Pompey Saturday

Discussion on Peterborough United only.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

LB1Lane
Posts: 11
Joined: 15 Sep 2018, 17:22

Re: Pompey Saturday

Post by LB1Lane » 16 Sep 2018, 15:54

If's and buts are what forums are all about, we were nicked by a good side however, a place in the Championship is ours for the taking and I fancy we shall.

User avatar
stuie
Posts: 15565
Joined: 18 Jun 2007, 15:14
Location: cheshire

Re: Pompey Saturday

Post by stuie » 16 Sep 2018, 18:40

Poshay wrote:
16 Sep 2018, 11:16
The Police were out in force yesterday. I didn't see any trouble from the fans though. After the match they played a blinder, blocking the traffic to enable the fans to leave the stadium area in safety. It did however lead to gridlock in the town and no doubt there will be voices raised by locals if it occurs on a regular basis. That's one down side to having a decent sized crowd.
I was impressed with the police presence yesterday, it was really earie walking through town with no cars


I enjoyed my day out and I actually enjoyed the game, As like nearly all games this season we do not seem the best team, I really thought we were going to get a draw in that injury time. The atmosphere was good. I think we need to try and start Maddison and Toney, anyway not the end of the world
Plymouth to Portsmouth 2017 -2018, that ain't far

User avatar
ashman
Posts: 16967
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: Pompey Saturday

Post by ashman » 17 Sep 2018, 07:17

stuie wrote:
16 Sep 2018, 18:40
Poshay wrote:
16 Sep 2018, 11:16
The Police were out in force yesterday. I didn't see any trouble from the fans though. After the match they played a blinder, blocking the traffic to enable the fans to leave the stadium area in safety. It did however lead to gridlock in the town and no doubt there will be voices raised by locals if it occurs on a regular basis. That's one down side to having a decent sized crowd.
I was impressed with the police presence yesterday, it was really earie walking through town with no cars


I enjoyed my day out and I actually enjoyed the game, As like nearly all games this season we do not seem the best team, I really thought we were going to get a draw in that injury time. The atmosphere was good. I think we need to try and start Maddison and Toney, anyway not the end of the world
Agree. The police did seem to get their act together.
It was a wonderful atmosphere but as usual Posh have done their level best to show the wavering Peterborough public that they were not quite up to it. We seem to be a team that can play well in patches and then collapse like a pack of cards. It wasn't a collapse on Saturday as Portsmouth were a far better team for the most part and then as soon as the added time was indicated the team seemed to come alive. Toney to start for sure, especially if we persist with the long ball game employed on Saturday. Maddison I would keep as a sub until his fitness levels improve (hardly any pre-season of any consequence) and then this brings into question, 'Who do you drop' for these players? Cummings, Godden, Ward, Dembele?
Who would be a football team manager?
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

john316z
Posts: 2284
Joined: 04 Dec 2011, 23:08

Re: Pompey Saturday

Post by john316z » 17 Sep 2018, 07:36

Bluepete wrote:
16 Sep 2018, 12:19
Did Posh have a bad day or did we stop you playing? I reckon we had control of you until curtis went off. I don't know if either team will get promoted or not but I'm loving it at the mo.

We had a great day out. You've got a great couple of stands. The atmosphere was great in our end not sure what it sounded like from your perspective.

Who's the Posh player with the yellow boots. I bet he's well tricky on his day.

Good luck for the rest of the season.
Fair play to you. You snuffed out most of our attacking options to win comfortably. Great turnout by your fans. Shame about the result but it's only 1 defeat. So e of our fans are a bit doom and gloom after 1 loss but hopefully we'll bounce back next weekend

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 27633
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: El Dub

Re: Pompey Saturday

Post by bristleposh » 17 Sep 2018, 08:27

ashman wrote:
17 Sep 2018, 07:17
Toney to start for sure, especially if we persist with the long ball game employed on Saturday. Maddison I would keep as a sub until his fitness levels improve (hardly any pre-season of any consequence) and then this brings into question, 'Who do you drop' for these players? Cummings, Godden, Ward, Dembele?
Who would be a football team manager?
A fascinating fact that is overlooked by many grandstand viewers. Cummings brings so much to the team, Godden gets the goals, Ward does so much defensively to help out, perhaps the answer is 4-3-3 with Dembele, who despite being an amazing talent is very lightweight at the moment. I'd play Ward as the right sided midfield player, and use Cummings in the number ten role. Then again my knowledge is probly worse than the average Grandstand watcher.
http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=761

User avatar
ashman
Posts: 16967
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: Pompey Saturday

Post by ashman » 17 Sep 2018, 10:42

...... is the correct answer! :wink:
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 27633
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: El Dub

Re: Pompey Saturday

Post by bristleposh » 17 Sep 2018, 12:57

ashman wrote:
17 Sep 2018, 10:42
...... is the correct answer! :wink:
There, I put that right for you :lol:
http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=761

User avatar
ashman
Posts: 16967
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: Pompey Saturday

Post by ashman » 17 Sep 2018, 16:15

bristleposh wrote:
17 Sep 2018, 12:57
ashman wrote:
17 Sep 2018, 10:42
...... is the correct answer! :wink:
There, I put that right for you :lol:
Thank you. Don't know what happened there! :wink
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

john316z
Posts: 2284
Joined: 04 Dec 2011, 23:08

Re: Pompey Saturday

Post by john316z » 17 Sep 2018, 17:52

bristleposh wrote:
17 Sep 2018, 08:27
ashman wrote:
17 Sep 2018, 07:17
Toney to start for sure, especially if we persist with the long ball game employed on Saturday. Maddison I would keep as a sub until his fitness levels improve (hardly any pre-season of any consequence) and then this brings into question, 'Who do you drop' for these players? Cummings, Godden, Ward, Dembele?
Who would be a football team manager?
A fascinating fact that is overlooked by many grandstand viewers. Cummings brings so much to the team, Godden gets the goals, Ward does so much defensively to help out, perhaps the answer is 4-3-3 with Dembele, who despite being an amazing talent is very lightweight at the moment. I'd play Ward as the right sided midfield player, and use Cummings in the number ten role. Then again my knowledge is probly worse than the average Grandstand watcher.
So same players different formation? No Toney or Maddison? Narrow and no wingers? Can't see that suiting Evans and is that off the back of 1 defeat?

User avatar
ashman
Posts: 16967
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: Pompey Saturday

Post by ashman » 18 Sep 2018, 00:36

john316z wrote:
17 Sep 2018, 17:52
bristleposh wrote:
17 Sep 2018, 08:27
ashman wrote:
17 Sep 2018, 07:17
Toney to start for sure, especially if we persist with the long ball game employed on Saturday. Maddison I would keep as a sub until his fitness levels improve (hardly any pre-season of any consequence) and then this brings into question, 'Who do you drop' for these players? Cummings, Godden, Ward, Dembele?
Who would be a football team manager?
A fascinating fact that is overlooked by many grandstand viewers. Cummings brings so much to the team, Godden gets the goals, Ward does so much defensively to help out, perhaps the answer is 4-3-3 with Dembele, who despite being an amazing talent is very lightweight at the moment. I'd play Ward as the right sided midfield player, and use Cummings in the number ten role. Then again my knowledge is probly worse than the average Grandstand watcher.
So same players different formation? No Toney or Maddison? Narrow and no wingers? Can't see that suiting Evans and is that off the back of 1 defeat?
Yep, so who would be a manager? Tough decisions are what they are paid for!
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

User avatar
bristleposh
Posts: 27633
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:14
Location: El Dub

Re: Pompey Saturday

Post by bristleposh » 18 Sep 2018, 08:41

john316z wrote:
17 Sep 2018, 17:52
bristleposh wrote:
17 Sep 2018, 08:27
ashman wrote:
17 Sep 2018, 07:17
Toney to start for sure, especially if we persist with the long ball game employed on Saturday. Maddison I would keep as a sub until his fitness levels improve (hardly any pre-season of any consequence) and then this brings into question, 'Who do you drop' for these players? Cummings, Godden, Ward, Dembele?
Who would be a football team manager?
A fascinating fact that is overlooked by many grandstand viewers. Cummings brings so much to the team, Godden gets the goals, Ward does so much defensively to help out, perhaps the answer is 4-3-3 with Dembele, who despite being an amazing talent is very lightweight at the moment. I'd play Ward as the right sided midfield player, and use Cummings in the number ten role. Then again my knowledge is probly worse than the average Grandstand watcher.
So same players different formation? No Toney or Maddison? Narrow and no wingers? Can't see that suiting Evans and is that off the back of 1 defeat?
If you'd have read my post first instead of assuming I was getting on my high horse after one defeat you would notice that I was suggesting starting Toney, in place of Dembele, the width can still be supplied in a 4-3-3 by the fron two spreading out, in the same way CMS and Washington have done in the recent past. Despite the good results it has been evident for some time, not just after one defeat. The fact that I have not included Maddison is down to what others have called his lack of fitness, having not participated in pre season. I don't think he works hard enough to fit into a 4-3-3 and has never convinced me that he could play the number ten role: I'm not sure whether Cummings could either but I think he has the greater ability to fill into that role. I have just spotted where the confusion may have arisen in my earlier post where I had put with Dembele it should have read without.
http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=761

john316z
Posts: 2284
Joined: 04 Dec 2011, 23:08

Re: Pompey Saturday

Post by john316z » 18 Sep 2018, 10:15

bristleposh wrote:
18 Sep 2018, 08:41
If you'd have read my post first instead of assuming I was getting on my high horse after one defeat you would notice that I was suggesting starting Toney, in place of Dembele, the width can still be supplied in a 4-3-3 by the fron two spreading out, in the same way CMS and Washington have done in the recent past. Despite the good results it has been evident for some time, not just after one defeat. The fact that I have not included Maddison is down to what others have called his lack of fitness, having not participated in pre season. I don't think he works hard enough to fit into a 4-3-3 and has never convinced me that he could play the number ten role: I'm not sure whether Cummings could either but I think he has the greater ability to fill into that role. I have just spotted where the confusion may have arisen in my earlier post where I had put with Dembele it should have read without.
Jeez Bristle.... Are you sure you're not a millenial? Looking to be offended when there's no intention on my part whatsoever (at least on this occasion) :D

I was genuinely interested in how you thought the line up would work as I can't see much outside 4-4-2 with Evans and believe he's mainly built the whole squad that way. The issue from Saturday, and other games based on comments I've read, is more about who we get the ball into the box. Everyone goes for the long ball description, which we employed and failed on Saturday, but Evans' style of play is more than that. As you pointed out above getting the ball to strikers to run into space is far more effective, especially with Godden and Cummings or Toney for that matter. he has far more to his game than just being physical

I still can't see where Maddison fits in. For all I've supported him in the past, he will never worked hard enough for the current manager - IMHO

User avatar
ashman
Posts: 16967
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 08:51

Re: Pompey Saturday

Post by ashman » 18 Sep 2018, 10:45

john316z wrote:
18 Sep 2018, 10:15
bristleposh wrote:
18 Sep 2018, 08:41
If you'd have read my post first instead of assuming I was getting on my high horse after one defeat you would notice that I was suggesting starting Toney, in place of Dembele, the width can still be supplied in a 4-3-3 by the fron two spreading out, in the same way CMS and Washington have done in the recent past. Despite the good results it has been evident for some time, not just after one defeat. The fact that I have not included Maddison is down to what others have called his lack of fitness, having not participated in pre season. I don't think he works hard enough to fit into a 4-3-3 and has never convinced me that he could play the number ten role: I'm not sure whether Cummings could either but I think he has the greater ability to fill into that role. I have just spotted where the confusion may have arisen in my earlier post where I had put with Dembele it should have read without.
Jeez Bristle.... Are you sure you're not a millenial? Looking to be offended when there's no intention on my part whatsoever (at least on this occasion) :D

I was genuinely interested in how you thought the line up would work as I can't see much outside 4-4-2 with Evans and believe he's mainly built the whole squad that way. The issue from Saturday, and other games based on comments I've read, is more about who we get the ball into the box. Everyone goes for the long ball description, which we employed and failed on Saturday, but Evans' style of play is more than that. As you pointed out above getting the ball to strikers to run into space is far more effective, especially with Godden and Cummings or Toney for that matter. he has far more to his game than just being physical

I still can't see where Maddison fits in. For all I've supported him in the past, he will never worked hard enough for the current manager - IMHO
All good points and I tend to agree with most but it has been interesting that Maddison has affected the outcome of most of the games he has come on as sub. e.g. his superb instinctive inside ball to Jamie Walker leading to Matt Goddens goal on Saturday and his free kick with which Toney should have scored - and he was only on the pitch for 20 mins. Things happen when he plays but I do agree that at the moment he is best serving the club as a sub.
Hard work is not the be all and end all to playing football. There has to be some flair too and Dembele and Maddison are the only ones we have at the moment. Dembele is also a player that needs to be categorised as a 'sub' as from about 60 mins he is very much a passenger and should be subbed. He is only a wee slip of a lad, with little experience and maybe eventually he could become a 90 minutes player.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

john316z
Posts: 2284
Joined: 04 Dec 2011, 23:08

Re: Pompey Saturday

Post by john316z » 18 Sep 2018, 11:13

ashman wrote:
18 Sep 2018, 10:45
john316z wrote:
18 Sep 2018, 10:15
bristleposh wrote:
18 Sep 2018, 08:41
If you'd have read my post first instead of assuming I was getting on my high horse after one defeat you would notice that I was suggesting starting Toney, in place of Dembele, the width can still be supplied in a 4-3-3 by the fron two spreading out, in the same way CMS and Washington have done in the recent past. Despite the good results it has been evident for some time, not just after one defeat. The fact that I have not included Maddison is down to what others have called his lack of fitness, having not participated in pre season. I don't think he works hard enough to fit into a 4-3-3 and has never convinced me that he could play the number ten role: I'm not sure whether Cummings could either but I think he has the greater ability to fill into that role. I have just spotted where the confusion may have arisen in my earlier post where I had put with Dembele it should have read without.
Jeez Bristle.... Are you sure you're not a millenial? Looking to be offended when there's no intention on my part whatsoever (at least on this occasion) :D

I was genuinely interested in how you thought the line up would work as I can't see much outside 4-4-2 with Evans and believe he's mainly built the whole squad that way. The issue from Saturday, and other games based on comments I've read, is more about who we get the ball into the box. Everyone goes for the long ball description, which we employed and failed on Saturday, but Evans' style of play is more than that. As you pointed out above getting the ball to strikers to run into space is far more effective, especially with Godden and Cummings or Toney for that matter. he has far more to his game than just being physical

I still can't see where Maddison fits in. For all I've supported him in the past, he will never worked hard enough for the current manager - IMHO
All good points and I tend to agree with most but it has been interesting that Maddison has affected the outcome of most of the games he has come on as sub. e.g. his superb instinctive inside ball to Jamie Walker leading to Matt Goddens goal on Saturday and his free kick with which Toney should have scored - and he was only on the pitch for 20 mins. Things happen when he plays but I do agree that at the moment he is best serving the club as a sub.
Hard work is not the be all and end all to playing football. There has to be some flair too and Dembele and Maddison are the only ones we have at the moment. Dembele is also a player that needs to be categorised as a 'sub' as from about 60 mins he is very much a passenger and should be subbed. He is only a wee slip of a lad, with little experience and maybe eventually he could become a 90 minutes player.
Like you say, who'd be a football manager? :)

Wycliffe
Posts: 1526
Joined: 07 Sep 2015, 07:20
Location: PISA land

Re: Pompey Saturday

Post by Wycliffe » 18 Sep 2018, 19:06

ashman wrote:
18 Sep 2018, 10:45
john316z wrote:
18 Sep 2018, 10:15
bristleposh wrote:
18 Sep 2018, 08:41
If you'd have read my post first instead of assuming I was getting on my high horse after one defeat you would notice that I was suggesting starting Toney, in place of Dembele, the width can still be supplied in a 4-3-3 by the fron two spreading out, in the same way CMS and Washington have done in the recent past. Despite the good results it has been evident for some time, not just after one defeat. The fact that I have not included Maddison is down to what others have called his lack of fitness, having not participated in pre season. I don't think he works hard enough to fit into a 4-3-3 and has never convinced me that he could play the number ten role: I'm not sure whether Cummings could either but I think he has the greater ability to fill into that role. I have just spotted where the confusion may have arisen in my earlier post where I had put with Dembele it should have read without.
Jeez Bristle.... Are you sure you're not a millenial? Looking to be offended when there's no intention on my part whatsoever (at least on this occasion) :D

I was genuinely interested in how you thought the line up would work as I can't see much outside 4-4-2 with Evans and believe he's mainly built the whole squad that way. The issue from Saturday, and other games based on comments I've read, is more about who we get the ball into the box. Everyone goes for the long ball description, which we employed and failed on Saturday, but Evans' style of play is more than that. As you pointed out above getting the ball to strikers to run into space is far more effective, especially with Godden and Cummings or Toney for that matter. he has far more to his game than just being physical

I still can't see where Maddison fits in. For all I've supported him in the past, he will never worked hard enough for the current manager - IMHO
All good points and I tend to agree with most but it has been interesting that Maddison has affected the outcome of most of the games he has come on as sub. e.g. his superb instinctive inside ball to Jamie Walker leading to Matt Goddens goal on Saturday and his free kick with which Toney should have scored - and he was only on the pitch for 20 mins. Things happen when he plays but I do agree that at the moment he is best serving the club as a sub.
Hard work is not the be all and end all to playing football. There has to be some flair too and Dembele and Maddison are the only ones we have at the moment. Dembele is also a player that needs to be categorised as a 'sub' as from about 60 mins he is very much a passenger and should be subbed. He is only a wee slip of a lad, with little experience and maybe eventually he could become a 90 minutes player.

See this is what gets me with those who only see MM with rose tinted glasses and I acknowledge you agree he is only any good to us as a sub. :wink:
I posted elsewhere on here that the pass inside was truly superb and that the cross to Toney deserved better.

However and this was obviously missed by the MM appreciation society his other crosses/free kicks were of a standard previously shown by Ward who has other attributes Marcus does not.
Also he was half a second from a minimum 3 match ban for an attempted horrendous two footed studs first assault.

Also the previous points about splitting the pitch and making it wider with CMS/Washington type players I don't recall either of them being any good at crosses and anyway I recognise Cummings as being an excellent all round footballer and not just a goal scorer so wouldn't want to see him sacrificed.
Dembele could be a genuine one in a million and has to start for the foreseeable imo.

John remember. Bristol is astonishing









ly old

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests