combine effectively. e.g. Sir Alex Ferguson, Arsene Wenger and their chairmen etc. are some of the really intelligent managers and owners that come to mind and have proved successful and can stand up to minor setbacks.
I believe that Darren Ferguson could maybe another aspiring manager of longevity, as long as fans and chairman can realise that instant success is impossible. The long game is definitely hard to play in the game of football, but it can be done!

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 05 Feb 2019, 15:36

Poshboyo wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 12:34
I hear Milton Keynes are looking for a proper team to share their facilities because nobody accepts the franchise, apart from both their supporters.

Wycliffe

Post by Wycliffe » 07 Feb 2019, 08:25

bristleposh wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 18:25
ashman wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 17:24

You should try asking a few on dotnet, I'm convinced they think the fat lady has been singing since the middle of November
You are infatuated :lol:

Some yes, not all.

I am less positive than I was because Fergie will find it hard to utilise these players and get them to play 'his way.
Naismith is a good lad, an honest pro and good at what he is good at (CH).
However Fergie would want him to be more Mark Little (shut it Bristol).
He'd want a Grant McCann in midfield etc etc.

I just can't see us winning 70% of our games which is what we'll need to make a dent in the group above and to not have the play offs as a waste of time