Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

Brianposh

Re: Pompey Saturday

Post by Brianposh » 15 Sep 2018, 23:21

john316z wrote:
15 Sep 2018, 23:03
Brianposh wrote:
15 Sep 2018, 20:19
Pompey had the edge over us all over. We made a real game of it after our subs. came on. Maybe Maddison should have appeared after half-time.
Yes no shame in losing today. I'm not seeing what Maddison is offering even in his cameo subs appearances now. Can't believe how much his stock has fallen in such a short space of time
He changed the game again today when he came on, with the other subs. as he has done before this last 3 games. Our forward play was not working before he was introduced.
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.

ashman

Post by ashman » 16 Sep 2018, 00:30

Brianposh wrote:
15 Sep 2018, 23:21
john316z wrote:
Brianposh wrote:
Pompey had the edge over us all over. We made a real game of it after our subs. came on. Maybe Maddison should have appeared after half-time.
Yes no shame in losing today. I'm not seeing what Maddison is offering even in his cameo subs appearances now. Can't believe how much his stock has fallen in such a short space of time
He changed the game again today when he came on, with the other subs. as he has done before this last 3 games. Our forward play was not working before he was introduced.
Is the correct answer. I'm only surprised that both he and Toney have not been brought on earlier in the last few games, especially as we now favour the long ball so much. I guess that may change next week against Gillingham.
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

Wycliffe

Post by Wycliffe » 16 Sep 2018, 08:07

ashman wrote:
16 Sep 2018, 00:30
Brianposh wrote:
15 Sep 2018, 23:21
john316z wrote:

Is the correct answer. I'm only surprised that both he and Toney have not been brought on earlier in the last few games, especially as we now favour the long ball so much. I guess that may change next week against Gillingham.

I agree. MM is a good sub.

ashman

Post by ashman » 16 Sep 2018, 08:19

john316z wrote:
Brianposh wrote:
It's such a shame that Marcus's 'stock has fallen' as you say. It has been a tough time for him. He's obviously a very complicated young man but speculation about transfers has frequently up-skittled many a young player. The manager had obviously decided that he was going to have to start the season without him and rightfully decided to concentrate on the new players coming into the club. Now all the speculation is over, until at least the next window, maybe Marcus can get back some serious fitness levels, a few reserve matches and successful outings from the bench and he could become a real force for the club. He has, as Brian has already pointed out, been very influential whenever he has had minutes on the pitch. He is one of the most 'watcheable' players that we have had since Lee Tomlin left and a character that fans love to hate.
Form is temporary, class is permanent!

Wycliffe

Post by Wycliffe » 16 Sep 2018, 08:28

ashman wrote:
16 Sep 2018, 08:19
john316z wrote:
Brianposh wrote:
It's such a shame that Marcus's 'stock has fallen' as you say. It has been a tough time for him. He's obviously a very complicated young man but speculation about transfers has frequently up-skittled many a young player. The manager had obviously decided that he was going to have to start the season without him and rightfully decided to concentrate on the new players coming into the club. Now all the speculation is over, until at least the next window, maybe Marcus can get back some serious fitness levels, a few reserve matches and successful outings from the bench and he could become a real force for the club. He has, as Brian has already pointed out, been very influential whenever he has had minutes on the pitch. He is one of the most 'watcheable' players that we have had since Lee Tomlin left and a character that fans love to hate.
That ball inside for our goal was superb.
However his crossing/free kicks with one exception were woeful.

Good sub.

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 16 Sep 2018, 08:31

Having watched the full game on iFollow, I thought it strange that none of our giants could get a head on the ball in the penalty area, Taff, Bennett, O'Hara were all flat footed at that end of the pitch. Always disappointing to lose but I'd prefer to call that a blip. we weren't outplayed but out muscled. We seem at the moment to play the 4-4-2 all the game, even though sometimes the two midfielders Woodyard and O'hara are inevitably outgunned when teams only play with one striker. A plan B might be rather than more of the same, to try something different. Take off one of the central defenders and throw in another midfielder, if that tactic still doesn't produce results then a plan C needs to be found. Doing the same with different personel, ie Toney in place of Cummings and Bambi in place of Ward doesn't take away the grey area where the problem had been. Having called him Bambi as I usually do: I have to be fair to the man he didn't seem to fall over once yesterday, and did put through a sparkling ball that eventually led to our late late goal.
http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=761

ashman

Post by ashman » 16 Sep 2018, 08:49

Wycliffe wrote:
16 Sep 2018, 08:28

Good sub.
Exactly. It was just about the only 'superb' moment in the game from a Posh perspective and helped produce a very late goal. The constant high balls directed at our two midgets at the front was going nowhere against the Portsmouth defenders. Toney should start if we persist with this way of playing or, God forbid, we revert to playing football that we have all seen in odd halves of matches.

Good sub - at the moment and he will get better if allowed!

Wycliffe

Post by Wycliffe » 16 Sep 2018, 10:52

bristleposh wrote:
16 Sep 2018, 08:31
Having watched the full game on iFollow, I thought it strange that none of our giants could get a head on the ball in the penalty area, Taff, Bennett, nd throw in another midfielder, if that tactic still doesn't produce results then a plan C needs to be found.
We pump balls in to our supposed good headers of the ball but we aim the ball to their heads as opposed to an area we want them to run into so they head the ball at preferably the highest point and on the run.
Very few of those who win headers actually use any of their neck muscles but at least hitting the ball with their foreheads whilst in motion would help.
All this applies to corners and free kicks.

The ball needs hitting in at pace too as opposed to drifted in or effectively lobbed in as so often is the case.
Oh yeah and Ward for all his attributes must not get anywhere near them.

Poshay

Post by Poshay » 16 Sep 2018, 11:16

The Police were out in force yesterday. I didn't see any trouble from the fans though. After the match they played a blinder, blocking the traffic to enable the fans to leave the stadium area in safety. It did however lead to gridlock in the town and no doubt there will be voices raised by locals if it occurs on a regular basis. That's one down side to having a decent sized crowd.
Halifax Town,Huddersfield Town Leeds United Hibernian Millwall Margate POSH
From the Slough of Despond to the Land of Hope for Glory. : :P l:

Brianposh

Post by Brianposh » 16 Sep 2018, 11:27

There was a rumour a Pompey fan had climbed to the roof of one of the stands at the final whistle. No idea if true or not.
'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering'.
'No! try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.'

Elder Statesman of Message Boards and Oldie Lifetime Achievement Award.

john316z

Post by john316z » 16 Sep 2018, 12:02

Wycliffe wrote:
16 Sep 2018, 08:28
ashman wrote:
16 Sep 2018, 08:19
john316z wrote:

Good sub.
For all his creativity I can't see him fitting it Evans' formation as he's far too lazy and disinterested for that

Bluepete

Post by Bluepete » 16 Sep 2018, 12:19

Did Posh have a bad day or did we stop you playing? I reckon we had control of you until curtis went off. I don't know if either team will get promoted or not but I'm loving it at the mo.

We had a great day out. You've got a great couple of stands. The atmosphere was great in our end not sure what it sounded like from your perspective.

Who's the Posh player with the yellow boots. I bet he's well tricky on his day.

Good luck for the rest of the season.

john316z

Post by john316z » 16 Sep 2018, 12:20

If you need a good laugh head over to .net. some of the comments on there :shock: :lol:

Calling for Baldwin and Grant back.... No midfield... Blah blah blah.... I had to check the table for a moment as I though we must have got relegated rather than being 2nd

It would appear Wycliffe may be the only one capable of connecting 2 brain cells together on .net :wink:

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 16 Sep 2018, 12:41

john316z wrote:
16 Sep 2018, 12:20
If you need a good laugh head over to .net. some of the comments on there :shock: :lol:

Calling for Baldwin and Grant back.... No midfield... Blah blah blah.... I had to check the table for a moment as I though we must have got relegated rather than being 2nd

It would appear Wycliffe may be the only one capable of connecting 2 brain cells together on .net :wink:
I'd agree with that, I would imagine that a lot of posters on that board havent been to the ABAX since it was renamed
http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=761

Wycliffe

Post by Wycliffe » 16 Sep 2018, 13:40

bristleposh wrote:
16 Sep 2018, 12:41
john316z wrote:
16 Sep 2018, 12:20

I'd agree with that, I would imagine that a lot of posters on that board havent been to the ABAX since it was renamed
Well that is ******** in general although it does apply to some of the mods.

However it is only 2 posters coming out with rubbish about Woodyard/Grant or Bennett/Baldwin and they are serial morons.
Comparable numbers with here mean there should be more pillocks on .net..............however :wink:

Kind words from John though however inaccurate :lol: