Women's football

Chat about any non-Posh related football matters here.

Moderators: ashman, poshnipper

Poshay

Women's football

Post by Poshay » 09 Jan 2019, 18:04

Somebody has recently suggested that in today's atmosphere of equality for women there shouldn't be separate Golden Globes and Oscars for men and women actors. In a similar vein isn't it demeaning for women to have separate football teams and competitions? Surely they should be able to join in with men if they are good enough. If it's just a problem of physique how is that the world's best players (Messi, Hazard, Salah etc) are small. If it's a problem with sharing facilities then lads have to share the showers with men of all sexual preferences and that's OK.
Over to you Nipper. :wink:
Halifax Town,Huddersfield Town Leeds United Hibernian Millwall Margate POSH
From the Slough of Despond to the Land of Hope for Glory. : :P l:

tonyp

Re: Women's football

Post by tonyp » 10 Jan 2019, 08:48

I don't think it's demeaning to have separate football teams and competitions.
Same with cricket.
Right now the Australian women are performing far better than the Aussie men in cricket.
But I don't see it as demeaning to have women playing women and men playing men.
Generally speaking, women are not as physically strong as men. This must apply especially in football.
Being happy never goes out of style

stuie

Post by stuie » 10 Jan 2019, 11:08

I personally would have no problem in unisex football, let everybody be judged on their merits
Plymouth to Portsmouth 2017 -2018, that ain't far

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 10 Jan 2019, 13:49

stuie wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 11:08
I personally would have no problem in unisex football, let everybody be judged on their merits
gpwm, I have never understood tennis where women get equal pay to the men only play a maximum of 3 sets as opposed to 5, if they are worthy of equal money then surely they must play the men on equal terms, golf is another where there can be little doubt women should be able to compete on level terms. The prize pots for women in darts is terrible, but then so is most of the standards and as a few women over the year have beaten the odd man, playing on a level playing field for a share of the bigger prize money is a must. 2 of the better lady players Lisa Ashton and Anastasia Dobromyslova both wualified for the main event at the Alexandra Palace over Christmas, but both were elliminated at the first round stage. Snooker has had the occasional woman dip their toe in the main event but again from my weak knowledge have never caused much of a stir. I agree with the initial post, that to earn the big bucks on offer they must compete on the same playing firld, the excuse that they are not as strong as men is an excuse to limit the prize money on offer. Nicola Adams is a wonderful telent but I doubt she would have any joy against a man from light flyweight the weight below which she competes.
http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/download/file.php?id=761

ashman

Post by ashman » 10 Jan 2019, 18:35

bristleposh wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 13:49
stuie wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 11:08
gpwm, I have never understood tennis where women get equal pay to the men only play a maximum of 3 sets as opposed to 5, if they are worthy of equal money then surely they must play the men on equal terms, golf is another where there can be little doubt women should be able to compete on level terms. The prize pots for women in darts is terrible, but then so is most of the standards and as a few women over the year have beaten the odd man, playing on a level playing field for a share of the bigger prize money is a must. 2 of the better lady players Lisa Ashton and Anastasia Dobromyslova both wualified for the main event at the Alexandra Palace over Christmas, but both were elliminated at the first round stage. Snooker has had the occasional woman dip their toe in the main event but again from my weak knowledge have never caused much of a stir. I agree with the initial post, that to earn the big bucks on offer they must compete on the same playing firld, the excuse that they are not as strong as men is an excuse to limit the prize money on offer. Nicola Adams is a wonderful telent but I doubt she would have any joy against a man from light flyweight the weight below which she competes.
I don't think you are 'wualified' to make such judgements! :wink:
'Everybody needs to have a friend'

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 10 Jan 2019, 20:19

Damn it should have said wallyfied

ashman

Post by ashman » 11 Jan 2019, 01:40

bristleposh wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 20:19
Damn it should have said wallyfied
Good comeback - wally! :clap2:

Poshay

Post by Poshay » 11 Jan 2019, 08:56

In yesterday's paper Katie Whyatt was bemoaning the fact that there was no mention of women's football in the latest Match! annual and very little in other similar publications and that Fran Kirby the Woman Footballer of the year nowhere to be seen in the polls on Best Player. Would the latter even be able to get into the Posh starting eleven?
Halifax Town,Huddersfield Town Leeds United Hibernian Millwall Margate POSH
From the Slough of Despond to the Land of Hope for Glory. : :P l:

ashman

Post by ashman » 11 Jan 2019, 09:20

Poshay wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 08:56
In yesterday's paper Katie Whyatt was bemoaning the fact that there was no mention of women's football in the latest Match! annual and very little in other similar publications and that Fran Kirby the Woman Footballer of the year nowhere to be seen in the polls on Best Player. Would the latter even be able to get into the Posh starting eleven?
Totally irrelevant to compare Posh's team to some of the top players in women's football. That's like comparing Usain Bolt's 100m record of 9.58 secs to Florence Grffith-Joyner's record of 10.49 set in 1988 and still unbeaten!

bristleposh

Post by bristleposh » 11 Jan 2019, 10:09

Poshay wrote:
Having seen our midfield this season I think she'd be a shoe-in. Lets face it all they have to do is look skyward to watch the ball sail over them

ashman

Post by ashman » 11 Jan 2019, 13:35

bristleposh wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 10:09
Poshay wrote:
Having seen our midfield this season I think she'd be a shoe-in. Lets face it all they have to do is look skyward to watch the ball sail over them
Well let's hope after the Chelsea game that Evans sees the error of his ways and realises that we do have some decent midfielders that can be trusted to play the ball by passing to a Posh player. Could this be the end of 'hoofball?'

stuie

Post by stuie » 11 Jan 2019, 13:37

ashman wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 13:35
bristleposh wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 10:09
Poshay wrote:
Well let's hope after the Chelsea game that Evans sees the error of his ways and realises that we do have some decent midfielders that can be trusted to play the ball by passing to a Posh player. Could this be the end of 'hoofball?'
If only :comeon:
Plymouth to Portsmouth 2017 -2018, that ain't far